Sign in to follow this  
Andy

NEWBUILD: Announcement in 2016?

As mentioned on the Pelican thread, Cotentin is classed as a passenger vessel, she would also need to be crewed by BF and offer hotel guest services. It's not what BF are looking for...

DFP, are you saying that after all the money DFDS have invested in Malo Seaways, Stena are taking her back to put her on a route which demands a higher freight load than she can carry?

Stena replaced her on the Dublin run with the purchase of SFX because she wasn't big enough in lane metres...

I truly can't see Cotentin returning. BF chartered her out for a Visentini, a ship with a freight capacity 25% less.

(sorry I pressed 'quote' for our Danish friend although my fingers clearly don't work!)

No thats not what I mean. Stena have said that Pax demand has increased on the route, therefore meaning Stena Baltica would be no longer viable, and Malo Seaways more viable for that route. I think Stena replaced Malo on the dublin run for your reasons, but the what can be not profitable in one place can be profitable in another. Just a theory on why the charter for MN Pelican is so out of the ordinary for BF. I would have thought they would want to have a BF crewed ship rather than a MN crewed ship, you know the unions and all. Didn't they have an issue with Normandie Express when she had a non BF crew at the start?

Also on another note, do BF really need a brand new ship to replace Bretagne or Normandie? Nomandie has just had scrubbers fitted and I doubt BF would want to sell her on after that amount of investment. Also if you think of Pearl Seaways and Crown Seaways they are just as old if not older than Brentage and they have had scrubbers fitted and a massive interior investment, why can't BF follow this with Bretagne? Costs less money in some aspects.

Edited by Danish Ferry Person
Added a bit on new builds :)

The reasons why Bretagne has not been fitted with scrubbers have been rehearsed many times in the pages of this forum. It would surely have happened if it was technically possible, but it isn't for reasons that do not need going over again.

The speculation about Malo Seaways taking over from Cotentin on the Karlskrona route is very interesting. However, I looked at the timetables for the route on the Stena Freight website, and these are showing Stena Baltica timetabled on the route all the way through to the end of the year. Doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing in the speculation, after all she can always be replaced, but no sign of it yet in the published information.

Edited by Gareth

No thats not what I mean. Stena have said that Pax demand has increased on the route, therefore meaning Stena Baltica would be no longer viable, and Malo Seaways more viable for that route. I think Stena replaced Malo on the dublin run for your reasons, but the what can be not profitable in one place can be profitable in another. Just a theory on why the charter for MN Pelican is so out of the ordinary for BF. I would have thought they would want to have a BF crewed ship rather than a MN crewed ship, you know the unions and all. Didn't they have an issue with Normandie Express when she had a non BF crew at the start?

Also on another note, do BF really need a brand new ship to replace Bretagne or Normandie? Nomandie has just had scrubbers fitted and I doubt BF would want to sell her on after that amount of investment. Also if you think of Pearl Seaways and Crown Seaways they are just as old if not older than Brentage and they have had scrubbers fitted and a massive interior investment, why can't BF follow this with Bretagne? Costs less money in some aspects.

I can't see Normandie going anywhere until she sails off into the Gujarat sunshine...

Pearl was rebuilt initially as cruise ship, when still very young and then again reconfigured into a Ro Pax before she was a teenager. The 2005 'rebuild' was more refit and make good... As for Crown, she's only just turned 21 and was only 10 years old when rebuilt.

The point is DFP, both had age and cost effectiveness on their side. Bretagne has neither.

Bretagne wont be replaced with a new build, it will be the Pont or if desperate one of the usual suspects with between 5/10 years on her while the Spanish new build progresses.

As for Stena's requirements in the Baltic? Don't be too surprised if you see a certain southern based Superfast heading that way shortly... It is gathering pace up there, Viking want to sell Rosella and Tallinks reinstatement of Silja Europa was a bit of a shock.

Edited by jonno

Jean Marc Roue, the President of Brittany Ferries, has said in the le Telegramme this weekend that they are currently not looking to purchase another vessel. Though, I'm sure if the right ship came up this could easily change...! Translation below.

"Yesterday, Jean-Marc Roue told The Telegram that Brittany Ferries not currently planning to buy a new ship, despite the age of the M / V BRITAIN, M / V Normandy and M / V BARFLEUR.

With the installation of scrubbers on almost all ships of the fleet, and there is no urgency to acquire a new ship for Brittany Ferries.

In addition, he said that Brittany Ferries has found what it was looking for with the chartering of the M / V MN PELICAN.

However, Pegasis could be built if the LNG technology became cheaper."

As for Stena's requirements in the Baltic? Don't be too surprised if you see a certain southern based Superfast heading that way shortly... It is gathering pace up there, Viking want to sell Rosella and Tallinks reinstatement of Silja Europa was a bit of a shock.

I didn't realise the Silja Europa was returning to service - thanks for the update. Do we assume she will be withdrawn again once the newbuild enters service?

Jean Marc Roue, the President of Brittany Ferries, has said in the le Telegramme this weekend that they are currently not looking to purchase another vessel. Though, I'm sure if the right ship came up this could easily change...! Translation below.

"Yesterday, Jean-Marc Roue told The Telegram that Brittany Ferries not currently planning to buy a new ship, despite the age of the M / V BRITAIN, M / V Normandy and M / V BARFLEUR.

With the installation of scrubbers on almost all ships of the fleet, and there is no urgency to acquire a new ship for Brittany Ferries.

In addition, he said that Brittany Ferries has found what it was looking for with the chartering of the M / V MN PELICAN.

However, Pegasis could be built if the LNG technology became cheaper."

