Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Barfleur's turn for scrubbers

Looks like Barfleur is coming along lovely. She will be in the fleet for many more years to come which is brilliant, she is a lovely true classic cruise ferry from the era of Bretagne and Normandie.

cant wait to see what she looks like once she has been completed. Hopefully her funnels stay as they are mostly which looks like it !

she is a lovely true classic cruise ferry from the era of Bretagne and Normandie.

I'm going to disagree with you a bit there... whilst she is from that era, I don't think Barfleur fits into the category of cruise ferry. She's missing a few crucial features when built like a reasonable proportion of cabins for the passenger load, an entertainment venue and a sense of "wow factor", such as feature like Bretagne/Normandie/MSM/Pont-Aven's atriums or Val de Loire's restaurant deck and viewing gallery.

But what I think Barfleur does qualify very much as is one of the first ships in the UK from the configuration that's become known as "ro-pax" where they were essentially high freight capacity, more facilities than a freighter and that typical big open stern. From the UK, the only other ro-pax I think pre-dating her into service was Stena Challenger at Dover in 1991. Just after in 1993 was Pride of Burgundy and in 1995 was Isle of Innisfree (now in NZ, the one that P&O used to Cherbourg in the mid 00s). Back then that configuration really wasn't widespread and wasn't a big thing in areas like the Baltic either, where the cruise ferry concept developed. There was certainly nothing else in the North Sea, Irish Sea or English Channel like them. So I reckon in history Stena Challenger goes down as the first day passenger ro-pax and Barfleur the first ro-pax with an overnight crossing configuration. And Pride of Burgundy set adoption of the concept back by a couple of years!

Well I'm sure Bf wont dare make Barfleur's funnels a eye sore otherwise they will have the whole of Poole after them !!
think a few miffed faces about, lol!! Hard to believe a few years ago when she went to Dover that all this would be going on now. She is getting a thorough overhaul by the looks of it, not just her funnels.

Think they will be slightly squarer - see there is what looks like a new bit being added!!

Yes - overall not a lot different I believe! If DFDS had been doing it they would have simply linked them together by placing a large shed in between and increasing drag by about 600% :)

Barfy was also jumboised in Norway during her construction due to a renewed interest in cross channel ferry travel. Personally I think both the Arm and MSM are a natural evolution of Barfleur's original design. Their concept is very similar with a larger passenger carrying capacity...

Looking at the pictures in Spain, BF do seem to be investing a fair bit on her.

Barfy was also jumboised in Norway during her construction due to a renewed interest in cross channel ferry travel. Personally I think both the Arm and MSM are a natural evolution of Barfleur's original design. Their concept is very similar with a larger passenger carrying capacity...

Yes indeed, I cannot imagine her being worth much more than the amount being spent on scrubbers? (Around 10M if similar to the other vessels completed).

On another note, if she was "jumboised" during construction, what were her original intended specs?

On another note, if she was "jumboised" during construction, what were her original intended specs?

Public information regarding her original spec seems to be quite limited, from what I can gather she would have been 18,000GT, 149m long (different sources give different lengths) with no passenger cabins on deck 8. I suspect she would have had a considerably smaller cafe area.

Public information regarding her original spec seems to be quite limited, from what I can gather she would have been 18,000GT, 149m long (different sources give different lengths) with no passenger cabins on deck 8. I suspect she would have had a considerably smaller cafe area.

Very interesting.... Thanks Timmy.

She was jumbolised twice was she?

Once on the blocks in Finland and another one in norway?

She was built in Finland at Kvaerner Masa in Turku, Finland (that place has had many names, including Wartsila, Aker Finnyards, STX Europe and now Meyer Turku). She was lengthened ONCE before entered service, so has always been in the configuration she is now.

It was cited at the time that the lengthing was due to increased demand for the route.

