Sign in to follow this  
daves_pad!

BRETAGNE: 30th Anniversary

On 12/07/2019 at 08:47, Khaines said:

Just a heads up to Bretagne fans

Resurrecting this thread to say there is a large feature on Bretagne in the new issue of Ships Monthly, she iscalso on the cover.  Also includes a feature on Pelican the freight only BF ship who sails from Poole.  Will be buying it.  

They had Bretagne on the front cover with a HUGE article on her less than 12 months ago?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

They had Bretagne on the front cover with a HUGE article on her less than 12 months ago?!

Well that tells us that particular issue must of flew off the shelves. Usually when their is an extra-ordinary amount of interest in a topic, magazine editors will have no hesitation in running with that headline topic again. It just shows you the amount love out there for the M/V Bretagne.

• Like 4

I still have this overwhelming fear that when she finally departs the fleet, she is likely to go to the Med now (unlikely DFDS will still show an interest for operations in the North sea at her age)... and more than likely Moby. I just have visions of her being turned into a giant turtle, or ecco the dolphin or something! :/

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I still have this overwhelming fear that when she finally departs the fleet, she is likely to go to the Med now (unlikely DFDS will still show an interest for operations in the North sea at her age)... and more than likely Moby. I just have visions of her being turned into a giant turtle, or ecco the dolphin or something! :/

I fear that also.

If not a giant turtle or dolphin, I fear it could be a Daffy Duck or Bugs Bunny. No ship, especially a ship like the Bretagne, should have to endure that indignity :)

I really hope she does to Jadrolinija in Croatia. They do look after their ships there.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Dumbo maybe?

On 24/07/2019 at 09:59, Ryan_H said:

Has anyone had sight of the long-awaited new book on Bretagne from Ferry Publications? I'm just thinking of ordering a copy...

Email today to say they've dispatched it, apparently I ordered it 5th May last year.

54 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

£18 seems a bit pricey.....

Fair price for a nice niche hardback ?!

• Like 1

Here is the latest edition of Voyage magazine with its article about Bretagne. Pages 57/58 are also interesting with a review of a cruise on the Loire Princesses which goes through our village from time to time if the current and water levels are within reasonable limits and if she's not experiencing any mechanical problems. 

https://t.co/EdeBGGbPMR?amp=1

Ed

2 hours ago, jonno said:

Email today to say they've dispatched it, apparently I ordered it 5th May last year.

I've had the same email, having ordered mine yesterday 😂. I very nearly ordered a few times but decided against it at the last minute, fearing it might not actually get to print...!

For those fearing losing her to the Med I see a number of other possible options for her:

*To be used as a floating hotel anywhere in the world.

*Going anywhere in the Baltics - St Peter Line maybe?

*A rejuvenated new Swansea-Cork service.

*A new or rejuvinated potential UK/Scandinavia service.

Quibz.

I don't really see why Mediterranean service would count as "losing" her compared to any of those alternatives, in which she is rather more likely to be less lovingly looked after either by crew or passengers.

• Like 1

Can I put in a bid for her to run the Rosslare-Roscoff route that Irish Ferries don't seem to want. We remember her well from our time in the UK 

9 hours ago, hhvferry said:

I don't really see why Mediterranean service would count as "losing" her compared to any of those alternatives, in which she is rather more likely to be less lovingly looked after either by crew or passengers.

I've never sailed with Moby Lines but, from what I have seen, they appear to look after their 'veteran' ferries pretty well; if they did not surely they wouldn't still be in service for them?

I'm also of the view that Moby should be applauded for breathing new life in to ferries which would have otherwise gone for scrap.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cvabishop said:

£18 seems a bit pricey.....

Ferry Pubs have always been  `Top Dollar` for everything

On 25/07/2019 at 20:35, cvabishop said:

I'll wait for the paperback I think.

It’s only available in paperback sadly. 

My copy arrived over the weekend. Some lovely photography and artwork throughout. Certainly a must for any Bretagne fans Christmas stocking.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 26/07/2019 at 00:01, hhvferry said:

Very true, whether you like the hull liveries or not Moby have certainly breathed new life in to ferries which were once iconic on the Baltic & North Sea routes.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2019 at 09:23, Andy said:

It’s only available in paperback sadly. 

My copy arrived over the weekend. Some lovely photography and artwork throughout. Certainly a must for any Bretagne fans Christmas stocking.

Yes it is a lovely book, mine arrived on Saturday and I've pretty much read all of it now. Like most Ferry publications titles it is very well illustrated. I'd say it was worth the wait and I'm proud to have it on my bookcase; however I now feel totally compelled to have a trip on her before the end of the year  ;)

• Like 3

Hi all, loving the Bretagne 30 years book but slightly disappointed with the lack of onboard pics from her early days. Does anyone have any pics of the Lido Bar, hair salon, photo shop or the shop when it had stairs from deck 5 to 6. Or perhaps an original deckplan? Starting to think I imagined it all! 

• Like 1