Sign in to follow this  
Tregastel

BISCAY: BF to operate Saint Nazaire - Gijon?

I'd have thought such a route would be a complete own goal in terms of compromising its existing routes to Spain. Only reason I can see BF being interested in this is to keep out another operator if one was on the horizon. What I could see them being interested in, however, and also one that is outside the emissions regulations, would be an Ireland-Spain route, but not sure whether there would be enough demand to make a route from Cork viable.

I would imagine that with money hard to find in the present market and with BF's policy at Le Havre and investment to it's ships due to new regulations, that expansion of this type would not be considered at the present moment.

I have heard that Spain-Irish Sea is getting some thought. Pity Bristol doesn't have any ferry facilities -- as far as I am aware. Bilbao/Santander-Avonmouth might have possibilities. The Irish Sea is, of course, outside the emissions control area.

Interesting - do you mean Irish Sea on the UK side? If so, there can only be a limited number of realistic possibilities. Can't see Swansea or Fishguard being suitable for BF tonnage. Of the existing port facilities, Pembroke Dock is presumably feasible but I'd have thought Holyhead would be in the box seat to cater for Spain-bound traffic from the north. Avonmouth (or anywhere else in the Bristol Channel) would require probably too much work. It would make more sense to me if Irish Sea meant somewhere on the Irish side, which effectively means Rosslare, Cork or Dublin. Cork obviously already has BF connections, but hardly counts as Irish Sea. So will be interesting to see how this develops.

From a Welsh port point of view, It would be Fishguard or Holyhead, both have the sea room, both have direct rail links and both can cater for larger tonnage, especially a ship that would require the freight capacity. If the market was there, it would be Stena, if any, who would look at it. There would be no port costs for them as they own both plus they would be able to secure the required tonnage form their sister company. Again, if the market was there, they could gain market share for a minimal investment.

ICG could gain the same advantage if the market was there from Dublin, again owning all of the facilities gives them a head start, however they would need to secure tonnage from a third party.

There is a strong feeling that Ireland could sustain a direct Ro-Pax route but many think the carriers are waiting to see what the Tivoli expansion at Cork offers in terms of facilities.

I have seen that Suardiaz are interested in buying out LD Lines' interest in GLD, the original operators of Gijon-St Nazaire, i.e. Grimaldi Louis Dreyfus, with a view to reviving the service but it's all subject to consents etc so we shall have to see. I suppose we can now conclude LD Lines have passed into history. I can't see any port welcoming them now unless it's with copper bottomed guarantees they are in it for the long haul!

I now see from the news report I read that Suardiaz have actually acquired LD's stake in GLD Atlantique, to give the outfit its full name. The consents needed are from the Spanish and French Governments. So as usual it's a case of wait and see. Interestingly I don't think Grimaldi were ever involved. They just didn't see Gijon-St Nazaire as being financially viable unlike Louis Dreyfus Armateurs -- or could it be the subsidy LD were interested in? One hopes PHC are putting the case for Poole should Suardiaz succeed and have ideas about reviving the service to the English south coast. I'm not sure I buy this suggestion of competition doing for LD. I somehow think they weren't really trying! Did anyone compare freight rates? Doubtless BF have got a close eye on developments. But mustn't go on. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum!

I have seen that Suardiaz are interested in buying out LD Lines' interest in GLD, the original operators of Gijon-St Nazaire, i.e. Grimaldi Louis Dreyfus, with a view to reviving the service but it's all subject to consents etc so we shall have to see. I suppose we can now conclude LD Lines have passed into history. I can't see any port welcoming them now unless it's with copper bottomed guarantees they are in it for the long haul!
We found the LD LINES route 2 years when our first granddaughter was born in Cork. It suited us perfectly Gijon-St Nazaire. Drive up to Roscoff then the Pont to Cork. We did that for two years then bingo it was all over so this year it was back on the Cap to Portsmouth drive up to Liverpool then over to Ireland. We became aware that lots of Irish people were making similar journeys. It would seem that there is an opportunity for BF here to either have a summer route Dublin or Cork to either Roscoff and on to Bilbao/Santander or even Gijon.

The LD LINES had the advantage of a Motorway of the Sea subsidy and a huge contract with Peugeot to deliver cars to Portugal from France, there was also a large number of freight vehicles from Portugal making the journey to add to the income. The BF experts will tell me if I am wrong but could not the Cotentin be brought back to do a loop Gijon-St Nazaire with mixed freight passenger cars and a land bridge to Roscoff for Ireland. For the ordinary punter like me they could through ticket the route and time the movements to make the driving bit fit into the timetable

It seems a shipping company has got the concession to run Gijon=Montoir. Problem: they don't have a suitable ship! Thus they will be chartering something, presumably. We'll just have to wait and see.

Can you give us anymore information on this one Hawser we have already booked next year back to Portsmouth and looking for flights from Bournemouth/Cork or the long drive to Liverpool and flight to Cork or even Holyhead for Dublin all in a tight timescale for the 8th July. Incidentally where is Montoir in relation to St Nazaire/Rosscoff?

So about where the LD Lines RoRo terminal was located. Also where Peugot store thousands of new cars bound for Spain/Portugal. Just at the high level is where the two aircraft carriers being built for Russia now to be sold to India.