Sign in to follow this  
Tumnus2010

Your Favourite Boat?

Pont Aven!

However looking through the BF book, the Goering or something similar to the name looked very nice indeed!

​After a quick check it was the Goelo, slightly awkward confusing it with Goering - history revision going to my head!

I have rose -tinted memories of the original Armorique and the Finnish Goelo. A friend of mine worked on the Duc, I had some good crossings, but thought the Duc. was a bit noisy. A deluxe cabin on a calm day with a good meal in Le Flora and the Pont Aven is the ship to beat. A pokey inside cabin with too thin mattresses, a rough sea and the self service pretty shabby. I like the MSM on a day crossing, whatever the weather.....

I have rose -tinted memories of the original Armorique and the Finnish Goelo. A friend of mine worked on the Duc, I had some good crossings, but thought the Duc. was a bit noisy. A deluxe cabin on a calm day with a good meal in Le Flora and the Pont Aven is the ship to beat. A pokey inside cabin with too thin mattresses, a rough sea and the self service pretty shabby. I like the MSM on a day crossing, whatever the weather.....

I had a great nights sleep in the 2 berth inside cabin on the Pont Aven quiet decent size also had a nice self service meal, I do like the Pont and her spacious feel different places to eat,sit and drink , only been on her and Armorique of the current fleet that will change in July will get back to you then.

My top four out of all the fleet are: - 1 Quiberon,( 1st vessel we ever sailed to France on ) 2 : -Bretagne, very, very close with the Quiberon. 3 : - M.S.M :-4 Normandie.

1 Barfleur

2 Bretange

3 DDN/VDL

4 Normandie

5 Mont st Michael/Pont Aven

6 Amorique

7 Duchess Ann was quite young had a funny smell as I remember

8 Quiberon

9 Le Funnel! PLA

10 Corbiere

11 Goleo (was a baby can't remember)

12 Amorique 1 (again very young I have a vived memory sat with my grandfather near a tobacco advert) funny the things you remember

1 Barfleur

2 Bretange

3 DDN/VDL

4 Normandie

5 Mont st Michael/Pont Aven

6 Amorique

7 Duchess Ann was quite young had a funny smell as I remember

8 Quiberon

9 Le Funnel! PLA

10 Corbiere

11 Goleo (was a baby can't remember)

12 Amorique 1 (again very young I have a vived memory sat with my grandfather near a tobacco advert) funny the things you remember

You have forgotten to add Tregestral and the Duc to your list!

Ha the Duc it is no 3 and never went on the Tregestal. I was very fortunate when I was younger to be taken on such iconic boats and now I have ended up having a carrier at sea however not on ferries

Ha the Duc it is no 3 and never went on the Tregestal. I was very fortunate when I was younger to be taken on such iconic boats and now I have ended up having a carrier at sea however not on ferries

I am sorry for not being attentive!

I only travelled on the Tregestal once.

All I can remember is that the bar wasn't very spacious.It must have been 1990 or 1991.

Interesting how someone's age affects what you expect of a boat and also how suited some boats are for certain routes even certain routes at different times of the day.

Just on another wee side note it would also be interesting to see what peoples expectations are of the new build when it eventually comes.

Just on another wee side note it would also be interesting to see what peoples expectations are of the new build when it eventually comes.

A very good question! I would expect a bigger Pont-Aven with the flexibilty of Armorique if possible.

The public spaces of the Pont, the cabins and aft sundeck from the Arm and the sea-keeping of the Cap or Bretagne. Quite simple really.

• Like 1

Would it be too much to expect the lowest class of cabin on it to be the same standard as a club cabin on the Armorique? (With or without window)

Ive been on the Val de Loire, MSM, Normandie, Armorique, Pont Aven and the Bretagne. Without a doubt the Bretagne is my favourite as it has such fantastic character and I love the St.Malo route. This is followed by the Val de Loire/MSM being second.

The Cap is my current favorite for it's nice and chilled atmosphere on-board and it's sea-keeping is second to none.

This would be followed by the MSM and the PA.

Out of the current fleet, has to be Barfleur although i've not yet sampled Cap Finistere or Etretat. I liked Quiberon a lot, sailed to Santander on her in her second season & also have sailed on a few other former BF vessels: Duc de Normandie, Val de Loire, Pont l'abbe, Duchesse Anne, Tregastel, first Armorique, Corbiere, Penn ar bed

Must admit I did like the MSM especially the aft sun deck , enjoyed winning the quiz more though I won a compass which seemed to work well 😉

Bretagne by far - classic design, nice layout and good seakeeping qualities (in my experience anyway!) - Barfleur second as she is our 'local' ship (I live in Poole!). Can't get on with the layout of Armorique - the public areas just felt too much like a ferry! I know that's a weird comment but feel a second restaurant option for more upmarket dining, as well as a quieter more restful bar would not go amiss for the longer crossings! Just my opinion. I do also rate MSM highly for her décor and facilities. Finally, I recently travelled on Normandie for the first time and again was very impressed, just a shame the fitting of the exhaust scrubbers have spoiled her overall appearance!

From an interior ambience point of view Armorique isn't so bad on day crossings being light and bright, but come the evening and that same decor seems very gloomy & cold feeling. Also, the bar is completely lacking in atmosphere. I really like the Pont for her main restaurant, bar and the opportunity to have a good leg stretch and blast of fresh air walking right around the outside on 6, whatever the weather.

Pont Aven no question. She's in a different league from the rest, but that's because of the service she was built for. But MSM is perfect for Caen.

Pont Aven no question. She's in a different league from the rest, but that's because of the service she was built for. But MSM is perfect for Caen.

The Pont definitely has a much greater feeling of space about her than the other ships that I have been on having said that I had a great sailing on MSM to Caen would I want to go to Spain on her? Probably not.