Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wortley

Another strike in Calais

The CEO of P&O has spoke out about the French Government.

Helen Deeble, the chief executive of P&O Ferries, said: "Through no fault of their own, our passengers are caught in the middle of an industrial relations battle that has been caused by Eurotunnel.

"This has left thousands of holidaymakers and lorry drivers stranded without adequate facilities."

She said the company's staff had been "doing their best" to keep passengers supplied with food and water.

"Let me be clear, the buck stops with the French government. They have effectively abandoned any attempt to maintain security at the port of Calais," Ms Deeble said.

"When is the British government going to stand up to ensure that we can all get to mainland Europe safely and securely?"

She said the industrial action was putting thousands of jobs at risk.

I don't know why ferry operaters don't use the port of Boulogne where there is very little if any(at the moment) of a migrant problem as well as being a bit calmer re the strikers(again for the moment).

I don't know why ferry operaters don't use the port of Boulogne where there is very little if any(at the moment) of a migrant problem as well as being a bit calmer re the strikers(again for the moment).

P&o have been this afternoon but only on England to France, no facility's at Bologne for p&o to use for check in means only south bound is carrying traffic.

P&o have been this afternoon but only on England to France, no facility's at Bologne for p&o to use for check in means only south bound is carrying traffic.

Didn't Speed Ferries use this port not so long ago.Have the facilities been taken out?

For the reason given on the other thread that P&O don't have any check in infrastructure at Boulogne (or UK Immigration checks) and I don't suppose they are going to the expense of setting that up for what is likely to be a relatively temporary situation while the strike continues.

In the longer term I don't suppose that Boulogne would have the capacity of Calais and if the ferry companies switched port then the migrants would simply follow.

For the reason given on the other thread that P&O don't have any check in infrastructure at Boulogne (or UK Immigration checks) and I don't suppose they are going to the expense of setting that up for what is likely to be a relatively temporary situation while the strike continues.

In the longer term I don't suppose that Boulogne would have the capacity of Calais and if the ferry companies switched port then the migrants would simply follow.

I understand what you are saying but wouldn't it be a good idea to have an alternative to Calais at this present moment of time.

The migrants might follow but not straight away.

Yes, nice to have but would have to be paid for, what about the infrastructure, computer facilities needed etc. Dunkerque would be a better option as it is already a working ferryport but it may not have the capacity.

LD managed to cobble something together. Shame they couldn't make a go of it, anything to avoid the hole that is Calais.

The 'i' newspaper today reports;

"DFDS has offered 200 jobs to 600 MyFerryLink workers".

In a way it is nice that this is happening and it's NOT negatively affecting BF in the media for once.

Three weeks later... Calais port has finally fully re-opened, permitting DFDS services to enter the port.

Still no word on the Berlioz or Rodin. Unbelievable really.

I can honestly say that Calais even before this is about the only place in France that I wouldn't go back to it really has turned into a dump.