Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wortley

Another strike in Calais

I do beleive BF issued a PDF some years ago of "how to get to Calais from our ports" when BF were striking

Perhaps they should print some more now :)

(although perhaps passengers arriving at Portsmouth from Dover will not appreciate the 300% price hike)

And again today... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-33235473

About as grown up as the blasted stupid name of the company!

And again today... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-33235473

About as grown up as the blasted stupid name of the company!

I have never seen more than about 10 people on a MFL ship. god knows how they stayed in business till now. I wonder how much Eurotunnel actually pumped in to keep them operating.

The right to strike is important.In France this last resort is used when all else fails.

These people are losing their livelihoods haven't they got the right to protest?

They just seem to do it more than anyone else.

Probably because their employment laws allow them to.

Right or wrong?

I mustn't get political!

They just seem to do it more than anyone else.

Perhaps they don't operate under very restrictive laws like we do. It's a very fine line between the loss of the ability to strike and slave labour.

Tunnel is shut now.

Quick BF send out them maps to ports!!

Leopards and spots. Perhaps if the French mentality was different these guys may still have secure jobs at a thriving SeaFrance.

Leopards and spots. Perhaps if the French mentality was different these guys may still have secure jobs at a thriving SeaFrance.

Or be queuing at The P&O employment office.

Thank Margaret that British employment law is now so tuned to primarily benefit companies rather than employees. This surely gives British ferry companies the competitive edge when it comes to operating cross channel ferries...

Blasted French and their bloody striking again. Thank Margaret that British employment law is now so tuned to primarily benefit companies rather than employees. This surely gives British ferry companies the competitive edge when it comes to operating cross channel ferries...

Yes because they can use things like zero hour contracts.

Blasted French and their bloody striking again. Thank Margaret that British employment law is now so tuned to primarily benefit companies rather than employees. This surely gives British ferry companies the competitive edge when it comes to operating cross channel ferries...

And that's why there is only one british ferry company on cross-channel services... P&O is not a very profitable company, isn't it.

There are no British owned ferry companies. As posted, PO ferries is owned by the UAE. The British Government would sell the air if it could!

Hmmm, I think we could could equally also thank the same person for doing so much to ensure that there are now no British owned cross channel ferry operators, and precious few British-flagged ferries in general; of those that are, what proportion of the crew are British?

On this particular strike, I really cannot understand their mentality in seemingly shooting themselves in the foot like this. As far as I am aware, DFDS have not announced any plans to make crew redundant, or to re-flag the vessels away from France (their other ships on the Calais route are French flagged), so to cause so much disruption to so many people, purely on the basis of hypothetical assumptions, seems particularly unnecessary.

There are no British owned ferry companies. As posted, PO ferries is owned by the UAE. The British Government would sell the air if it could!

CalMac are owned by the Scottish Government. And technically what about White Link, Tamar Ferry, Hover Travel, and Red funnel? I think they all have UK owners

Indeed there are not and it makes you wonder how BF can make a go of it what with employing French nationals with all that higher minimum wage business, shorter working week, more annual holiday oh and that retiring at 62 thing. Can't really see that situation changing for the main BF brand but the surely the economie brand is ripe for staffing with foreign nationals? There seemed to be a few English staff on the Baie de Sein...

The strikers have now set fire to piles of tyres on the Eurostar tracks while the authorities probably stood idly by as usual: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-33323978

Workers may have the right to strike but this seems completely over the top. Perhaps they will blow up the Channel Tunnel next - after all it impacts on their employment prospects...