Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Barfleur's turn for scrubbers

I guess the design took not addinng more windage aft in order not to add to the difficulties she has departing the Poole berth in a westerly gale.

Absolutely... One would not want to forget ones' size and the speed at which one was going in Poole harbour at low tide, and snag oneself on a chain ferry for example :)

I guess the design took not addinng more windage aft in order not to add to the difficulties she has departing the Poole berth in a westerly gale.

Absolutely... One would not want to forget ones' size and the speed at which one was going in Poole harbour at low tide, and snag oneself on a chain ferry for example :)

I travelled on her last week and they have done a very tidy job, if you didn't know better you'd think the scrubbers had been fitted all along.

The whole exhaust area on both stacks was looking extremely tired rusty and uncared for now the work they have done makes it look like a new ship.

The difference the scrubbers have made to exhaust colour though is incredible as well. No more claggy departures from Cherbourg! :-( The only slightly odd change that's noticeable is that when you stand out by the bar entrance at the back of the ship, Barfy now makes a strange gurgling sound every so often I thought it was the bloke stood next to me at first presumably he thought the same!

Out of curiosity does anyone know if having the scrubbers fitted throttles the performance of the engines in the way that a catalytic converter does on a car?

Hope they don't cause any problems, wonder where the gurgling sound comes from, is there any water involved in the scrubbing process?

Possibly the the raw water is taken off the main sea chest and discharged overboard after a filtration prosess. Just a guess

The process has two stages, firstly seawater is pumped from outboard directly and sprayed across HFO exhaust gases to capture both SO2 & NO2. The second stage requires a further seawater wash and then dilution takes place to raise the PH to 6.5, a safe level for sea life.

Interestingly, Ships running on refined diesel still produce higher emissions than sea water scrubbed heavy fuel oil particularly CO2 to the tune of nearly 30000 tons. Scrubber installation and continuing to burn HFO is far more cost effective and has a far less environmental impact.

So the scrubbed gases are basically just pumped straight back into the sea then? That kind of defeats the object doesn't it?

Scrubbed gases are released into the atmosphere, washwater returns to the sea...

Converting HFO into DO creates a huge amount of CO2, far more than continuing to use heavy fuel. Seawater has a PH of 8.22 releasing scrubber washwater has an impact of a 0.01 PH reduction in a heavy traffic area such as the Channel or the Kattegat. Continuing to use fuels in the manner before 2015 would have a major effect on seawater PH levels, the bicarbonate buffer capacity would be completely depleted.

As I've mentioned on other threads, the future will be LNG, when the only exhaust gas emitted from a stack will be H20...

But atmosphere or sea, it still ends up being returned to the environment....

(Most of the SO2 and NO2 in the atmosphere would just end up dissolving in rain drops and being returned to the sea in any case, albeit some of it via rivers etc...)

But atmosphere or sea, it still ends up being returned to the environment....

(Most of the SO2 and NO2 in the atmosphere would just end up dissolving in rain drops and being returned to the sea in any case, albeit some of it via rivers etc...)

Yep, there's no getting away from it. All anyone can do is reduce it to a "manageable" level.

On her at the moment to be honest the difference is neglible - she sounds exactly the same engine wise, her funnels don't look much different from on board. (Got some pics, but uploading using the wifi on board is a bit iffy so will do later). Basically the same old Barf.

Thanks Khaines. It shows what a neat job can be done with scrubbers. Something of a contrast to the job DFDS did on (especially) Optima Seaways which I think will hold the record for ugliest conversion for some time!

Thanks Khaines, really good pics which illustrate BF's aesthetic approach. Utilising the air gap between funnel and lifeboat rather than build inboard. A quality job.