Sign in to follow this  
daves_pad!

BRETAGNE: 30th Anniversary

The accountants are in control now, but they don't necessarily recognise value for money. It's all about the short term bottom line rather than a more holistic appreciation of the situation which might suggest that a bit of investment in keeping Bretagne going might actually pay off for a number of years yet.

Her cabin accommodation may not be up to the latest standards but if kept clean and working efficiently is quite adequate for an overnight crossing while the general facilities of the ship are as good as they ever were and in my view better than later vessels.

Dumbing down is not always the answer in maintaining passenger numbers. maybe a bit of imagination is in order!

The general lack of maintenance would suggest she's a lost cause, I would think that BF see the future Ships on a low staff and sufficient facilities basis rather than having great alacarte dining,piano players etc, I would suggest that the StMalo route wouldn't suffer too much if it was Armorique covering it instead of the Pont,that's not too say that that's my preferred way for them to go it would be a perilous downward spiral.

Neil you'll be shot saying the Arm should cover St Malo full time. I've never done the Portsmouth St Malo crossing but reading what people write the day crossing is long so being able to pass the time having a full meal in the restaurant and having proper entertainment in the bar helps to relieve the boredom.

I didn't say she should I said booking numbers probably wouldn't be affected.

It was only an example to suggest an alternative scenario.

Edited by neilcvx

Having used the St.Malo service for many many years, the Formal restaurant is often packed, with a waiting list. There are lots of grumbles when the Armorique covers. The restaurant is also often busy at breakfast. I can easily spend £50 having dinner, wine and breakfast. And so do many other people. I find the Armorique uninspiring. We eat before boarding, and get breakfast at St. Suiliac or similar.... Total spend zilch. Similar on the return, the lunch service is well supported. If the Armorique is running back from St.Malo during the day, we don't use it, we travel to Caen and get on the Mont. I don't accept that the only way is economie......

I would say though that the Armorique has great cabins...

Bretagne is far from being a lost cause, and there can be plenty of tacks as the wind changes in the weeks and months ahead. The option to refit her, to a greater or lesser degree still exists and has not been shredded.

• Like 1

Bretagne is far from being a lost cause, and there can be plenty of tacks as the wind changes in the weeks and months ahead. The option to refit her, to a greater or lesser degree still exists and has not been shredded.

Hi Colin.

Good to hear Bretagne May have some sort of future still left with Bf and people are still positive about her, I hate it when people say she is old......etc!! She is far from old and is in beautiful condition, she just needs a little more work from painting, maintenance etc when she is in refit which surely is not differ cult.

She is still the most beautiful looking vessel in the fleet by far, I love her massive deep sea bow and her lines, she is such a sleek looking vessel which Bf have not managed to do with there newer vessels or I doubt they ever will as I think it would cost to much nowadays !!

So come on Bf put done investment in her as we don't want her to go anywhere she is what makes up the true Bf experience ! If a refit is planned I hope they still keep her classy ness. Bretagne is a true classic which will never be replaced so we need to keep her as long as possible. Bf you owe so much to Bretagne she is what made Bf so a little investment in her is the least you can do for her ! She has many more years left at least 5 -10 years in her and it seems stupid not to invest in her, she is a marvelous vessel. We all love her so come on Bf wake up !!

She is like family and I can't loose her !

Just wish she would be back on the Sandtander routes it's a different experience sailing on Bretagne, I live being on her massive bow coming into Santander. Pont aven does not seem to do it in my eyes she has always not quite had it !! A good vessel but never a replacement for the Bretagne not even close !!

Keep ruling the waves as the true flagship Bretagne.

This all comes back to the question of what will cover St Malo? With the new build on the back burner it is either keep Bretagne or get another ship to replace her or the Pont if they still want to move her to St Malo full time.

I think there is far too much rhetoric. Remember that she was replaced on the Spanish route quite early on, the Val covered the route for twice as many years. I'm also sure that Normandie, Barfleur and Val de Loire help make BF too.

Yes, she is classy and yes she is my favourite, the latter for emotional reasons. However, she is of her time, narrow congested car decks due to modern car sizes and steep staircases. Cabin sizes have also increased during her 26 years at sea.

The Portsmouth-St Malo route is one of the most popular leaving the UK and requires increased capacity and a emission compliant vessel. This unfortunately cannot be provided even in the medium term by Bretagne.

In high season, yes. Otherwise it comes down to simply lowering the operating cost as much as possible to cope with different loadings. Sometimes they can up the freight percentages, but passengers / cars simply fade away for a fair part of the year.

She is the epitome of the cruise ferry era, a floating hotel, a bit like the Olau and Mariella girls from the same period. Her focus was on passenger comfort not on freight which unfortunately is now the only way to compete.

If we look how the Ro Pax has evolved, it's now more Ro than Pax, freight carriers with passenger accommodation. As Gareth pointed out to me on another thread, DFDS now have just four vessels classed as passenger ships, the two from Newcastle and the two which sail from Copenhagen.

The other thing with Bretagne, it's still the Land Rover of the fleet, the one you can send to sea when everything else won't be able to cope

The other thing with Bretagne, it's still the Land Rover of the fleet, the one you can send to sea when everything else won't be able to cope

I don't believe that, most of the ships in the fleet can cope with most elements that the captain would want to sail in.

No I don't agree either, MSM copes very well IMO though some will argue she operates a more sheltered route.

I'd have to agree with neil and sness. they all have reinforced bow and fo'c's'le plating, stabilisers etc. I think the Pont's ice class is 1B?

It's usually limited to the winter months anyway when Pax numbers are low and timetables are altered.

If it was that much of a concern, Etretat would be against a quay somewhere rather than continuing to carry freight.

Bretagne is looking gorgeous in her twitter picture on the home page. What a lovely picture. Now that's what a cruise ferry should look like, she is spotless. Plus her bow looks massive, she is a stunning vessel. Love her lines and curves she certainly is an eye turner.

look at her Bf and appreciate what you have with her she is a stunning vessel, then look at the rest of your fleet they look nothing like her she is such a beautiful vessel and such a icon which we will never see anything built like her again !!

keep ruling the waves as the true flagship Bretagne.

Whatever decisions BF make over Bretagne, one thing is certain - they will not be based on emotion or sentiment.

Hi Gareth.

I'm afraid I totally agree with you there !! BF seem to have lost there way nowadays and don't seem to care about their vessels like they used to do.

Think alot has changed since the chairman passed away think it was back in 2008 ? Since then it has been a spiral downwards !!!

I think Bretagne will always be the most loved vessel in their history for certain and the future too as now cruise ferries they just have no class or beautiful looks like the classy lady. She was certainly a one off.

Now Bf that's how to do it take note !! The Bretagne way, the ONLY way !!

Whatever decisions BF make over Bretagne, one thing is certain - they will not be based on emotion or sentiment.

Very true. It's we as the traveller who create the memories which lead to emotional and sentimental attachment...

We know BF will replace her with a modern, quality and stylish ship and no doubt in 25 years the debate will continue when she herself is replaced.

It's ships, it's what we do and what BF rely on...It's what creates brand loyalty and active forums!

I think the company is run very well they provide a service that people are willing to pay a premium for (even their economy service) they adapt to meet consumer demands and they still have a certain something about them that makes them different.

I travel on the Bretagne on a regular basis and think she is still the best ship in the fleet. My last trip was a week ago. The Restaurant just gets better and the cabins are clean and well equipped.

Deck painting being done and the helicopter pad being re done during the crossing I always feel I have more space on this ship.

Back to the UK on Wednesday on the Express on her first sailing of the year.