Sign in to follow this  
Andy

BAIE DE SEINE: Charter of 'Sirena Seaways' for Le Havre and Bilbao

Baie de Seine is scheduled to arrive into Portsmouth at 0730 tomorrow to conduct berthing trials. She'll be in and out a couple of times, so plenty of photo ops! Timings from BF:

0730: Arrive from Cherbourg

0715: Berthing trials on berth 3

1345: Depart to anchorage

1515: Berthing trials on berth 4

2045: Berthing trials on berth 2 and bunkering

0815: Depart for Bilbao (freight only).

An update to the above. She will now operate a freight only sailing this evening from Cherbourg (in light of the continued strike action in Caen), and now has an eta of 0830 tomorrow.

Hope Michael W sees this - he might well fancy trying to get aboard that?

I think his problem is his abnormal load preventing him from going to another port. I understand you can't just drive an abnormal load as you would a normal size truck.

Late. Still - much nicer than "Etretat" - and less likely to melt.

17210381177_a54c6529e5_t.jpg

M/V Baie de Seine

Captain Southsea

Late. Still - much nicer than "Etretat" - and less likely to melt.

Given the fate of the Lisco Gloria that's something of a moot point.

BF have done a really good job there she looks good.

On a side note it would appear that BF are no longer applying stripes to new vessels - again continuing the 'minimilistic approach.'

And I don't think this applies to economie vessels, as the mock ups of the new pegasis vessel had no striping either....

BF have done a really good job there she looks good.

On a side note it would appear that BF are no longer applying stripes to new vessels - again continuing the 'minimilistic approach.'

And I don't think this applies to economie vessels, as the mock ups of the new pegasis vessel had no striping either....

Baie de Seine just arrived back into Portsmouth from Bilbao, ahead of her maiden sailing to Le Havre tonight.

She definitely seems to be a level up from Etretat in terms of onboard standards. No doubt she will be choc a bloc for tonight's crossing with all of the issues in Caen!

She definitely seems to be a level up from Etretat in terms of onboard standards.

She certainly is. I would say better than some of the non economie fleet like Armorique and Normandie.

She certainly is. I would say better than some of the non economie fleet like Armorique and Normandie.

Compared to what and in which areas?

Armorique is a doubledeck bow and stern loader capable of carrying twice as many passengers in a good deal of comfort with stylish cabins. Normandie is a different ship class, a cruise ferry.

BDS is a single level stern loader built specifically as a freight mover. Her passenger accommodation was an afterthought and feels quite dated compared, in some areas more so than Bretagne.

Richard is right. She is definitely a step up from any Visentini but I know which two I'd rather cross the BoB on...

Compared to what and in which areas?

Armorique is a doubledeck bow and stern loader capable of carrying twice as many passengers in a good deal of comfort with stylish cabins. Normandie is a different ship class, a cruise ferry.

BDS is a single level stern loader built specifically as a freight mover. Her passenger accommodation was an afterthought and feels quite dated compared, in some areas more so than Bretagne.

Richard is right. She is definitely a step up from any Visentini but I know which two I'd rather cross the BoB on...

I was thinking about the ships in terms of size and public spaces. BDS is 22k grt, but then PA is roughly twice that. However PA have over THREE times the cabins than BDS. SO in thoery she BDS should feel quite spacious?

I was thinking about the ships in terms of size and public spaces. BDS is 22k grt, but then PA is roughly twice that. However PA have over THREE times the cabins than BDS. SO in thoery she BDS should feel quite spacious?

BDS was built to take lots more freight than passengers, so originally she looked like her sister Lisco Gloria. But when Lisco Gloria (then Dana Gloria) was on the Harwich to Esbjerg route before BDS was delivered, DFDS realised that the route needed extra passenger capacity, so she was rebuilt with many more cabins, but without having to remove freight space. So they used up as little space as possible to add the extra passenger space. Because of this BDS does have lots of space in the original section, but in the extra cabin section there is less space, so many of the normal cabins where you won't get much space anyway are in the rebuilt area. Also most of the public areas are in the original section if I remember rightly so they wouldn't of had to increase restaurant space etc...

BDS was built to take lots more freight than passengers, so originally she looked like her sister Lisco Gloria. But when Lisco Gloria (then Dana Gloria) was on the Harwich to Esbjerg route before BDS was delivered, DFDS realised that the route needed extra passenger capacity, so she was rebuilt with many more cabins, but without having to remove freight space. So they used up as little space as possible to add the extra passenger space. Because of this BDS does have lots of space in the original section, but in the extra cabin section there is less space, so many of the normal cabins where you won't get much space anyway are in the rebuilt area. Also most of the public areas are in the original section if I remember rightly so they wouldn't of had to increase restaurant space etc...

Interesting... Thanks for that.

Grt is not a good measure for this, grt is the internal volume. With BDS a lot of this space is the garages, on the PA the extra 18,000 grt is in the public areas and cabins.

I see the two as say a modern Truckline, BF Ro Ro if you like, a service more intune with freight demand rather than the other ships which have more of a passenger focus... For this service BDS is top of the range.