Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Barfleur's turn for scrubbers

I don't think the new funnel on cap finistere looks bad by any means, but wouldn't it look so much better with some stripes and the wings in place?

Gareth, the other two, there has been pictures and info kindly provided on progress. Wondered how she is looking at the moment that is all Jamie and I mean.

Oh I see, that sort of news. Fair enough. I'd have thought though it's probably a bit early for pictures yet, she's only recently gone in.

Edited by Gareth

Been rather quiet of late, hasn't it. At least when she makes her grand appearance and arrives back for duty, her new looks will hopefully take the heat off the interest in the Liberation's performance.... Poole hasn't been quiet without her - oh no, Poole has something to diiscuss we've been busy discussing her, doesn't stay quiet around this little backwater...😄😄😄

Meant to send some of these ages ago - I took this at very high speed on 23rd March - so I would imagine a lot of changes now. There were many burst shots and the weather was awful but this is about the best you can see. I was surprised that they had already started to remove the old funnels after she only just arrived a few days earlier.

Edited by hf_uk

I had to google pictures of Barfleur, at first I couldn't tell the difference. It seems like her conversion will be very sympathetic from a profile point of view and actually dare I say I think it actually looks like an improvement.

I actually quite like Normandie's. It makes her look a little different but it's replicating angles from elsewhere on her structure as she already does have some "slab angles" - although nothing quite a severe as the Germanic severity of some ships like Val de Loire etc. Yes, her funnel is now very big but it suits her own chunky style.

On the otherhand, I think Cap Finistere looks awful now. She was a really good looking ship externally but that's just an ugly, tall, thin, mis-shaped lump on the top; ignoring the wings, surely they could have done a far better job of it?

I don't know why they didn't replace the wings - it has been a huge mistake, that one - seems to be the majority of opinion on social media!!

Missing, Barfleur, been busy squabbling about the Liberation and her various woes, she will hopefully be all sorted and things will be settled around here!!

Edited by Khaines

I had to google pictures of Barfleur, at first I couldn't tell the difference. It seems like her conversion will be very sympathetic from a profile point of view and actually dare I say I think it actually looks like an improvement.

I actually quite like Normandie's. It makes her look a little different but it's replicating angles from elsewhere on her structure as she already does have some "slab angles" - although nothing quite a severe as the Germanic severity of some ships like Val de Loire etc. Yes, her funnel is now very big but it suits her own chunky style.

On the otherhand, I think Cap Finistere looks awful now. She was a really good looking ship externally but that's just an ugly, tall, thin, mis-shaped lump on the top; ignoring the wings, surely they could have done a far better job of it?

I agree with you entirely especially your comments about CF but I suppose if it complies with the regs and does the job then fine

Facebook group Brittany Ferries Pics and Vids has some pics of Barfleur in progress - not able to share them here due to it being a closed group and would violate copyright, but for those on Facebook who are interested in seeing them, might be worth joining. Loads of good pics on there of the ships. Barfleur engines being rebuilt by the looks of photos seen in past, she looks like she is being given a thorough going over. Pics don't exactly show the finished look - maybe a hint at the new funnels, difficult to tell those!!

Edited by Khaines

Which is a good thing!!! After Cap and Normandie - could be forgiven for being ever so slightly worried about her!!! Can relax now a bit!!

We should be delighted that they will no longer be polluting anywhere near as much....... I have noticed a huge difference in the lack of cr&p from ships in the channel this year. The usual brown smudge has gone...!

• Like 2

Totally agree with you Skip , was interesting that the lowest day recently of London pollution was the day no buses ran (strike maybe?) , going to try and get a shot on the new hybrid Calmac ferries they should be super eco friendly .

Edited by neilcvx

Looks like Barfleur is coming along lovely. She will be in the fleet for many more years to come which is brilliant, she is a lovely true classic cruise ferry from the era of Bretagne and Normandie.

cant wait to see what she looks like once she has been completed. Hopefully her funnels stay as they are mostly which looks like it !