Sign in to follow this  
chid679

dieppe or calais?

Hi I'm looking for some opinions and advice. I'm travelling to disneyland paris next June and am trying to decide between staying in a hotel in Dover (such as a premier Inn or travelodge) and getting an early morning ferry to calais or crossing overnight from Newhaven to Dieppe. With the dieppe crossing I will arrive in Paris earlier which is a benefit as we are short of time plus there's less road tolls than calais. However with such a short crossing I appreciate we won't get much sleep has anybody experienced the seven sisters/ cote d'albatre twins? Are the cabins any good? Bf not an option for this one, Caen too expensive and the daytime crossings to le havre arrive too late

It depends how you sleep on the overnight crossing, I'd say. I, myself don't sleep too well on ships but in this case I would go for Dieppe for the reasons you have mentioned already.

Haven't travelled LD/DFDS so can't really give any advice there, sorry!

Have you considered Eurostar to Marne la Vallee, the designated station for Disneyland?

There's a direct service 4 days / wk, which also calls at Ebbsfleet & Asford.

Worth considering.

Have you considered Eurostar to Marne la Vallee, the designated station for Disneyland?

There's a direct service 4 days / wk, which also calls at Ebbsfleet & Asford.

Worth considering.

Thanks for the suggestion but we are taking the car we are a family of four with an infant and a toddler. I guess I should have mentioned that before

Le Havre and Dieppe to Paris are about 195km- 200km.

Calais to Paris is around 285km.

Take an overnight Portsmouth to Le Havre (if they exist?) and save on the premier inn room and have a cabin on board being an alternative option

Caen is also closer to Paris than Calais.

Hi I'm looking for some opinions and advice. I'm travelling to disneyland paris next June and am trying to decide between staying in a hotel in Dover (such as a premier Inn or travelodge) and getting an early morning ferry to calais or crossing overnight from Newhaven to Dieppe. With the dieppe crossing I will arrive in Paris earlier which is a benefit as we are short of time plus there's less road tolls than calais. However with such a short crossing I appreciate we won't get much sleep has anybody experienced the seven sisters/ cote d'albatre twins? Are the cabins any good? Bf not an option for this one, Caen too expensive and the daytime crossings to le havre arrive too late

The cabins are quite large and as comfortable as any normal ferry cabin

The overnight crossing from Newhaven is AWFUL. The crossing time is barely 4 hours and you are woken up 30 mins before arrival. Don't be fooled by the +1 hour arrival time.... It is still only about 3am UK time, when every sane person should be sleeping.

You will be absolutely shattered if planning a day at Euro Disney. I say this as someone that has worked 4 hours on /off......

Just a suggestion, but why not Try And get a late evening ferry from Dover and stay in a budget hotel in France? You can turn up at say 11 pm, have 7 or so hours sleep and still get to the park as it opens?

Let us know what you decide?

Disneyland Paris is on the east side of Paris so we have always done the Dover-Calais crossing. You can drive to Disney in about three hours from Calais. We have stayed at the premier inn in Dover just by the docks, when we stayed we had a newly refurbished family room and as we booked well in advance it only cost us £29. Premier Inns are popular for a reason, I would always choose them over a Travelodge if at all possible. Check the reviews on Tripadvisor!

Disneyland Paris is on the east side of Paris so we have always done the Dover-Calais crossing. You can drive to Disney in about three hours from Calais. We have stayed at the premier inn in Dover just by the docks, when we stayed we had a newly refurbished family room and as we booked well in advance it only cost us £29. Premier Inns are popular for a reason, I would always choose them over a Travelodge if at all possible. Check the reviews on Tripadvisor!

Definitely premier inn over travelodge; from some quotes I've seen they're both around the same price. Oh and the breakfast in Premier inn is excellent.

Back on topic now..........!

I agree with the others, stay the night in a hotel either in Dover or in France. Having a decent night's sleep will make all the difference to your enjoyment of Disneyland. If you 'sleep' on the boat (which is unlikely) you will be shattered on arrival and so will the kids which will make things ten times worse!

Much as I am a fan of the overnight Newhaven - Dieppe route, it fitting my travelling needs perfectly for a while, in your situation I would tend to go for the Dover - Calais option and book in to the one of the incredibly cheap hotel/motel chains that exist in France. There are plenty of them around Calais most being situated more or less on the doorstep of the Eurotunnel terminus.

This B&B hotel chain is a good bet but there are a number of other similar brands, ETAP, premiere classe to name a couple. they offer automated checkin all night using cashpoint like screens and in English, don't waste your money paying for a UK premier inn!

Hi, we went to Disneyland last year, went Portsmouth - Le Havre DFDS on the then Norman Voyager just before she became Etretat, stayed on the boat overnight and drove up the next morning after a good nights sleep. Hope this is helpful. I have stayed on the Transmanche boats but as Skipcool mentioned, the arrival time is not great, and very short time to rest once onboard.