It was widely speculated at the time, but never confirmed by Brittany Ferries or the yard, that it was due to a serious problem with her deadweight meaning she wouldn't be able to carry as much freight as she was intended to in her specification or to make her commercially viable. There is precedence, the Isle of Mull for CalMac experienced the same issue and was also lengthened for that reason, but shortly after entering service. That is likely, remember Barfleur was one of the first ro-pax ferries out so her proportions would have been very different to what the yard would have been used to.

Not build in Turku (it's MV NORMANDIE) but Helsinki (wiki is wrong).

Hi there! One of my uncles worked in the Brittany ( Purbeck, Coutances and a period on board Normandy Shipper ), and I recall that at the time of the construction of BARFLEUR he told me that they had decided to extend it following a default. ( he told me that the bow was too immersed in the water ) ...

Edited by giloine

Once when she is painted - she will be as goid as a new ship with all the engine works going on. She looks like a lot has been dismantled and possibly replaced? Thinking of a few years ago when she went to Dover, don't think anyone including me would have predicted she would have this much work done on her. Seeing older pics of her at her scruffiest, shortly after she returned from her charter, this will be the complete opposite!!

I have heard (to be confirmed) that during her construction she was constructed in surpluss ex USSR steel, resulting in serious overweight. Being lower in the water meant her cargo capacities were reduced. The solution was to lengthen the ship by a few meters shorthy after the first trials. I was told that the windows added are therefore not the same and the they are checked independently to the others as they do not come from the same manufacturer.

Source : Trusted 30 year BF employee.

She was specifically designed to have a shallow draft for Poole harbour, so I would find it hard to beleive that they could allow such a mistake in her construction to occur, with the draft being such a crucial design consideration?

From the February 1992 edition of Ships Monthly (page 42):

"In an almost unprecedented move....Truckline has decided to increase capacity of the new....ferry Barfleur even before completion! Instead of being delivered in January, the 18000-ton vessel is now spending a further three months at the Kvaerner Masa Shipyard in Helsinki for....the insertion of a further section that will increase overall length from 149 to 158 metres. Truckline....made the decision after last year's record carrying's between Poole and Cherbourg.....Ian Carruthers, managing director of Brittany Ferries, confirmed that negotiations with Masa to lengthen the ship were started after traffic through Poole had increased by 19%."

From the Spring 1992 edition of British Ferry Scene (pages 13-14):

"It has been reported elsewhere that there may have been some deadweight and stability problems with the construction of the Barfleur. Brittany Ferries spokesman Toby Oliver, speaking to BFS recently, said "These rumours are totally unfounded, as there have been no construction problems at all with the vessel". The Finnish yard has also confirmed this point to one of our readers who visited the ship during early March."

However, from the March 1992 edition of Ships Monthly (page 31):

"There seems rather more to the lengthening of....Barfleur than the widely-publicised need to provide extra capacity on the Poole-Cherbourg route. Reports from Finland suggest that the real reason for the new nine-metre mid-body section may be the discovery of potential deadweight and stability problems.....This theory tends to be supported by the fact that Barfleur is being lengthened by such a modest amount....and by the decision of Brittany Ferries to abandon plans for the second new building, which was expected to go to the Masa group, in favour of the second-hand purchase of the Nils Holgersson."

So, interesting. If there were indeed deadweight problems with Barfleur, it looks like that may have had a direct bearing on the entry of Val de Loire into the fleet (as opposed to what was previously intended to be a new build).

You could say there was a potential 'cover up' by the finnish and BF over the dead weight problems aha

Great info Gareth ! Had BF thought of a New build to replace the Bretagne on the Spannish run ?

Edited by JetStreamer

Yeah I meant Finland, sorry...!

Good info Gareth. I didn't think Kvaerner took the yards over until '94 after both Barfleur and Normandie were launched?

She is quite immaculate inside, but they might have made some changes, last time she was kitted out inside was around 2011 before she went to Dover. Apart from a flooring change in high traffic public areas where they have changed from carpet to hard flooring. Actually, prefer carpeting!!