BRETAGNE: 30th Anniversary

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t think of many ferries that would evoke so many memories by their passengers. Bretagne certainly has a following like no other. 

Happy birthday to the ‘old girl. Feels Iike only yesterday she sailed into Plymouth Sound for the first time - complete with a party on the Hoe! She truly is integral part of generational memorie

The obligatory crew photo, marking 30 years, and her sporting le grand pavois to make the occasion    

Posted Images

Thanks for the video. Hopefully they have got it replaced now as that video was about 1 month ago. Its a big thing to have missing I'm sure they will get it sorted asap.

watched that at home right now, wish I was onboard beautiful Bretagne at this moment. Oh well just over 3 weeks till I am onboard Bretagne. Cant wait !

We were on the Bretagne Tuesday and Wednesday this week on a return from Plymouth to Roscoff and the illuminated letter is still missing.

I agree with some that she is indeed showing her age in the cabin department, compared to those on the Pont Aven and Armorique which are more modern and spacious. They are getting tatty, particularly in the shower room with chipped and grubby fittings and miss matched ceiling panels.

We booked a Club 4 cabin in both directions 6703 outbound and 8304 inbound and ended up moving to 8100 on the return journey as the heating control on the ceiling was broken and would not stop spitting out cold air. The locks were problematic as well having difficulty getting in to 8100 resulting in a man from the Information Desk having to come up who looked thoroughly inconvenienced.

• 2 weeks later...

It is quite reflective of the wastage, superiorist culture of modern day society that a vessel that functions perfectly well is being spoken of being retired when it is not even approaching 30 years old!

Bretagne does a great job, has rarely let the company down (in terms of breakdowns and incidents), receives great reviews etc - yet because she is approaching 30 must now be replaced. In 2016 she outclasses many vessels on the channel.

Things such as this, along with the (in my opinion) dubious EU sulphur agreements which has caused many fine vessels to be ruined in appearance with ridiculous 'scrubber' arrangements, has in all honesty reduced my interest not only in Brittany Ferries, but the ferry industry as a whole.

When Quiberon and Duc de Normandie left the fleet for instance, despite nostalgic disappointment it was understandable. They were showing their age and didn't match the quality of other vessels in the fleet. The fact we are discussing two very good vessels in Bretagne and Normandie having to leave the fleet purely because of their age upsets me. If they were two dirty useless rustbuckets that constantly let the company down then fair enough - as I have said they both outclass newer vessels sailing out of the UK!!

Le Quiberon. Stop eu bashing. The sulphur regs. are not E.U. they are M.A.R.P.O.L. regs. The filth that used to be pumped out was bad news and the associated information around health risks makes for grim reading, the fact that it had to be legislated painfully slowly tells you everything you need to know about industry regulating itself.

I have been lucky enough to travel on her, many times, with some memorable nights in the piano bar - I will be sad to see her go....

• Like 2
It is quite reflective of the wastage, superiorist culture of modern day society that a vessel that functions perfectly well is being spoken of being retired when it is not even approaching 30 years old!

Bretagne does a great job, has rarely let the company down (in terms of breakdowns and incidents), receives great reviews etc - yet because she is approaching 30 must now be replaced. In 2016 she outclasses many vessels on the channel.

Things such as this, along with the (in my opinion) dubious EU sulphur agreements which has caused many fine vessels to be ruined in appearance with ridiculous 'scrubber' arrangements, has in all honesty reduced my interest not only in Brittany Ferries, but the ferry industry as a whole.

When Quiberon and Duc de Normandie left the fleet for instance, despite nostalgic disappointment it was understandable. They were showing their age and didn't match the quality of other vessels in the fleet. The fact we are discussing two very good vessels in Bretagne and Normandie having to leave the fleet purely because of their age upsets me. If they were two dirty useless rustbuckets that constantly let the company down then fair enough - as I have said they both outclass newer vessels sailing out of the UK!!

There have been numerous points raised on here and TripAdvisor about the short falls of Bretagne , slow unloading,cramped vehicle decks,getting moved cabins due to faults , strange smells and taste in the drinking water , in short I think its just the general wear and tear of 20 plus years solid hard work that's beginning to show its age now and how other ferries have advanced also shows her up,I would think that BF wouldn't get many complaints if one of the Harwich/Holland ferries was to sail in to Portsmouth with a fad better choice of cabins for an overnight sailing albeit with less character.

