HIGH SPEED FERRIES: Weymouth?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reckon you are right - enough on here were saddened when the Condor service ended as they preferred a fast craft to France. Much as us Barfleur lovers were miffed when she got pulled, there are those who miss the high speed service as well, so they would be very happy if one was to materialise in whatever form. I would say with regards to a Channel Island service, better the devil you know. Despite the dislike of the Liberation in some quarters, at least the company is a well known one, and she seems to have settled down! (We have autumn and winter to see yet with her...). I have no personal idea about this company other than that someone once menttioned a connection to Euroferries somewhere along the line, so that should ring alarm bells in my opinion.

I would stop adding to this thread and not give them any more attention. If something is about to start and someone sees a vessel or some signs going up etc then maybe, but otherwise lets drop it.

Thing is, Adi - it is worth keeping an eye on developments, if any, my guess is it will be another Euroferries debaclle. I mentioned in the Echo that I was fearful that this is what it could be, and for Weymouth to be extra cautious regarding any monies handed over. Up to them of course - but I am interested in following this saga. It would be interesting to see if there IS a service at the end of the line.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Be great if BF were to operaate from Weymouth - reckon more likely though that if a rival operator set one up in Weymouth, NEX would soon find herself sharing berths with the Liberation! But there is the opportunity for BF to operated from Weymouth, and I think a lot of people would be quite happy.

Be great if BF were to operaate from Weymouth - reckon more likely though that if a rival operator set one up in Weymouth, NEX would soon find herself sharing berths with the Liberation! But there is the opportunity for BF to operated from Weymouth, and I think a lot of people would be quite happy.

The routes out of Pompey are probably more profitable than out of Poole, I personally don't see the NEX operating out of Poole/Weymouth long term.

I cannot see BF putting her long term in Poole either, although a direct service to St Malo via fast ferry may prove popular from Weymouth? What is happening to P&O's Express - is she up for grabs, if so could she be chartered?

• 1 month later...

Wonder if Condor will try to offload Liberation onto them? (She might be somewhat more successful operating into the wider expanse of Cherbourg, although would she be too big for Weymouth?). Otherwise...where are they supposing they will get their fast craft from? They're not exactly being built in droves any more.

I would rather they KEPT the Liberation here!! If Condor couldn't operate her from Weymouth due to her larger size, then this lot will have the same problem unless THEY put up the money to sort the berth out because sure as hell Weymouth Council won't pay!!!

Is this another false start? Would be nice if say P&O or Stena were the interested party, may have some credit to it and look likely to be a starter. I did not say BF as I think we need more competition on the western channel to make things more healthy.

They would be in direct competition with BF whoever they are if they go to Cherbourg from Weymouth. To be honest it is a bit of a farce, but if this goes ahead fine, but if it doesn't, then Weymouth cannot say they have not been warned in my opinion. Plenty of people are urging caution, so if Weymouth throws any money at this and loses it, well - no sympathy. Let them carry on, I have said my piece on it many times, but just get derision and trolling. The same old, same old going on and on like a broken record about it all - no point in trying to explain to that lot. Weymouth ought to redevelop the harbour and move on - it isn't the be all and end all losing ferry business, they need to start redesigning the future of the town in other ways.

Edited by Khaines
  • 1 month later...

That's roughly what I thought - people keep saying they haven't even got a website, well they have now, sort of, but all it consists of is basically Coming Soon. BF must be worried - not - not yet anyway!!

Edited by Khaines
  • 1 month later...

In the context of port improvements Poole is to spend £7 millions enlarging their Ro-Ro 2 so as to be able to berth vessels as large as SAGA SAPPHIRE next August. The work is due to start in January and be completed by Aug. The new berth is to be named the South Quay. No work is currently planned on the linkspan. However I doubt if BF and Condor will be leaving Poole anytime soon with a 200m berth in prospect. Incidentally has anyone thought about marine insurance in relation to whether a ferry can use a port, that is to say would a marine insurer take into account the degree of risk in accessing a port before deciding to insure a vessel?

In the context of port improvements Poole is to spend £7 millions enlarging their Ro-Ro 2 so as to be able to berth vessels as large as SAGA SAPPHIRE next August. The work is due to start in January and be completed by Aug. The new berth is to be named the South Quay. No work is currently planned on the linkspan. However I doubt if BF and Condor will be leaving Poole anytime soon with a 200m berth in prospect. Incidentally has anyone thought about marine insurance in relation to whether a ferry can use a port, that is to say would a marine insurer take into account the degree of risk in accessing a port before deciding to insure a vessel?

HT, this may give some indication to the thinking in relation to insurance.

http://www.riskandinsurance.com/supersized-risks/