Sign in to follow this  
brodev

TIMETABLES: Winter & 2016 Schedule Released

Think a few of us think the Leader/Nova Star would be an ideal BF ship, trouble is that because of her deadweight issues, probably unlikely. Otherwise she is a lovely ship and would probably be ideally suited to a BF route. Poole-Cherbourg is not the loss making route it was once considered as, think things have improved!!

Poole-Cherbourg is, from what I can gather, doing really well. I know lots of people who have sailed to/from Poole this summer, and from pictures I've seen (and Khaines' reports of the rear decks), Barfleur seems to be very busy.

The route seemed slightly less busy than last year, a number of days last year I had to return via Caen as there was no space at all Poole-Cherbourg, That's not happened this year . As I travel weekly I keep an eye on the booking engine. That's not to say it's not doing well! A full Barfy is not always the most comfortable ship to be on.

I quite like the idea of Leader/Nova Star coming to BF. We could do with some more modern tonnage on the Poole-Cherbourg route.

Edited by d2frs

I was going to book Barfleur for the 14th but she is so busy couldn't get on till the 25th. Managed to get the Liberation for an earlier ferry trip and am on her on the 21st, looking forward to both!

Fair enough about Poole-Cherbourg. Still doesn't answer my question re. Plymouth to Roscoff

I agree, I can't understand it. It's not even like they've reinstated any for February half term.

A full Barfy is not always the most comfortable ship to be on
i don't mind her stuffed with adults - but it is loads of kids that I find difficult, so I always have a hiatus in the school hols. I have been on her when she is really busy before and there are little hidey spots you can find on her away from the hurly burly - outside though, so in bad weather, not really a good idea!

I think part of it is that the Armorique has become the cover vessel for all of the routes, so when other ships are away from the busy routes she has to cover. BF know that no one else is going to jump in on the Plymouth route but some of the others might be open to competition, disappointing when you live down this end but it's reality.

i don't mind her stuffed with adults - but it is loads of kids that I find difficult, so I always have a hiatus in the school hols. I have been on her when she is really busy before and there are little hidey spots you can find on her away from the hurly burly - outside though, so in bad weather, not really a good idea!

Badly-behaved school parties are the bane of every long-distance trip, in my humble opinion. I recall an overnight sailing between Roscoff and Plymouth in June 2013 aboard Armorique when they were so loud and rowdy that the PA system ordered them, within an hour of embarkation, to return to their cabins and reclining seats and stay there until arrival in Plymouth. Badly-behaved kids, especially in large numbers, can ruin what should be a quiet, relaxing, orderly affair especially on overnight sailings when what the vast majority of passengers want is to rest before arriving in Roscoff and perhaps travelling or several hours to reach their final destination.

It is difficult to say you find kids difficult without upsetting those who have kids. I don't mind kids who are well behaved, but large parties of them can be very irritating. They are just enjoying themselves at the end of the day, I know but so difficult if one is sensitive to the squealing. Remember on NEX, there was a baby crying practically the whole trip, this was at the back so my first idea was to go down the front. Two more tantrumming toddlers, so went and stood outside at the back. Couldn't concentrate on my crosswords or reading with the assault on the old ears!! I think I was likecit as a kid myself, never liked screaming kids, although I bet I did my own fair share of it, remember the hand round the back of my head!!!

I wear two hearing aids which are optimised for the sound of the human voice, screaming babies actually hurt! But I can turn them off. (just the aids unfortunately). I read once that baby screams and tantrums are genetically tuned to attract attention and can well believe it. If you think a ferry is bad then the cabin of an aircraft should fill you with dread - babies should be checked in as hold baggage! :rolleyes:

With older kids the problem is not so much the kids as the parents and teachers in charge who don't keep them under control.

It is difficult to say you find kids difficult without upsetting those who have kids. I don't mind kids who are well behaved, but large parties of them can be very irritating. They are just enjoying themselves at the end of the day, I know but so difficult if one is sensitive to the squealing. Remember on NEX, there was a baby crying practically the whole trip, this was at the back so my first idea was to go down the front. Two more tantrumming toddlers, so went and stood outside at the back. Couldn't concentrate on my crosswords or reading with the assault on the old ears!! I think I was likecit as a kid myself, never liked screaming kids, although I bet I did my own fair share of it, remember the hand round the back of my head!!!

I don't mind the well-behaved school parties at all and, it has to be said, the French school groups are often better behaved than British ones. But, especially on overnight runs when people still have some way to go after docking, having groups of kids running through the corridors screaming and clogging the lifts by riding them six at a time all night and forcing everyone else to use he stairs, that can be annoying. Particularly after an extended period under canvas when all you want is to endure the crossing and get home.