BAIE DE SEINE: Charter of 'Sirena Seaways' for Le Havre and Bilbao

Andy

Grt is not a good measure for this, grt is the internal volume. With BDS a lot of this space is the garages, on the PA the extra 18,000 grt is in the public areas and cabins.

I see your point, but with PA she still has garage space (over two decks) for a similar ammount of vehicles as BDS? I heard that PA can actually take near 800 standard cars but is limited. If you think of the lower garage on PA for Freight, plus all the space on the main car decks and then all the cabins, do you not see my point? The garages on BDS would have to be proportionally huge, or perhaps extremely high - like the Armorique deck 3, where essentially there is no deck 4?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hf, I see your point, however, PA can only carry 20 HGV's. Yes she has the greater length in lane metres, 3500 but most of this has height restrictions, the Pont is built to carry car driving holidaymakers... She is also superstructure from stern to fo'c'sle, hence her weight...

BDS is essentially a floating NCP. She does not feel spacious, passengers have very little in the way of public internal space and promenade deck. Her grt is low because it doesn't exist, she's a vast empty cavern when unloaded. Her superstructure is hollow upto deck 7 to accommodate HGV's.

All things going OK, I will be travelling on her on Thursday night. I hope she will be up to her reputation (from the past voyage reports as Dana Sirena.) She seems to be a much better than Etretat. It's a shame that her sister has been destroyed by a fire otherwise she would have been a good replacement for Etretat.

We travelled on her a handful of times to Esbjerg, with her public spaces and cabins centred around her midships superstructure, she was comfortable in rougher weather. For what she offers to her target market, I think BDS will be successful.

It makes me wonder why BF effectively swapped Cotentin, with her limited cabin space and large freight capacity, she would have been ideal for this service.

We travelled on her a handful of times to Esbjerg, with her public spaces and cabins centred around her midships superstructure, she was comfortable in rougher weather. For what she offers to her target market, I think BDS will be successful.

It makes me wonder why BF effectively swapped Cotentin, with her limited cabin space and large freight capacity, she would have been ideal for this service.

Cotentin has shared bathroom facilities between cabins for freight drivers so would have not been practical for passengers. Also far fewer capacity.

Hf, that's interesting. I know many drivers share cabins, BF freight will put four separate drivers in the one cabin, maybe sharing bathrooms is the norm' for them too?

Bds has 6 berth driver cabins not sure if they have shared facilities but I would presume so.

Bds has 6 berth driver cabins not sure if they have shared facilities but I would presume so.

No I beleive the 6 berth has its own en-suite. It is for all 6 yes, but not shared between two cabins as with crew quarters and drivers cabins on Cotentin.

BdS. Safely in Spain. Stayed well West of Illes d'Ouissent. I wonder how long before she will get her ticket to run inside?

I think it's the masters that get the ticket, not the ship (?). For that to happen they need to make a few passages that way with the pilot on board and then get certified - so it's going to be tricky if they're not going to venture that way in the first place. What I don't know is whether the certification of a master is valid only for the ship it was achieved on or whether it is valid for all ships. The usual training ground for Ushant pilotage appears to be on Cap Finistere on her Monday morning passage through the area (when she has plenty of time), so if the certificate is valid for any ship then presumably the BDS masters would need to make some passages on Cap Finistere to get their ticket? On the other hand, BDS is being given plenty of time for her Bilbao passages (I think the south-bound passage is scheduled for something approaching 30 hours on the timetable, far more than Etretat) so maybe they're just not going to bother and just send her outside?

I think it's the masters that get the ticket, not the ship (?). For that to happen they need to make a few passages that way with the pilot on board and then get certified - so it's going to be tricky if they're not going to venture that way in the first place. What I don't know is whether the certification of a master is valid only for the ship it was achieved on or whether it is valid for all ships. The usual training ground for Ushant pilotage appears to be on Cap Finistere on her Monday morning passage through the area (when she has plenty of time), so if the certificate is valid for any ship then presumably the BDS masters would need to make some passages on Cap Finistere to get their ticket? On the other hand, BDS is being given plenty of time for her Bilbao passages (I think the south-bound passage is scheduled for something approaching 30 hours on the timetable, far more than Etretat) so maybe they're just not going to bother and just send her outside?

As per conversation with Bf officer Ithink you are fully right on above argument

Yesterday we had 1 master (Covic) and 1 trainee (Fleurys) on BDS

• 2 months later...

I was looking at booking a trip too Spain, on the Baie de Saine, next year and have found that she is doing both trips in place to Santander, and Bilbao, and only having one trip to Le Havre per week from the end of October 2015.

I was looking at booking a trip too Spain, on the Baie de Saine, next year and have found that she is doing both trips in place to Santander, and Bilbao, and only having one trip to Le Havre per week from the end of October 2015.

Yes, this was picked up when the new timetables came out in July.

• 3 months later...

Travelled on her some time ago when she was the Dana Sirena. When arriving at Esbjerg we experienced what I can only describe as brake failure which resulted in a chunk of the harbour wall missing and a hole in the bow. Was an exciting and enjoyable trip.

Archived