Sign in to follow this  
spll

My Ferry Link Sold to DFDS

From Travel Weekly

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?c=setreg&region=2&m_id=s~_rn~Ad~A&w_id=30958&news_id=2017032

[h=1]MyFerryLink sold to rival DFDS[/h]

Eurotunnel has said it's 'reluctantly' agreed to sell MyFerryLink to competitor DFDS.

It said it had wanted to sell the business to a workers' cooperative, SCOP SeaFrance, rather than to DFDS.

The Eurotunnel said it made the decision to sell, despite a tribunal ruling which cleared the way for it to continue operating, because it feared the UK's Competition and Markets Authority would continue its campaign despite the ruling, reports Reuters.

Eurotunnel's move into the cross-channel ferry market has been challenged since 2012 when the company bought the former SeaFrance ferries from French rail operator SNCF.

In its statement on Sunday, Eurotunnel said it 'regrets that the SCOP SeaFrance has not had the support it needed to be able to present a takeover proposal'.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Unfortunate but hey ho.

Regarding names, may I suggest: Rodin Seaways and Berlioz Seaways ???

And would this allow DFDS to get rid of Malo Seaways ???

Could have been worse, like being sold to P&O.

They probably won't get rid of Malo. Rodin & Berlioz will probably operate alongside Malo & Calais Seaways.

I would be surprised if they were named anything else other than Rodin Seaways and Berlioz Seaways

The judgement, with one judge dissenting anyway, turned on abstruse points of law and semantics. Morally IMHO the regulators were correct and it was quite wrong for another court to refuse them leave to appeal.

So, a few years after we had two companies competing on Dover - Calais with at least 3 vessels each, we end up with two companies competing on Dover - Calais with at least 3 vessels each... it's like going full circle.

Maybe now DFDS can provide some real competition - price-wise for us last August P&O were a couple of quid more expensive than MFL, but DFDS were considerably more expensive. I like the Rodin & Berlioz, always felt nice and airy, but with just two boats back and forth all day they were never a realistic option for us as in times of disruption* I'd much rather be sailing with a company that has 4 vessels than 2.

*This proved an important point as the 2 hour delays on the approach road to Calais meant that we missed our original sailing, and P&O's higher frequency meant that we were on the next sailing which was just 45 minutes later than our booked one. A wait with MFL we can only presume would have been longer.

It's been very quiet today, so how about time for a totally pointless related fact?

DFDS stands for Det Forenede Dampskibs Selskab and is Danish for The United Steam Ship Company :D

• Like 1

I feel really sad at this news as MFL provide a truly French, relaxed experience on their boats, with French food and style (akin to BF). I feel sure there will be a cost cutting resulting in a reduction of these standards.

I do not understand how DFDS have been allowed to force the competition issue as they run FIVE boats from Dover to France, in addition to alternate routes from England to the continent from the adjacent ferry ports on either side of Dover.

On the takeover of the Maersk lines there was a substantial drop in the travelling experience, which regularly won travel awards.

I have a booking after 2nd July. Hope I'm able get transferred to DFDS instead, but it will be an anxious wait until I'm able to contact them tomorrow.

From what I have read, there is quite a difference in standards between the Rodin/Berlioz and the Calais seaways. DFDS will have quite a miss matched fleet at Dover in terms of the offering to passengers, I would have thought addressing that must be a priority if they are serious about competing with P&O.

I feel really sad at this news as MFL provide a truly French, relaxed experience on their boats, with French food and style (akin to BF). I feel sure there will be a cost cutting resulting in a reduction of these standards.

I do not understand how DFDS have been allowed to force the competition issue as they run FIVE boats from Dover to France, in addition to alternate routes from England to the continent from the adjacent ferry ports on either side of Dover.

On the takeover of the Maersk lines there was a substantial drop in the travelling experience, which regularly won travel awards.

They were relaxed because they never had more than 10 people onboard.

They were relaxed because they never had more than 10 people onboard.

Also in all seriousness Eurotunnel are a competitor to ferry travel, and they are already taking a damaging share of the market. They really should not be allowed to operate ships as well.

Also in all seriousness Eurotunnel are a competitor to ferry travel, and they are already taking a damaging share of the market. They really should not be allowed to operate ships as well.