I remember someone saying that BF looked at the SNCM ships. The differences between those and the Pelican are quite significant!

LNG becomes cheaper? Any new technology is always becoming cheaper it's interesting though that other ferry companies have LNG ships now so they must think it's an economical option.

LNG becomes cheaper? Any new technology is always becoming cheaper it's interesting though that other ferry companies have LNG ships now so they must think it's an economical option.

Neil, I think It's more to do with supply logistics, there's a greater supply of LNG bunkering and storage in Scandinavia due to the heavy need to supply rural communities. The fuel itself is cheap, the heavy investment is required in availability...

I Lived in Pembrokeshire until March 2015, the LNG capitol of Britain, many of the houses have LNG tanks although there are just two suppliers.Likewise newer caravans and motorhomes have underslung LNG tanks so you would think that a popular holiday destination like Pemb's would offer the fuel at service stations, right...? Wrong, to fill your tank you must travel to Carmarthen, 30 miles way.

Supply of LNG in Pembrokshire? I live in Fishguard and have 2 suppliers in town. If I am on my way to Carmarthen there is one in Llanddewi Velfrey and another Garage just out side Carmarthen itself. Another on the top of the hill coming out of Carmarthen - not quite struggling for supplies.

Rhys

Supply of LNG in Pembrokshire? I live in Fishguard and have 2 suppliers in town. If I am on my way to Carmarthen there is one in Llanddewi Velfrey and another Garage just out side Carmarthen itself. Another on the top of the hill coming out of Carmarthen - not quite struggling for supplies.

Rhys

Rhys. That's a grand total of five service stations out of around 50 west of the M4, I think that's poor considering there is a pipeline from the Haven to Gloucestershire. There's no garage in Pembroke, Haverfordwest, the Dock, Neyland or even Milford who supply LNG on a pump... As for household, I think there's just Flogas at Withybush.

It will be interesting to see if where they fuel in the future if the Spanish ports get LNG first would that sway BFs decision on a new build ?

Bilbao has a facility, you pass it on the right when heading into Zierbena, Gijon has one too. The French are also investing heavily in LNG infrastructure, it's the fuel they plan to use secondary to nuclear. Rumour is that a facility is to be built at Cherbourg to the west of the ferry terminal.

In January 2014 the EU's TEN-T program paid 1m euros to part fund a study to build bunkerage at Roscoff & Santander. The study findings are due in the last quarter of this year.

The yard at St Naz' is also beginnning to construct LNG bunker vessels.

I think this is what BF are waiting for, there would have been no point in building a gas powered ship for 2017 if they'd still need to wait two years to fuel it.

LA NAVAL shipyard is building 2 new ferries for Spanish Balearia.

225 x 30 while Cap is 206 x 26 (or similar)

While be running 2 dual engines able to work on LNG and Diesel.

Is not frech STX either not Korean one

LA NAVAL shipyard is building 2 new ferries for Spanish Balearia.

225 x 30 while Cap is 206 x 26 (or similar)

While be running 2 dual engines able to work on LNG and Diesel.

Is not frech STX either not Korean one

A little more on bokeron's news, well spotted sir!. I think the combined price for both is good value...

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archive...-from-lanaval/

A little more on bokeron's news, well spotted sir!. I think the combined price for both is good value...

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archive...-from-lanaval/

i have to say that updated photo (my photo) is not correct.

On the photo is shows mv Texelstorm ferry designed for dutch owner TESO

on youtube there is a 5 minutes report showing ships launch from drydock

La naval shipyard its well know here at Bilbao (my grandfatehr was welder and working there for almost all his life) as they constructed biggest dragger all over the world on 2009 mv 'Leiv Eiriksson' for belgium owner Jan de Bul.

5 of this type of vessels were developed there since 2007

Related to Balearia ferries it says contract was signed to develop 2 vessels for 350 million

Chatting on a ship the other day (not naming in case the crew members are victimised) crew are expecting an announcement of a new ship. The hold up is the banks who are not up for lending any money. You can sort of see their point in a few months Britain could be free, independant again, on it's own, with a worthless currency and a population being ground into the floor by a bunch of Bullingdon boys. Hardly the place anyone will want to run a ferry to.

Treating the crew worse and worse year on year is not making the management any friends or creating goodwill either. The crew were quite open in the past they loved their jobs and that reflected in their general attitude while at work. If they are not treated well by their bosses that, trickles down to the customers.

Thinking back there was time when Club Voyage (POTC) members were treated as part of the family, now it feels more and more like being just another profit point

Rhys

Currency worthless, why? Bit of an odd statement. Why would no one run a ferry here. Brits want to go abroad and people seem to love Britain for shopping. Its not like we are going from the Euro back to the pound, we have never changed,

French government funding may be available now, but only for ships built in France, and there is no capacity at STX St Nazaire till about 2021.... Seems that STX are looking at partnerships with other European yards, and this might allow a typical French fudge?

French government funding may be available now, but only for ships built in France, and there is no capacity at STX St Nazaire till about 2021.... Seems that STX are looking at partnerships with other European yards, and this might allow a typical French fudge?

Was wondering if they could move another build somewhere else and build the BF ships in France do STX not own yards elsewhere Poland? Finland?

After which....CF becomes the oldest member of the fleet(?). Hardly surprising BF does not see stocking up on Superfasts as being the way forward.

How long was tat's charter again? 2 years rings a bell (but might be a number I've picked from nowhere, in fact thinking about it now we've already reached 2 years haven't we?🙄🤔). I'm sure they must be thinking about getting a replacement for her sooner or later as well (probably not a new build though).

Edited by sness