Sign in to follow this  
CyberMatt

St Helen

Has Anna Mur (ana St Helen) departed yet as her last AIS signal was 18th Aug and I would think they would want a smooth crossing not an Autumn blowy one?

Was still there on Sunday.

Has Anna Mur (ana St Helen) departed yet as her last AIS signal was 18th Aug and I would think they would want a smooth crossing not an Autumn blowy one?

Don't see a problem for her trip, plenty of nice little ports to stop if the weather blows up a bit and after all she's not going as far as the little W class coming back from Croatia. Only take two weeks, max.

Anna muir aka St Helen is being moved to end of the pier probably getting ready for departure.that probably means the weather is going into a settled period which would be nice

Edited by eagleeye

Blimey, and I thought Spithead could get a bit dodgy! Poor old Helen seems to cope with it surprisingly well, although that is a lot of water on the car deck...

And I thought the pair of them were enjoying a peaceful retirement in the sunny Med!

Found another one of Caedmon battling the worst the Solent could manage, big prows clanking away:

Edited by Pigeonrat

I love that vid of Caedmon - had it on my you-tube favourites for ages.  She didn’t half clang when a wave hit her.  The waves crashing over the front as he says in the vid.  Not like the Liberation snowflakes who don’t like a bit of seawater coming through the roof...

”This is what we like, a bit of this” says the bloke filming... Too right, great fun in windy weather was our Caedmon, I have been on her in a force 9 back in the 90s.....👍👍👍👍👍👍😁

Talking of Force 9. Not sure which C Class this is, but remember when I mentioned Caedmon above, it was raining as well and the wind was buffeting the door shut from the outside we were heading into the gale.  Remember the fun of being outside though when there was a bit of rolling going on.  Memories...

I remember the night of the 27th December 1979 - I got off at Broad St and then when she sailed again the prow was knocked off - now that WAS a rough trip!!  Getting across on the 0900 took 1 and three quarter hours, and it's the first time I've seen the other 3 ships all queuing up at Wootton Beacon to get into Fishbourne.  The return trip was the scheduled 1400 which left at 1630.  It must have been sometime just after 6 when she lost the prow.  

Are there any photos about of Caedmon arriving prowless.  According to John Faulkner’s book on Fishbourne, the sea had been right through her and she only a more avoided more serious incident because a car was wedged where the prow should have been.  A sleeping baby was in one car.  John goes on to say that the incident passed without much attention from the media, as this was before the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster.  He said had it happened afterwards the media attention would have been huge,  

Always wonder what she looked like approaching Fishbourne looking like that, there are pictures online of her with a welded piece where the prow was as she operated as a single ended vessel until she was repaired.  But none that I know of which show her at the time of the incident.  Surely there were a few cameras around and people took pictures.

Edited by Khaines

Wow, that actually looks like a lot of fun but the amount of water on the car deck there is interesting... I noticed how much smarter the paint is compared to the two which are still with Wightlink but they may have just been refurbished.

The C-Class were a lot of fun in stormy weather. Especially the way they would clatter their way across, always liked standing on the sun decks.

Every time I've been the W-Class, the weather seems to be really good so I haven't yet experienced these in stormy weather, does anyone have any experience?

On 01/11/2018 at 16:59, Khaines said:

Always wonder what she looked like approaching Fishbourne looking like that, there are pictures online of her with a welded piece where the prow was as she operated as a single ended vessel until she was repaired.  But none that I know of which show her at the time of the incident.  Surely there were a few cameras around and people took pictures.

If I remember correctly, it was pouring with rain.  Add to that the fact that it was a very dark night and blowing a proper "hooley" I can't imagine many people standing on a slipway at Fishbourne with their cameras, bearing in mind it was n't generally known anything had happened until the crew went to lower it as they approached.  Whether any were taken the next day once she was back at Portsmouth prior to going to Southampton for temporary repair though, I have no idea

Ahhhh - had no idea it happened at night, explains a few things.  I know about it not being realised until she arrived at Fishbourne, as John Faulkner covers it in his book, but cannot remember about it being at night.  Thanks for that info.

1 hour ago, Techsnap said:

Something which I've been meaning to ask for a while. Can the Mezz Decks be lowered as a whole so to speak on the Saints?

No I don't think so, as far as I can tell from when I have been on the mezz decks they are hinged in the centre - you lower one side to allow cars on, and then lower the other side to allow them off. They are able to be raised at the centre and stowed, but I have never once seen them at floor level in 30 years of travelling on them. I will have a look next time, or someone else may be able to correct me. Certainly they seem to be slower and less powerful than they were in the 1990s, although that probably had as much to do with fat and heavy modern cars as it does to mechanical fatigue.

The C-class were the opposite in that the decks were stowed on the floor (deck) when not in use, and were driven over like a giant speed hump. The decks were in two pieces like the Saints, but the whole deck was raised and lowered rather than just one end. I seem to remember they were lowered seperately (presumably the hydraulics could not do both at the same time, or not at that point in their lives at least), so cars could not be parked across the gap like they can on the Saints. If you were on the half not being raised or lowered there was a sheer drop, but with the typical C-class quaint charm you were protected from this with a nice little rope and poles which plugged into sockets in the mezz deck... 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I suspected as much though I wasn't sure as I've never looked at them in detail, I've never driven onto the Saints so never get as far as seeing the Mezz decks as a foot passenger, always go via Lymington when we drive over. I was just wondering as, as you say they do go completely up when stowed.

Yes, it always amazed me how the mezz decks in the C's managed to stay in good shape throughout the years when you think of the weight that they must have had on them being at floor level when not in use. The way it works on the W-Class is quite interesting too how they've designed it go into the lounge, every time I've been on these and it hasn't been in use, it has been raised though unlike the C's. The strange ramp thing on the W's is, I suppose kind of like a small version of the mezz on the Saints.

I understand (though not confirmed officially) that those on the Caedmon were in worse shape owing to the greater number of lorries driving over them in the first ten years when she operated from Portsmouth

6 minutes ago, martijon said:

I understand (though not confirmed officially) that those on the Caedmon were in worse shape owing to the greater number of lorries driving over them in the first ten years when she operated from Portsmouth 

She didn't have them as built though so it wouldn't have been a full decade's worth of use, although it's plausible.

Fair enough - but still 6 0r 7 years with many more heavy artics which tended to distort them I believe - certainly watching the angles that they went up at some times I can believe it.

Yes, I could imagine Caedmon's being the most battered - as you say, she had a good kicking on the Portsmouth route, all those lorries and coaches! In fact Caedmon was fairly dog-eared all round towards the end, she was in notably worse condition than either Cenwulf or Cenred from what I could see, and her early route was the only difference I can think of. The 'Wulf was in pretty good nick in comparison, with Cenred somewhere in between. Not for nothing did Smedegaarden scrap them in that order I suppose. Unlike her sisters we never saw a gruesome video of 'Wulf being ripped to bits and I harboured a brief hope she survived somewhere, but I'm sure it wasn't to be. She' D have made a nice houseboat!

In contrast, the four original Saints have (or had in the case of the first two) always seemed roughly equal in terms of condition, although oddly St Faith always seemed slightly rustier despite being the newest - perhaps she always went for overhaul first, and by the end of the season looked the most battered. I wonder which has given Sealink/Wightlink the best value for money though? Got to be between Caedmon and St Cecilia, they must have had the highest mileages on the Solent (and Cecilia is still clocking them up...)

Edited by Pigeonrat