It sounds like they're keeping hold of Nord Pas-de-Calais and wanting to still operate her (Eurofunnel??); they would have a convincing argument that NPdC is small and is operating as a back up to tunnel. Although conversely with the tunnel's weakness at transporting rolling freight, that could possibly put them at a even more unfair advantage as they'd have the whole Eurotunnel operation now actively seeking to fill NPdC rather than MFL trying to do so as a standalone.

If DFDS were to keep 4x ships on Calais and 3x ships on Dunkerque then they would have very similar, if not more, capacity than P&O and certainly more ships. My easy to make crystal ball predictions:

1) DFDS know there is too much capacity and will move Malo Seaways to another route and return her at the soonest opportunity to Stena Line

2) Fare will increase; the sort of prices that Eurotunnel charge currently will become the norm for the ferries, the tunnel will further increase

3) This fares increase will knock onto BF who will also increase their prices, as will Stena from Harwich

The headline of this thread is slightly misleading. Rodin and Berlioz are being sold via a hire purchase deal to DFDS.

Euro tunnel are intending retaining NPC for hazardous cargo and possibly look to obtain a second freighter which will retain the my ferry link name.

• Like 1

The headline of this thread is slightly misleading. Rodin and Berlioz are being sold via a hire purchase deal to DFDS.

Euro tunnel are intending retaining NPC for hazardous cargo and possibly look to obtain a second freighter which will retain the my ferry link name.

Correct. I believe Eurotunnel can not sell the ships for 5 years therefore they will charter the ships to DFDS first. In the mean time Eurotunnel will try to convince the "tribunal de Commerce de Paris" to lift the ban to sell the ships.

I hope SCOP will somehow become involved in this - in my experience the DFDS ship(s) have never been able to hold a candle to SCOP

EDIT: Seems Eurotunnel thought of this as well (http://www.kentnews.co.uk/business/dfds_gets_binding_offer_for_former_myferrylink_ferries_1_4103429)

“The Eurotunnel Group believes that the constructive manner in which DFDS conducted itself during the recruitment of ex SeaFrance personnel in 2012 gives hope for the best solution possible with regard to preserving employment, without interruption to services.

Edited by LordDevereux

What does anybody think will happen to the Newhaven- Dieppe route now that DFDS have got 4 ships on Calais? I can't see them renewing their agreement at the end of this year

My Ferry Link was not on track to make money and the Dover Calais route has overcapacity. DFDS seem confident that they can cut costs and turn a profit on this route. This can only help their confidence. It really will be interesting to see what they do with their tonnage in the Autumn (I suspect they will be able to fill it over the summer). As for Newhaven Dieppe I think they will stay in as long as any subsidy covers the costs. DFDS react so quickly these days to any route that doesn't turn a profit. I agree with those who are predicting one ship to go but I think DFDS will see how much market share they can take first!

they will have seven ships in Dover: three on the Dunkerque route and four to Calais. I am sure Malo Seaways (ex Stena Nordica) is the first to go. Calais seaways and the Ferrylink-Twins will stay and then we will see. Hard times for P&O.

I came back through Newhaven last night and the car decks were virtually full, around 40 lorries and semi trailers, probably 80 cars/ vans.

Indeed. Newhaven-Dieppe seem to be doing quite well at the moment in the sense of filling up the ships.

I would guess these ferry companies currently need to be a bit careful lest they fall foul of the competition authorities again. There is some suspicion in some quarters that this "ferry-go-round" involving BF, DFDS and Stena is not entirely coincidental. I was surprised to learn that complaints have been made both against the local municipality who run the port and the relevant ferry company, Color Line, at Sandefjord, Norway, that they have arranged things to keep out any competition. Evidently there is much concern generally about this aspect of ferry operations.

MFL/DFDS takeover experience.

I had booked the return channel crossing for our August holiday with MFL in mid May after the recent court judgement.

The MFL site advised getting in contact for crossings after the takeover date. I duly got in touch (as there was no indication from either company on whether or not the two MFL ships would maintain their summer timetable). I was informed the fare would be refunded.

I have re-booked with Eurotunnel to Calais as they are frequent, quick and the same price as P&O and with BF from Le Havre - Portsmouth as it is a convenient route for the West Country .

Had DFDS stated they would maintain the same summer crossings there would be little point in changing. I find this a strange business decision at a time of year with the greatest volume of tourist traffic. It seems to be a reversion to the traditional English model of limited capacity/queues/high prices and poor quality delivering equal competitive benefits as the railways and the energy suppliers.