Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Barfleur's turn for scrubbers

She is quite immaculate inside, but they might have made some changes, last time she was kitted out inside was around 2011 before she went to Dover. Apart from a flooring change in high traffic public areas where they have changed from carpet to hard flooring. Actually, prefer carpeting!!

I would say new colour scheme in the self service and enlarge the shop slightly. That's all that I think would be of benefit personally...

Shop could do with being a bit bigger. If they did away with those central display stands and tool out that bit between the wine and the gift display cabinet. Condor Liberation's shop is about twice the size of Barfleur's, which for a smaller HSC craft, bigger as she is than, say, NEX, she has got a spacious shop, pretty sure they could find the space on Barf being a "proper ship"!!

I quite liked Barfleur's shop, it was dinky but quite well stocked. What I didn't know in advance was how cheap the wine was on board; could only buy by the box of six bottles, but the price was really good (about £2.50 per bottle) and could tell it was cheap stuff, but actually quite drinkable and about the same as a £7 bottle in Tesco. Not really thinking, we only got a box each when hard the car below... should have bought a crate of it! It would have saved stopping off at the supermarket on the way to the port too, allowing more time to do other stuff in France. On the outward on MSM we got on on board late, had food and some drinks and by the time a mooch around was in order they'd shut the shop. Perhaps they could mention the offers in the pre-travel email they send (probably was in the big leaflet they give you when you check-in in Pompey but when it's late and dark, not really going to read it).

Perhaps they could mention the offers in the pre-travel email they send (probably was in the big leaflet they give you when you check-in in Pompey but when it's late and dark, not really going to read it).

Here you go: http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/onboard/shopping/wines (although not all offers are mentioned) - the brochures are on line too.

I've tried a lot of BF's wines, from £2 to £20 a bottle, and it's almost all good for the price, I think. There are often some samples to be had in the shop, especially at the cheaper end of the price range.

If you like powerful southern Rhone red wines, the Mas Neuf (Costières de Nîmes) is on offer at the moment, £14.40 for two bottles, it's very good - a poor person's Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and the Vacqueyras (£9.90) is, in my opinion, absolutely lovely.

For Bordeaux, the Haut Canteloup is a good cheap one, but the Tour de By is an excellent classic claret on offer at about £62 for a wooden case of 6.

Bourgogne: I'd recommend a creamy Sauvignon blanc, the Saint-Bris for £6.50 and they also have wooden cases of 12 Mercurey wines, 6 red (a fruity pinot noir), and 6 white (an oaked chardonnay) for £99, which is good.

Think they will take some getting used to - glad they have given her blue tips not white ones. As said, better than the beaches, glad we still have her after the years of uncertainty, funnel shapes are trivial at the end of the day.

Instead of squaring them off, why couldn't they taper the forward section they added to make a similar (but bigger) profile to the origional

The worst thing that could posbibly happen to her is that she is Economie branded - now the brown stuff would really kick off. Was thinking that last night, she has yet to be painted, a good idea now of how the funnels will look, now the paint job. I do hope she does not have THAT word in her new livery....

Don't think it would make a difference, exactly to routes or anything, but just reckon she should be ringfenced against that one!!

Indeed. Baie de Seine is labelled as economie when she might better than Barfleur with some premium cabins.

I wonder if BDS "Economie Plus" (Portsmouth-Le Havre) will be more expensive than "Standard 4 berth outside" (Poole - Cherbourg). That would be interesting... similar distance route. One "economie", one "cruise", but I think the "economie plus" will be substantially larger/better than the "Standard 4 berth outside" ...

Actually I suppose I could price it up now.

I can't really see where BDS has a greater choice of facilities, cabins yes, although you'd expect that from a ship sailing to Spain and one which travels to France overnight... Regarding her 'Economie Plus' cabin's they are £18 more expensive than a comparative evening sailing on Barfy

BDS hasn't got Economie on her livery - or is that to be added?

Neither Tat or BDS have economie on their livery, just a blue wave instead of red and blue stripes.

Yeah, I see your point Neil, I've been looking at Bf's ship guide... I'm surprised they haven't put pulman recliners in the reading/wifi area. For me she is definitely a cut above Etretat. I've never fancied Spain on a Visentini but I'll definitely consider BDS...

• Like 1

There are pics on Facebook of her still in the shipyard with her new funnels - not sure if due to privacy settings I can share them on here as they are in a group.