Sign in to follow this  
CyberMatt

St Helen

As she retired last week, I thought I'd share these two pics of St Helen I just found in the garage. Must have taken them while out on the Solent mid-80's.

• Like 1

Surely the sale has been done as otherwise why retire her and pay fees at Hythe when she could have remained on the hulk for free? I thought the paint job is done this side?

Think you'll find the new owners will be paying for the berth at Hythe, as soon as the Catherine was sold the Italians took over the berthing fees. And if it was on the hulk the repaint and any other work would be a pain to do, alongside access is far better for contractors etc, all would need to be taken out by launch, plus I expect Wightlink wouldn't want one of their old ferries on the hulk with a new paint job and new owners name all over it.

The hulk part was not for paint job but to berth her until sold. Once in Southampton I think Catherine got painted Delcomar branding. You answered re the fees thanks. I guess the second mezz won't be re-installed?

I have just returned from a few days holiday down in Portsmouth, and was pleased to see St Helen had not yet departed. Here is a picture I managed to grab of her, leaving the harbour for the last time on Friday morning at 8am. 2 long blasts on the horn as she left the harbour entrance! [ATTACH=CONFIG]n247229[/ATTACH]

Edited by iana
text did not make it

Indeed it will be good to see her back up to scratch and working again.

Here's a picture I grabbed whilst on the way back last week (Whitchampion on the left also tied up). As they were running behind due to fog we had a nice little float around just off the hulk giving the perfect opportunity for some pictures!

Managed to get a good look at St Helen whilst on the Gosport ferry, Portsmouth Queen, luckily she took the "long way round" - between the pontoons & the Catamaran terminal and then across the harbour. She looked in a tatty condition, especially on the port side, plenty of rust showing through the white paint. Quite sad to see.

Having spent a few days observing what was happening, it is quite noticeable that St Cecilia is the smartest - a very good paint job that belies her years. In contrast the St Faith, the newest of the original St class looked tatty and rusty, especially on the port side and the vents at the back of the funnel.

The Cecilia, Faith and Clare were all being worked pretty hard, whilst White Light did not move once during the 5 days i was down there, am guessing she will only be used at peak time or in case of breakdown?. Looks very different to the others but looks as though her capacity is far less than any of the others. Will be interesting to see what happens long term

Travelled over to I.O.W on Wight Ryder 2 Sat a.m - quite a lively trip!!, travelled back on St Clare on the 18.00 sailing that was approx 15mins down, due to extreme low water, causing us to be diverted to the south of one of the solent forts. St Clare is now looking very smart on decks 4 & 5, just a shame about the vibration & rattling that seems to radiate throughout the whole ship.

St Catherine went to Hythe to be laid up before she was sold. There was no room for her in Portsmouth as the South end of the harbour pier was being used as the running berth whilst the North end was being modified prior to the Wight Ryders arrival.

The Catherine was initially laid up afloat for a few weeks before being moved into the corner to take the ground, most likely because it was cheaper!

She has now been renamed the Anna Mur. Looks like painting has started, as the website address under the bridge windows has lost the "wightlink.co.uk". Just the www. remains for the moment.

Looks good (though I'm not crazy about the name, mind you Gb Conte isn't great either). I'm glad the Saints are getting a second lease of life and heading somewhere other than the Esbjerg "slipway of death", I wonder if they'll end up with all four at some point. I'm guessing the mezz deck hasn't - and won't - be replaced.

Has anyone had a chance to travel on Catherine over in Italy yet? Some pics would be great...

Spotted her at the weekend... looks pretty much ready to go. Does anyonw know when she's off? Will be some delivery voyage for sure!

Could not see her on 21/7 when flew to Jersey.

I assure you she is still in Hythe. Well done for dropping in that you went on holiday!

Only a day, out 0705 and back 2105. Great day out though. I must have been looking in wrong place or she was directly under the plane.

Has Anna Mur (ana St Helen) departed yet as her last AIS signal was 18th Aug and I would think they would want a smooth crossing not an Autumn blowy one?