Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sness

Winter passenger numbers

I was on Pont-Aven the other night for a day trip to St Malo. Out of curiosity, asked at information how many passengers there were and was told "I cannot tell you, but around 300." Any particular reason why I (theoretically) cannot be told? Thanks.

Both crossings were quiet and the return sailing was mostly made up of the French.

I was on Pont-Aven the other night for a day trip to St Malo. Out of curiosity, asked at information how many passengers there were and was told "I cannot tell you, but around 300." Any particular reason why I (theoretically) cannot be told? Thanks.

Both crossings were quiet and the return sailing was mostly made up of the French.

I normally ask at the reception desk.

The BF staff are always very helpful even to the extent of telling me in detail anything from how many lorries,cars, coaches, motor bikes..... to how many bicycles there are on board. As well as the passenger count.

Perhaps you just got one of those who couldn't be bothered.

Not usual for BF;

I'd probably be concerned if they didn't have the exact number.

Yeah, the woman behind the desk didn't look like she was doing much so probably just couldn't be bothered, as you say.

They have the inital number of passengers before the crossing, upadated at all times on the computer. However this number will always vary due to last minute passenger changes which can occur. If they had not added thing up she probably did not have the final count printed out. But if you already know the answer to your question ...

As JetStreamer says the passenger manifests are printed out and logged after departure and after the 'no-shows' have been communicated from the terminal staff - this is then verified with the 'rapport d'escale' and depending on the purser is sent to his/her office for further verification. There are a multitude of reasons as to why she may not have been able to give you the exact numbers there and then.

Then again, in the interests of security, she had no obligation to give you even that information. As a passenger that is not information you should be concerned with.

Then again, in the interests of security, she had no obligation to give you even that information. As a passenger that is not information you should be concerned with.

I've never had any problem receiving this information and why is it that we shouldn't be concerned with this information?

It interests those who want to know how BF is doing with their passenger,freight and vehicle numbers.

How would telling someone how many people there were pose a security threat? I'm with imprimerie saying that there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to know this out of curiosity. I'm sure it interests many people, not just 'enthusiasts' to know how many passengers there are?

Well, surely you can sort of see how many passengers there are? If there are lots then you have to queue in the self service...

If I get on a train or a bus I don't care how many passengers there are either as long as I can get a seat.

Other than that I have no interest in how many might be on board but I could understand if BF were not too keen to share passenger number and freight statistics with their competitors. They might want to tell you, they might not but I don't think they have any particular obligation to do so.

I have to agree with Skipcool3 et al. Highly unlikely a transport operator is going to give this info out as a matter of course to Joe Public. In my company such information as to how many passengers is carried is limited to staff only and even then we cannot see advanced bookings beyond a week or so ahead. This could be divulged to a competitor prior to the day I guess. I can see it being a bit OTT when ultimately such things as passenger numbers probably have to be released for public consumption on quarterly/yearly reports from the likes of the Port Authority and the Ship Company themselves But on the basis of a need to know - we do not need to know! I can imagine a more 'rounded' answer would have been "not very full, to nearly full" sort of avoids the answer but gives a fair idea!

I have never had any problems getting this information.In this particular case I think it was the person involved and not general BF policy.

Unless they have changed that after a very long time.

I have never asked, and would consider it an impertinence on my part if I were to so do. That's just a personal point of view, of course. When I was at work we never divulged anything more specific than how many millions of loaves of bread or Primark tee shirts we had sold unless there was a commercial gain in doing so. At BF check in leaving France I sometimes chattily say to the agent 'peu du monde?' or 'y'a du monde?' but I expect nothing more than 'pas mal', tres peu, or a shake of the wrist and hand and a phew! which means good news for the operator. But that is just friendly chat - I can see for myself once onboard.

Hey ho Christmas starts tomorrow for us on the Armorique. Happy Holidays, everyone.

I think this more a case of "lost in translation" more I am unable to tell you because I don't know exactly but approx. 300 ....

Yes, most probably is.

Slightly off topic but still relevant...

I've been having some interesting dialogue with BF about why day trips ( public rate, not the BFE offer ) are completely withdrawn from sale over the festive period. After all, I don't imagine every single sailing between Xmas and New Year is full to the gunnels.

They replied saying that they need to maximise revenue etc but surely if there's space on board it is better to have people using it, and spending money onboard, rather than completely shut down the revenue stream. How is a day trip fare revenue abstractive? People won't pay the £400 standard return fare just to go over for a day!

Just personally baffling and frustrating for me as I desperately wanted to head over to Caen on the 27th to see an exhibition at the Caen Memorial before it closes at the end of the year. Ah well...

Any thoughts? Or am I being over simplistic as usual ;)

Slightly off topic but still relevant...

I've been having some interesting dialogue with BF about why day trips ( public rate, not the BFE offer ) are completely withdrawn from sale over the festive period. After all, I don't imagine every single sailing between Xmas and New Year is full to the gunnels.

They replied saying that they need to maximise revenue etc but surely if there's space on board it is better to have people using it, and spending money onboard, rather than completely shut down the revenue stream. How is a day trip fare revenue abstractive? People won't pay the £400 standard return fare just to go over for a day!

Just personally baffling and frustrating for me as I desperately wanted to head over to Caen on the 27th to see an exhibition at the Caen Memorial before it closes at the end of the year. Ah well...

Any thoughts? Or am I being over simplistic as usual ;)

It is probably very difficult for BF to bring economy into a peak time of the year for them.

People have to get across the channel at Christmas for several reasons and BF obviously feel that they don't want to mix economy with normal fares at this time of the year.

They probably don't want to be in the position of having sold a cheapie 24 hour excursion and then find they have to turn away a late full fare passenger who wants to go over for a longer period. That may mean that the ship will still sail with some empty places but one full fare = several excursionists so they calculate that on balance they should reserve the space for the higher revenue earners. It wasn't so many years ago that 24hr excursions were confined to limited low season periods only.

C.F...... Have you looked at booking a package including a single night in a hotel? Often available even at the height of holiday time..... And usually at a great price, too.

We paid £156.80 for 2 plus car on Barfleur for 10 days over Christmas. At £78 each that's much less than a train ticket from Liverpool to Euston for one and leaving the car at home. BF is still good value.

Trains are getting so expensive, I have a disabled adult railcard and noticed the price of a trip to Dorchester with the discount is almost the same as it would have been full fare only a few years ago!!