BAIE DE SEINE: Charter of 'Sirena Seaways' for Le Havre and Bilbao

Andy

At least BF give their ships decent names, unlike most companies who call their ships things like Seaways Seaways, Superfast XXIV or Wight Ryder etc. All credit to them.

Yes, you would't want a ship serving Odessa to be called the Black Ryder would you.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometime ago I wondered why the superstructure of the ferries was not of aluminium or similar alloy to ensure that it was as light as possible. It was pointed out that dissimilar metals in contact result in corrosion. I see that the hull of Baie de Seine is made from steel and the superstructure aluminium alloy ???? That is if one believes Wiki.....

Many passenger ships do still have alloy upper decks but you are correct that direct contact with the steel beneath can cause corrosion so a sort of separation gasket is required. I think that towards the end of here service life this was causing problems with QE2. It's a trade off between the cost of construction and the possibility of adding another deck which might not be required on a ferry but could be full of revenue earning cabins on a cruise ship.

Have to say I was of the understanding that this was fairly standard (steel hull and aluminium superstructure or similar). Remembering back to early 1983 when European Gateway was righted, having been savaged by a month of gales....superstructure pretty much all washed away, hull completely intact. I'm pretty sure i read at the time that this was due to the superstructure being made of aluminium.

Back to the name....I'm quite surprised they haven't called her Honfleur actually. Nothing wrong with Baie de Seine, just that Honfleur, like Etretat, was previously slated as names BF were going to use to Le Havre. And Honfleur is one of the jewels of the area. So...I wonder if they haven't used it because they are keeping it in reserve for something else down the line?

Sometime ago I wondered why the superstructure of the ferries was not of aluminium or similar alloy to ensure that it was as light as possible. It was pointed out that dissimilar metals in contact result in corrosion. I see that the hull of Baie de Seine is made from steel and the superstructure aluminium alloy ???? That is if one believes Wiki.....

Galvanic corrosion occurs when two different metals are connected and exposed to a corrosive electrolyte (e.g. sea water). The least noble metal will corrode preferentially thus "protecting" the more noble metal. This is the principle behind the zinc anodes fitted to ship hulls. Aluminium, magnesium and zinc are amongst the least noble metals. In the case of the aluminium superstructures, the galvanic corrosion is limited by the fact that the aluminium is fully coated and not continuously immersed.

Cost is one of the reason for not opting for an aluminium superstructure. Amongst the ferries built an aluminium superstructure you will find the HSCs built in St-Malo for SNCM and NEL lines.

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/ngv_asco_1996.htm

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/aeolos_express_2000.htm

Could it be BF know something the rest of us don't?

Very interested to hear BAIE DE SEINE is going to relieve on Poole-Cherbourg. If my memory serves me correctly she is virtually 200m long, thus she would become Poole's longest ever ship, indeed Poole's longest possible ship!

BRETAGNE relieved on Poole-Cherbourg for approx. a fortnight a few years ago. Not an ideal ship! Took too long to discharge at Cherbourg especially for the motorised daytrippers. We were stuck on Deck 5, I think it was, for three quarters of an hour, not good when you wanted to be off to the shops etc!

Poole-Cherbourg, Plymouth-Roscoff, Portsmouth-St Malo and Portsmouth-Le Havre are all routes where continuity has been, to varying extents, erratic over the last couple of years during the winter refit period. So I don't think that Poole is alone. That said, I do agree with a point previously made that it is surprising Barfleur did not go off as soon as Bretagne came back. As it is, Bretagne will have been laid up for 5-6 weeks before Barfleur goes off, by which time we will only be a week or so before she is due to re-enter service to St Malo.

As Bretagne is not ideal for Cherbourg, for reasons you gave, seems to me the smart thing to have done (if the aim is to reduce disruption to continuity of service) would have been to put Bretagne onto Armorique's current Portsmouth - St Malo - Plymouth - Roscoff circuit and to have moved Armorique to Poole. However, it was not to be, which means, as you implied, continuity was not considered necessary.

Changing the subject slightly, although it might possibly answer my own point, does anyone know where Barfleur is going? If it is to Santander then clearly she could not have gone yet because she will have had to wait until CF had finished. Big trip for the old girl though, wouldn't it be? A trek across Biscay.

Changing the subject slightly, although it might possibly answer my own point, does anyone know where Barfleur is going? If it is to Santander then clearly she could not have gone yet because she will have had to wait until CF had finished. Big trip for the old girl though, wouldn't it be? A trek across Biscay.

She has already conquered the Bay, winter 97/98 Poole-Santander!

I now see it doesn't appear BAIE DE SEINE is going to relieve on Poole-Cherbourg ! Not a surprise really. I'm surprised NEx is going to do so. In recent years BFdon't seem to be too much interested in maintaining the continuity of service on Poole-Cherbourg.
Going to book up NEX from Poole as a treat for myself as I like her....
Actually, having said that, I don't think the website likes the name Baie de Seine !!!

I think there's been a last minute change of plan on the ship name. It's likely that the design agency who does their website was briefed in advance to build the new sections on existing pages as well as new pages for the extra ship. When creating internal links, it's common web practice to put a title tag behind the link, essentially enables you to write more text than you can than when restricted by column width so that search engines can read it (a bit like alt tags on images). Although it's becoming less common to place a title tag on a link; won't get techie about it, but it's not good for a site if the title and link name don't correspond in some way. So assuming that it would appear that someone went through and changed all the links but missed those. Someone in BF marketing will be calling someone in Bristol tomorrow to sort it!!

Yes, the artist impression makes it look as if she is having some accommodation added to the rear of the existing accommodation. In the picture the accommodation looks to go almost as far back as the funnel, which on the Sirena Seaways it never did. Is anyone aware that addition of extra accommodation is actually part of the work taking place on the ship at Gdansk? Or is it just artistic license to make it look more like a passenger ship than it is in reality?

Yes, the artist impression makes it look as if she is having some accommodation added to the rear of the existing accommodation. In the picture the accommodation looks to go almost as far back as the funnel, which on the Sirena Seaways it never did. Is anyone aware that addition of extra accommodation is actually part of the work taking place on the ship at Gdansk? Or is it just artistic license to make it look more like a passenger ship than it is in reality?

Just the angle of the picture i think, makes it look like that.

Archived