Sign in to follow this  
Tumnus2010

Your Favourite Boat?

Just thought it would be interesting to find out what people's favourite BF vessel is/was? I've sailed on Barf, Normandie, Bretagne and MSM of the current fleet and would say that Bretagne/Normandie are my faves. Historically always loved the Duc though. Am I alone in my preferences?

I've been on Barfleur, Mont and Normandie, Barf is my favourite, Normandie reminded me of her a lot while we didn't have her, but she would tie with Mont for second place as both are lovely vessels. Mont for her beauty inside and Normandie for her similarity to her sister.

I've been on Barfleur, Mont and Normandie, Barf is my favourite, Normandie reminded me of her a lot while we didn't have her, but she would tie with Mont for second place as both are lovely vessels. Mont for her beauty inside and Normandie for her similarity to her sister.

You have swept the Normandie Express from your conscious memory have you, Brigittte?:cool:

I've been on Quiberon, Duc De Normandie, Bretagne, Armorique, Pont Aven.

Quiberon was always night sailings down in the lower cabins so couldn't really comment other than I slept through a force 8-9 storm oblivious until the morning when we went up from the cabin to see the state and smell from fellow passengers sea sickness, so she must have been comfortable.

I don't really remember my Duc experience only travelled on her once, so couldn't have been memorable, probably a standard smooth crossing.

Bretagne is let down by her deck 5 and somehow without fail I have always been parked in the corner against the bulkhead and took hours to get out. The rest of her was enjoyable.

Pont Aven rolled around a lot leaving her a little uncomfortable, but plenty to do and very good experiences of her restaurant.

Armorique I've had several good journeys on her. Always been comfortable and I have found her to handle conditions well. Despite only self service restaurant I've always had good meals.

I',m torn on favourite between Armorique and Pont Aven. It all depends on what mood I am in with those two. If I want to sit and read a book then Armorique would be my choice, but if I want the full dining experience then Pont Aven.

Over the years I've had the pleasure of Quiberon, Val de Loire, Duc de Normandie, Pont l'Abbe, Normandie, Bretagne, Pont Aven and Armorique.

My experience of Quiberon, both as a passenger and cabin cleaner (student job, 1985), is similar to that in the last post - bit of a roller, plenty of mal de mer!

Armorique is now my regular and favourite - sure, she's not as elegant or classic looking as some of the others, but she's light, airy, relaxed and comfortable for the Plymouth/Roscoff route.

Barfleur because of all of the memories that go with her.

Out of the old fleet gone by the old Armorique and the Duchesse Anne have special memories for me and were ships with plenty of character.

1) Bretagne

2) Mont

3) Val de Loire

4) Duc de Normandie*

*I always had a soft spot for this attractive vessel which was when introduced I think the biggest on the Western Channel, which makes you think.

I can't bring myself to like the Pont despite the fact she is an impressive piece of work.

You have swept the Normandie Express from your conscious memory have you, Brigittte?:cool:

Actually I had, smacked wrist. Ok, then, she can fit in second.😉
  • Like 1

Cap Finistere is my current favourite. Not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I really enjoy sailing to/from Spain on this ship, especially out of season.

Have been on MSM, Normandie, Bretagne, Pont Aven and Armorique recently and Barfleur and NEX a while ago.

I like the cabins on Armorique but not the overall layout, especially with the self service and kids area right next to each other.

We go on MSM most often on the 0815 from Portsmouth, breakfast in the main restaurant is a highlight. Prefer MSM to Normandie (though not been on her much).

Out of all the self services, I thought the food on Pont Aven was good, especially breakfast in the morning before arrival into St Malo.

I had a very nice sailing in Easter, 10:15 from St Malo on Bretagne. Sitting outside in the warm sun with a drink passing Jersey was great.

So overall MSM is my favourite, followed by PA, Bretagne, Normandie, Armorique.

Can't really comment much on Barfleur or NEX. Have been on them both a few years back and liked Barfleur but strongly disliked NEX.

Have not been on Cap Finistere or Baie de Seine but would like to. Would not like to go on Etretat.

