HIGH SPEED FERRIES: Weymouth?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pointless trying anything in the autumn..... Poor weather, low passenger numbers..... Financial suicide.

Better to run a service from Easter to the October half term I would suggest. Still think if their was money in it, Condor would do it!

Still think if their was money in it, Condor would do it!
BF ought to run NEX from there, direct to St Malo, but been said she is too wide for the linkspan. That would be serious competition for Condor if BF set up in Weymouth. Before anyone poo-poos, we have had some 'surprises' from BF Towers in the past...
BF ought to run NEX from there, direct to St Malo, but been said she is too wide for the linkspan. That would be serious competition for Condor if BF set up in Weymouth. Before anyone poo-poos, we have had some 'surprises' from BF Towers in the past...

I can't see BF running services from Poole and from Weymouth.The ports are too close to each other and running another service from Weymouth, would only share out passenger numbers and not increase them.

But as you say who knows!

BF have proved us all wrong in the past and probably will continue to do so.

We do never know, I don't think it would be a great idea to put her in Poole to run alongside Barfleur to Cherbourg, she is suitable to help out as she is soon, but to be a permanent fixture, no. She would be better off providing a faster service to somewhere like St Malo from Weymouth, direct to St Malo, not touching the CIs. Make a longer crossing to St Malo shorter rather than put her in Poole and make a short crossing shorter. Be good fo those who want to go to St Malo without having to traipse to Pompey for a longer conventional crossing.

Whilst I wish any new ferry company well, I can see a couple of potential issues here. Firstly, they are going into direct competition with BF who know a lot more about the market they serve than these people do. If there was the market for a fast ferry anywhere on the western channel in addition to condor/NEx, I am sure NEx would have much busier schedule!

Secondly according to their maths it costs £475 to drive from Bristol-Dover, and then Calais to Rennes. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't, unless you put a price on people's driving time.

They are certainly to be lauded for the comprehensive business summary as has appeared on FoNE and the lengths they have gone to. However, what concerns me is whilst there has been mention of Burgess Marine being used for maintenance services, there is no mention of the operating costs regards fuel and crew, or indeed how these will be procured. Fuel and crew are the two biggest costs and risks for any Shipping company, regardless of trade, and from an investors point of view, I would like to have seen more information provided about what will be done about these two critical factors. That said I wish them well, and the start of any service will be a serious achievement.

Never going to happen, Mr Packer did all this for the service that was going to run from Portland. My boss knows him and he says he's just a dreamer.

And the council, despite what they say, don't want another ferry service, they just what to sell the land and there be very expensive flats built.

If this does come off it will be interesting to see what happens to the present terminal as Condors call center (which is staying in Weymouth ) is upstairs and the new service downstairs.

I agree with captjack , we have been here before with Portland.

Just hope Weymouth treat this with caution financially - sound like they should be very wary. i commented early on in the Dorset Echo story, and got thumbed down for suggesting anything like Euroferries. Funny that. Not that this is Euroferries, but seems to be similar....

Never going to happen, Mr Packer did all this for the service that was going to run from Portland. My boss knows him and he says he's just a dreamer.

And the council, despite what they say, don't want another ferry service, they just what to sell the land and there be very expensive flats built.

Funny enough, in the Echo today...

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/11814032.UPDATED__Weymouth_Town_Centre_Masterplan_to_create_2_700_jobs_and_1_000_new_homes/

Whilst I wish any new ferry company well, I can see a couple of potential issues here. Firstly, they are going into direct competition with BF who know a lot more about the market they serve than these people do. If there was the market for a fast ferry anywhere on the western channel in addition to condor/NEx, I am sure NEx would have much busier schedule!

Secondly according to their maths it costs £475 to drive from Bristol-Dover, and then Calais to Rennes. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't, unless you put a price on people's driving time.

Bristol to dover is just under 200 miles, calais to Rennes is just under 375 miles, so say 575 miles each way. My juice guzzler would cost about £220 in petrol at the price I filled up at today 106.9p per litre for the round trip. Tolls according to Michelin are €50.50 each way, so £36.96 each way at today's exchange rate (0.73p=€1)

So my fuel guzzler could do it for just short of £300 plus ferry for Bristol-dover-Rennes.

057 is not too wide for the Weymouth link span. From memory her beam is a tad over 26m and the current 86 m craft are 26m so she would fit.

If there was any money to made CF would be operating a service rest assured.

To my knowledge there are only two larger Incat craft available being 051 and 061, the latter being in Hobart and requiring a complete very expensive make over to put it back to a pax ferry. 051 is with Olsens and requires major work if it were to leave the Spanish Flag. Hope HSF have deep pockets for maintenance, very high cost for older fast craft.

057 is not too wide for the Weymouth link span. From memory her beam is a tad over 26m and the current 86 m craft are 26m so she would fit.

If there was any money to made CF would be operating a service rest assured.

To my knowledge there are only two larger Incat craft available being 051 and 061, the latter being in Hobart and requiring a complete very expensive make over to put it back to a pax ferry. 051 is with Olsens and requires major work if it were to leave the Spanish Flag. Hope HSF have deep pockets for maintenance, very high cost for older fast craft.

Condor Liberation is only 0.8m wider than the Express/Vitesse and is only 2m longer than Sealinks Earl Godwin and shorter than the Earl Harold, Maid Of Kent, Lowland Lancer to name but a few. Clearly this vessel should fit Weymouth aswell. There has been a suggestion that the draft might be too deep, however at 4.6m she is shallower than the Prins Phillippe let alone several metres shorter. The issue seems to be that the ramp doesn't line up with the linkspan, though I'm sure that if there had been a will then they would have found a way.

As for the new company, I think it's very unlikely that this service will ever begin. However what this story does do is clearly highlight the fact if you want to operate a high speed operation to either the Channel Islands or Cherbourg or St Malo, Weymouth is the best and most sensible place to operate from. I would imagine that a service to Cherbourg that only took an hour and three quarters would definitely be popular with some

What happened to Mr Munk and Larkspur/Gardenia in the end - seeing that the name Euroferries has cropped up, just wondered, apologies for being a bit off topic. Where is Ernst now....

Read somewhere, think on dover ferries forum, that he's a gold dealer now !!