Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Barfleur's turn for scrubbers

Well, it is her turn now - just watched her from clifftops in Bournemouth off on her final return crossing before her departure for Portsmouth - Santander. Was quite chilly up on those cliffs, was up near the pier, could hear her horn just as she was leaving the berth (my ipad clock said 08.32, so guess it was her departure blast) so that was great to hear. I hear she is busy - due to Normandie things going on.

Yes The Barf has been busy, I've done a couple of return trips in the last 10 days, each occasion on the way out the card deck was full and queues for breakfast in the restaurant and on the return trips late departures due to loading lorries with car decks 5 and 6 both full. If they'd had a proper restaurant on board they would have made a good few quid I suspect. It's going to be a bit of a pain having to drive to Portsmouth for the next couple of months.. :( Well apart from the trip from Weymouth before Condor pull out.

Edited by d2frs

Think they would have the other little cafe open, but that only operates during the main season. Could they tell from bookings prior to sailings that she will be busy and therefore have the other cafe open?

I did a day trip last Monday and there were about 50 cars on the outward crossing. Coming back was busier and at the Police Check after leaving the ship I was told there were 76 cars and 60 lorries on the Cherbourg-Poole leg.

Apparently her tomorrow trip to Cherbourg is cancelled according to Wave 105, presume this was published before they had the date for scrubbers as the Portsmouth-Santander trip taken over?

Yes, Khaines, they do get passenger figures before the sailing, however, to open the café would require extra crew. The cost of the extra crew for a couple of busy sailings during the week wouldn't be cost effective.

Saw her coming in this morning and will post pictures later. Saw her leaving following the pont from a periscope whilst visiting the sub museum. Anyone else get any pics?

Edited by Simon F

If Barfleur could have kept pace with Pont Aven then she could have gone through the Ushant Channel without a pilot !!!!! :D I see that she is being left behind with a difference in speed, currently, of 6nds so pilot needed.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if she gives the Ushant Channel a wide berth. Armorique passed well outside Ushant yesterday on her was down to Santander.

If Barfleur could have kept pace with Pont Aven then she could have gone through the Ushant Channel without a pilot !!!!! :D I see that she is being left behind with a difference in speed, currently, of 6nds so pilot needed.

Be good to see them both pootling along side by side like a pair of old ladies...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if she gives the Ushant Channel a wide berth. Armorique passed well outside Ushant yesterday on her was down to Santander.

Just confirming for the record that this is exactly what she did. Passed well outside Ushant. As did Armorique on her northbound passage overnight too.

Looked quite early this mornng and she was shrouded in thick mist!! Still looked like stern facing us, she must have turned around after 7.30?

I think there will be preparatory work to be done first on the layby berth outside the drydock. She'll be ready to go into the drydock pretty much as CF comes out of it - they won't have planned on her just hanging around a bit waiting - otherwise she might just as well have squeezed in another week's worth of Cherbourg sailings.

Edited by Gareth

A quick thought....on Thursday there will be no less than 3 BF ships in the port of Santander at the same time. I wonder how often that has happened before? After Thursday it will then happen again on Sunday and then the following Wednesday (18th) but after that I suspect CF will have departed to Bilbao before the next scheduled visit of Pont Aven on Monday 23rd.