The Ferry Man

CONDOR FERRIES: Condor Liberation

Got some photos of her from Barfleur, wifi on board isn't too good at the moment though, taking ages!! Looking at her iin the berth she is much bigger than the cats, huge. Trimline staff were getting ready to start painting her. Good close up view of her.

Thanks Garth. Very good video - good poke around inside, bridge looks tiny, about the same size as NEX? Such a beautiful ship. Logo isn't too bad after all, even the ribbons, I think they will grow on me!!

Edited by Khaines

Thanks Garth. Very good video - good poke around inside, bridge looks tiny, about the same size as NEX? Such a beautiful ship. Logo isn't too bad after all, even the ribbons, I think they will grow on me!!

I like the Ferry itself but i think it's ruined by the logo, i like the traditional Red and Blue lines on the side!

I would rather she was completely white as she arrived, but she would have to have some design on her at some point, she was just a blank canvas. Still dislike those bridge wings, pity they couldn't have ones that kind of fold away when not in use. Fold away bridge wings, I liked the little cockpit before they were added, same as NEX. Why hasn't she got any?

It's to do with visibility when docking and actually being able to see where you're going rather than watching it through a camera. NEx does actually have bridge wings but they're down a deck at passenger level and an officer from the bridge descends an internal staircase to get to them. Loking from the bow, you have the tall window, then the marine evacuation shute door and then the bridge wing is just behind that; stick out and has a smaller window on it in comparison with the rest of the windows on the craft.

The Stena HSS is (was!) different, she has a unique ramp/mooring arrangement and her docking was computer controlled by GPS and lasers.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Bridge wings aside on the Liberation, see she has plenty of outdoor space, got a good shifty at her open decks from Barfleur, she has a similar amount, probably more external area than the present cats, which is great, I was hoping with the size she is that she wouldn't have a limited external area like NEX.

Yeah, the NEX is like a cage - I think it was yourself who mentioned that.

Of the big car carrying cats, I always though the first gen Incat 74s had the best deck space (Hoverspeed Great Britain, Condor 10, Stena Sea Lynx et co) as it was quite close to the jets at the stern and had deck along the side. The arrow shaped craft (Condor Express/Vitesse/Rapid, Hoverspeed Diamant/Rapide, Stena Lynx II/III etc) weren't that great, the NEX is a bit worse as no view along the sides. The worst though was the P&O Portsmouth Express (now Express up at Troon-Larne) where it was just a tiny space inside the craft to the portside only and just behind the bridge. And of course I don't know if toward the end it was possible, but you initally weren't allowed out on the decks on Stena HSS anyway.

The best fat craft I thought for outside deck space was Jetliner that ran for P&O from Larne. Helps I quite liked the whole ship and coming at a time pre-HSS and when the Incats dominated, her layout seemed spacious and more varied than the cats.

The Jonathan Swift on Irish Ferries' Holyhead-Dublin route has quite good outdoor space wrapping around the sides, but you can't go right to the stern. That said, infinitely better than the outdoor deck space on Ulysees which has to go down as the worst deck space on a car ferry out.

Red Funnel's Red Jet 4 has got some quite good outside deck but only got to use it once when she was doing a beano for the Round the Island Race and got to watch it outside. We were meant to be sitting down in the main cabin when at speed and we were either stationary or just tootling along when we were allowed outside... until a yacht came too close and the commander had to put his foot down and we were still out there (I thought it was really cool, not everyone did!).

I personally like the new Condor branding - it's very bold and modern, and it certainly makes a change from the usual red, white & blue. I cannot wait to have a look around her. Interestingly, the name and ribbons have all been painted on by hand which should be more durable than transfers? It does look like she has a decent amount of outside deck space.

Yeah, the NEX is like a cage - I think it was yourself who mentioned that. Yes, I call it the chicken coop at the back, as seen her departing from Cherbourg while walking back along that road to the terminal - crowd of people all gathered outside in that little space. First thing that sprung to mind - chicken house!! Condor Incats have loads of outdoor space, the Austal has a lot more than them I think - well my pics here show hers.

Got a good view of the new Logo and streamers/ribbons on Sunday morning, not too impressed. What do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n245308[/ATTACH]

I think that they still look wrong, but better than what I first thought, my thoughts are if they are meant to be flowing ribbons, then they are flowing in the wrong direction - they should be flowing behind the direction of movement, in her case towards her stern. Draw an imaginary line down from the corner of the bridge in the first pic to about halfway downand have them flow right to the end of the stern. As said, they will have to grow on me, whose idea were they, hope not our dearly missed friend on here!!

Edited by Khaines

......and another thing - remember what Maggie Thatcher did to that BA logo on the tail of that model plane? Anyone got a large enough sheet..... The orange one matches the top of her bridge. I personally like just the company logo and name on ships, any ships, when they get 'designs' put on them, then it often looks bad. Worst in my opinion is AIDA with the faces on the bows, just looks comical. Liberation's ribbons aren't that awful by any stretch, but let's just say I prefer her all white!!!

Edited by Khaines

Yep. Maggie Thatcher's Government privatised BA (now owned by IAG with massive profits) and was a staunch believer in the free market, so perhaps she should have kept her hanky out of it........ Un-necessary government intervention!

Following my recent post I also believe that the Liberation logo is lost next to Condor, not too good for identification either.
Celebrity cruises have their ships names painted in exactly the same way, 'Celebrity Solstice' for example.

She would look nice with a neon name about her person - not sure where. Would have been good to have had her name in neon where it is now, be different!!

Wondering what her catering facilities are going to be like - seeing as she is so much bigger. She is having a new galley fitted I think, one would think she has enough space to play with that they can maybe offer more than on the cats?