Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Barfleur's turn for scrubbers

You can't really tell any difference at a quick glance, her engines sound the same to me as well. Regarding the scrubbers, I did notice yesterday while she was still berthed in Poole that there was some black smoke coming out of the funnels. This is while she was static, was on the port bus waiting in the morning, and noticed a small amount of black smoke. Can she turn off the scrubbers to test engines or something while in port?

Think we were waiting due to a Condor car in the wrong lanes - not sure if anyone actually drove onto Barf, overheard it on someone's walkie talkie. Be interested to know if anyone actually did drive on - can this happen then, or would they have just caused a problem in the traffic queues. Morning entertainment.

All open loop filter systems can be switched off, this gives the company the opportunity to run the engines on HFO in non SECA sea areas such as the Bay of Biscay or the Irish Sea. Also since temperatures on the seawater systems burn fuel at a cooler temperature, they are prone to clogging in a similar fashion to low sulphur diesel in cars, hence their particulate filters. IMO know this, hence shipping companies are given a brief period to run engines at high temps to burn off residue.

The other system is closed loop which is permanently engaged and incorporates caustic soda, urea crystals and added freshwater tanks. Although there are many carriers permanently operating in the new emission zone, they too are still opting for the cheaper open loop seawater system as high sea alkalinity neutralises diluted sulphuric acid.

I had my first trip on Barfleur yesterday following her work. They really have made a very neat job of the extended funnels, hard to tell they were ever any different. The engine note seems to have changed too. Nothing seems to have been changed on board but then she really didn't need anything doing. The car decks have been repainted and clearly other areas of paintwork have been spruced up as well. Despite the Force 8 conditions yesterday we arrived at both ports slightly early with hardly any movement whilst at sea, and good loadings too. Interesting to note her empty nameboards have been plated over so maybe BF intend to do something here. Nice to see her back!

Edited by Kevin

Nice hearing her horn this morning - on my way round to the port thid morning, she was just leaving. Nice and loud!!

I had my first trip on Barfleur yesterday following her work. They really have made a very neat job of the extended funnels, hard to tell they were ever any different. The engine note seems to have changed too. Nothing seems to have been changed on board but then she really didn't need anything doing. The car decks have been repainted and clearly other areas of paintwork have been spruced up as well. Despite the Force 8 conditions yesterday we arrived at both ports slightly early with hardly any movement whilst at sea, and good loadings too. Interesting to note her empty nameboards have been plated over so maybe BF intend to do something here. Nice to see her back!

Well she may not look or sound much different but judging by her departure in SW F6-7 this morning (Tuesday 02 June), which took an hour and required the tug, I would guess her windage aft has increased and she needs tug assistance off the Poole berth in less wind than previously.

Armorique really struggled geting on and off the berth yesterday and had a tug and pilot for both. Tug was actually pushing her in too! Was one of the most drawn out berthings I have seen. I think just very extreme gusty winds, Armorique usually has more than enough thruster power to get her ass in, in any weather. Would not have expected that.... maybe with Bretagne.

Well she may not look or sound much different but judging by her departure in SW F6-7 this morning (Tuesday 02 June), which took an hour and required the tug, I would guess her windage aft has increased and she needs tug assistance off the Poole berth in less wind than previously.

Her departure was put back to 1000 as the wind was expected to decrease at this time, even so the strong SW conditions certainly warranted a tug to pull her off the berth.

It is amazing how much of a tiny amount has changed, so much that it was un-noticable. Going back to when we first started discussing how they would manage it with her and how much she would need doing, the result from an aesthetics angle is diddly squat. Be interesting to see how they do with Mont, if they can make that little difference to Barfleur, one would assume the the Mont will look equally unchanged.

Whilst it is less noticeable from outboard of the Barfleur, that photo shows quite a difference of the view on the ship. From that angle it's a fair chunk of extra metal they have added and the funnel no longer "curves" around to match the protuding parts inboard. But I think anyone seeing it who did not know any better would not notice the difference.

I think Mont will end up looking quite different; her funnels are significantly smaller than Barfleur's to start with, they're quite thin and tapered. One gets the impression from looking at them, especially the port side funnel where the white grills at the top have had to be curved to fit the exhaust towards the rear, that there's probably not a lot of room left in there. I reckon she'll have two totally new boxes.

I have some 'before" photos lying around but no idea where - possibly on an old corrupt camera card that went in the bin ages ago or on printed photos... Maybe some others can put upsome before and after pics together?

I think they might have had more space inside the funnel casings to play with than with Mont - this is why she probably looks less different. Trying to think of Mont with funnels a bit like hers.

Edited by Khaines

I have seen her looking worse than that, will have a hunt round - need to find it. She looked bloomin dreadful - and I remember comments on here that she looked straight ready for the beaches in the state she was in, she looked right sorry for herself.

I have seen her looking worse than that, will have a hunt round - need to find it. She looked bloomin dreadful - and I remember comments on here that she looked straight ready for the beaches in the state she was in, she looked right sorry for herself.

I'm just glad that cowcatcher was remooved :D

And I would like to know what happened to her neon - surely that was put into storage, that is the holy grail - where that is. And she would like it back!! Can't accuse anyone of half inching it, despite that being hinted at the time somewhere on Facebook!!

I think from some angles, the enlargement and change of shape of her funnels make her look a little like the old FINNJET!

Here for example - http://meretmarine.com/sites/default...4_barfleur.jpg

http://lego.brickinstructions.com/01000/1575/001.jpg

(I want that)

I see what you mean - Finnjet was a superb ship, had the good fortune to sail on her in the 1980's - fantastic experience, scrapped way ahead of time in my opinion.