Edited by sness

Have been on Bretagne, Pont Aven, Normandie, MSM and Barfleur.

Without a shadow of a doubt my favourite is Bretagne followed by Pont Aven

This may change later this year as I am to sail on Armorique for the first time

Been on all the current fleet except Cap Finistere and the two 'economie' vessels, plus lots of past experiences aboard Reine Mathilde, Duchesse Anne, Duc de Normandie, Val de Loire and Quiberon. Have always had a soft spot for Bretagne though, despite having found myself on deck 5 fairly regularly (I was actually the last vehicle off, last time we sailed on her). I do, however, also quite like Armorique (flying in the face of convention here!). My least favourite has to be Normandie Express - she's been the means to an end when we've used her, but I would sooner spend six or more hours on a conventional ferry where there are plenty of ways to pass the time, than three-and-a-half on her.

Bretagne really has to sit on top of the pile. There's something old world cruise liner about her. To set the cat amongst the pigeons the Baie de Seine comes in second reason being her cabins are very comfortable and the excellent value "les routiers" style restaurant with its quaint layout. Only travelled on the PA once and after a few hours in the restaurant was feeling a bit tipsy so I don't remember much about her!

Still can't quite feel the love for Barfy however despite her probably being the vessel I've travelled most on though with her being a "classic" ferry I feel I somehow ought to! Perhaps it's because she is in reality more of an economie vessel than the Baie de Seine is? I'll have to see how I feel on tomorrow mornings crossing.

The cabins on the Tat are quite acceptable....

Barfleur and Armorique are my favourites. Barfleur as she is my local ferry and my best crossings were on Armorique, although Pont Aven isn't far behind.

For me, its between Armorique, Pont-Aven and Bretagne really. I think Bretagne wins on the basis she has more character, and represents 'quintessential BF'.

I wish i could have sailed onboard the Val.

I wish that Bf never chartered the Pont Labbe.

I hope to sail onboard MSM one day.

out of the modern fleet 1.Bretagne 2.Pont-Aven 3.Normandie are my favourites

but by along long long way I miss my Quiberon ever so much , also Val de Loire and the Duc de Normandie, just wish armorique wasn't such a modern open design :(

I've been on Bretagne, Normandie and MSM. I guess Bretagne is my favourite, partly because I've sailed on her more often and know the layout so well.

However, this could all change, as next week I am sailing on the Pont Aven to Santander for the first time, returning on the Cap Finistere. Really looking forward to seeing what these two ships are like, especially having read so much about them on here.

Would like to try the Baie de Seine sometime, after reading that the cabins are more spacious than on other ships. Etretat doesn't sound very appealing, but I guess might be OK for a short trip. The Normandie Express doesn't appeal because of the lack of cabins - would much rather have a longer journey with a cabin on a conventional ferry.

Which sailing are you on Shefford, we are sailing from Plymouth on Sunday. If any one is on the sailing we will be on bikes with full panniers.

Out of the current fleet, it's a tie between MSM and Cap Finistere. St Malo is my favourite French route, and the 2-nighter to Bilbao for Spain.

From days gone by, the Duc De Normandie is an old favourite for memories, as was the Val De Loire.

We sailed on the Bretagne last Thursday and it was good to see the old lady looking good, the meal was to the usual high standard, definately one of our favourites. On monday we will be sailing home from Santander on our other favourite,the Pont. on her the commadore class is pure bliss.

Having sailed on a sizeable portion of the fleet (PA, Bretagne, Barfleur, NEx, MSM, Normandie) i'd have to say my favourite, as an overall experience was Bretagne (my first cruise ferry experience with BF); I did spend the best part of a week on the Pont Aven, but she doesn't quite have the "feel" that Bretagne has. Barfleur is a charming boat too, and I can see why she has her fans, and the NEx, whilst not charming or particularly well equipped is the vessel I travel on the most and wins hands down for convenience and speed.

If I had to choose one, travelling alone i'd go NEx, with the wife Bretagne, with kids Pont Aven (or any boat my son hasn't been on yet, as he's wanting to tick a few more off his list!)

• Like 1