• 3 years later...

Probably not, but the slow loading can`t be solved due to design. Neither can the vehicle decks, which were adequate for the size of cars in the 1980`s but today`s vehicles have expanded. So no change there. Latest reports are that the cabins have had a good clean, lets hope so but reminders of another era are in the bathrooms. The washbasins have built in ashtrays🤣..Where the Bretagne does excel, is in reliability, an excellent sea boat, one of the best restaurants in the fleet and dare I say a sort of homely feel.

Bretagne like the Barfleur and the Normandie were built by owners who presented plans to the shipyard and asked the price. Now they tell the yard the price and then look at the plans. Maybe that`s why those stalwarts are still popular. 

• Like 3

With all the problems Pont Aven has been causing recently, the old reliable workhorse Bretagne shows why she is still worth keeping in service, in spite of her age, so this thread is very current. Many of her problems could be solved if they had a mind to refresh her cabins. The latest issues demonstrate this could well be worth the outlay

• Like 4

But they aren’t going to refresh her cabins are they? They are spending money on new ships not keeping the old ones in they way they need to be to secure their future , I’m sure if Bretagne done Pont-Avens schedule she would start showing her age even more than she does currently.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

But they aren’t going to refresh her cabins are they? They are spending money on new ships not keeping the old ones in they way they need to be to secure their future , I’m sure if Bretagne done Pont-Avens schedule she would start showing her age even more than she does currently.

Anyone care to calculate their relative miles covered / dockings made?
I'm sure Bretagne has done more but I wonder how much more?

• Like 1

Age for age I suspect they are similar.  Neither spends very much time in port - and in the summer, I suspect Bretagne spends more time at sea than Pont Aven (given that she doesn’t have Friday off!).

With the Friday off (and the Thursday night potter), Pont Aven actually has one of the less intensive schedules in the fleet.  Bretagne, the Caen ships and CF all spend far longer at sea per week than Pont Aven and probably cover more miles.

• Like 3

And don’t forget, for her first decade or so, Pont Aven’s schedule WAS Bretagne’s schedule, apart from Bretagne worked harder because she fitted in 2 Plymouth-Roscoff trips.  PA has it easy by comparison.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

And don’t forget, for her first decade or so, Pont Aven’s schedule WAS Bretagne’s schedule, apart from Bretagne worked harder because she fitted in 2 Plymouth-Roscoff trips.  PA has it easy by comparison.

Do winter layups factor in to it much?

5 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Do winter layups factor in to it much?

In recent years that will have caused the per year average to diverge.  But if the question is comparing them age-for-age (in other words comparing Bretagne when she was Pont Aven’s age with Pont Aven now) then it is irrelevant, because the winter layups are a relatively recent phenomonon with Bretagne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Bf Bretagne said:

Wasn't deck 8 fully overhauled in back in 2009. Normandie and Barfy are only 3 years older and don't get praise for their age like the Bretagne does. Has the Normandie had a refurbishment like the 2009 Bretagne one?  

I think Normandie had a decent makeover a couple of years ago , usb points carpets and such like are about all I remember though and Barfluer has her snazzy new executive lounge.

Mont St Michel is two years older than Pont Aven and has a more intensive schedule. I think I know which has aged better... by far.

Comparing Pont Aven with Bretagne is a bit like comparing Britney Spears with Shirley Bassey.

Bretagne has performed consistently for 30 years. Pont Aven isn't capable of her so called top speed without breaking something. I wish BF would just sell her to an offshore wind farm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, jonno said:

Mont St Michel is two years older than Pont Aven and has a more intensive schedule. I think I know which has aged better... by far.

Comparing Pont Aven with Bretagne is a bit like comparing Britney Spears with Shirley Bassey.

Bretagne has performed consistently for 30 years. Pont Aven isn't capable of her so called top speed without breaking something. I wish BF would just sell her to an offshore wind farm.

I much prefer Pont to MSM but we’re all different , on MSM on Friday I’m sure it will be a pleasant crossing.

• Andy changed the title to BRETAGNE: 30th Anniversary