NEWBUILD: Announcement in 2016?

Bretagne cannot be converted to use scrubbers so she is expensive to run. Not sure about Normandie, as said above, BF have spent a lot of money converting her. Maybe as also said above she may be sold in favour of a smaller fleetmate for the Mont which would suggest that one newbuild will indeed be a development of the versatile Armorique.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think the Bretagne replacement won't be too far away from the Pegasis concept drawings nothing too flash or fancy and too hazard a guess about Normandies you would have too expect a ship capable of a quick turnaround easy to off load and quick to clean with minimal staff on board so an Armorique style ship adapted to suit Caen.

I would think the Bretagne replacement won't be too far away from the Pegasis concept drawings nothing too flash or fancy and too hazard a guess about Normandies you would have too expect a ship capable of a quick turnaround easy to off load and quick to clean with minimal staff on board so an Armorique style ship adapted to suit Caen.

Pegasis was a Pont Aven replacement though?

From what's been reported on this website I'd have thought Barfleur was a candidate for replacement as well, e.g. duff generators. Maybe Normandie would be a replacement. I doubt if BF would abandon the route for fear of competition -- who could exploit it with greater determination than BF have shown.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, is there a time by which we're likely to be aware of a proposed order this year? End of financial year etc? Just wondering if there was a certain time in the past where BF have tended to make these announcements?

Because the passenger numbers for Caen mean the Normandie is unsuitable, whereas Barfleur is for the route she does. Likewise, Bretagne is too small as well as the fact she covers a much longer route so the requirement for better/more modern overnight accommodation is greater. Barfleur suits her route well in terms of capacity, sailing duration and sailing times so there is less of a need/push factor to replace her in the same timeframe.

He's right, I'd love to know where Normandie is supposed to fit the wikipedia stated 2123 passengers, remember passengers must book either a cabin or reserved seat on an overnight crossing, she's allowed to carry 876 passengers. 768 beds & 108 seats.

MSM's figures are just a little higher at 934.

For those who feel PA would be overkill on the St Malo route, I think it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of Bretagne's 1122 berths are booked months in advance.

• Like 1

As much as I hate to admit it, the PA will be very well suited for the St Malo route long term. I just hope PA's replacement for Spain isn't like Armorique.

The PA replacement needs:

- bigger shop

- bigger restaurant

- more commodore

- bigger swimming pool (the one aboard PA is incredibly underwhelming for what it is hyped up to be)

- bigger standard cabins (length, not width)

- the massive circular window that was on the original PA plans

From what's been reported on this website I'd have thought Barfleur was a candidate for replacement as well, e.g. duff generators. Maybe Normandie would be a replacement. I doubt if BF would abandon the route for fear of competition -- who could exploit it with greater determination than BF have shown.
Duff generators - rewording necessary!! She has been one of the most reliable vessels going and she has very rarely given cause for concern, she just plods along. I would say she had had a period of a recurring issue that is in the process of being resolved..😉
Duff generators - rewording necessary!! She has been one of the most reliable vessels going and she has very rarely given cause for concern, she just plods along. I would say she had had a period of a recurring issue that is in the process of being resolved..😉

Will be interested to learn just exactly how when the job's done. I wouldn't have thought uprating the generating capacity was that easy -- like an engine change possibly.

I can't see why they would replace Barfluer with a ship of similar age that is more expensive to run once Barfluer gets her generator situation sorted she should provide a decent service on the short Poole route.

He's right, I'd love to know where Normandie is supposed to fit the wikipedia stated 2123 passengers, remember passengers must book either a cabin or reserved seat on an overnight crossing, she's allowed to carry 876 passengers. 768 beds & 108 seats.

MSM's figures are just a little higher at 934.

They have day capacities and overnight capacities - but there are a lot more than 108 reclining seats on both ships, I get 420 for MSM and 416 for Normandie giving overnight capacities of 1,212 and 1,190 respectively. I doubt they ever really approach the theoretical capacities for either day or night as some upper berths are always out of use etc. It's interesting though that they didn't see any need to increase overall capacity or change the seats/berths ratios between the two ships.

I managed to find the article on Ouest-France now. The article says that Bretagne will be replaced first but it doesn't confirm wether it would be by a newbuild or PA following a flagship newbuild. So both options are possible. It is interesting to see that STX St-Nazaire will act as project managers for the first two newbuilds. We might see two fairly close variants of pegasis entering the fleet with notable differences on length, cabin numbers and freight capacity depending on the destination. Normandie replacement could be a shorter hollowed version of pegasis.

Just what proportion of passengers in this day and age find reclining seats to be an acceptable means of overnight accommodation?

Probably the same proportion of travellers who find a cabin is a luxury they can't afford.

• Like 1

BF's main target market for passengers as opposed to freight is people with cars who are either families, older couples on a short break or people with holiday homes in France. These people don't want reclining seats or pods - they want cabins. Bretagne's are now seen as being too small, Pont Aven is better and I have heard that Armorique's are pretty food.

On the first occasion we travelled BF over 25 years ago with two youngsters we did try the reclining seats to save money and I swore we would never repeat the experience as we got of the ship frazzled with a long drive ahead of us which was a potentially dangerous situation to be in.

Cabins should not be treated as a luxury, they are part of the deal and I agree they are often overpriced. They ought to cost a similar sum as if you were staying in a low budget overnight hotel in France as basically that is what you are getting, a pretty basic hotel bed for the night with half the normal space. Reclining seats are worse than dossing down in a hostel somewhere and most people beyond the age of 23 or so would hope to be able to do better than that if they can afford to go on holiday in the first place.

I accept that there are people who don't mind 'roughing it' but they are in something of a minority on what is advertised as being a 'cruise ferry'. If you fancy being a sardine then any airline will happily accommodate you.

Phase 5 of the PHC harbour development plan.

Reconstruction of existing Ro-Ro berths 2 and 3 by

reclamation of circa 5,000m2 of Harbour bed to create

350 linear metres of berthing face, dredged to 9.0mBCD

It would appear that PHC are looking to the future. Could the NEX replacement be heading for Poole and Barfleur becoming a summer service from Portsmouth?

This project was supposed to have started at the beginning of the year but I don't believe it has. I thought it was for cruiseships and freighters rather than ferries. Thus it must doubtful if the 37,000grt Saga Sapphire will be coming in next August. In the longterm any BF new building bigger than Barfleur could access Poole, something which may influence BF's plans -- assuming this PHC project does eventually go ahead.

They have day capacities and overnight capacities - but there are a lot more than 108 reclining seats on both ships, I get 420 for MSM and 416 for Normandie giving overnight capacities of 1,212 and 1,190 respectively. I doubt they ever really approach the theoretical capacities for either day or night as some upper berths are always out of use etc. It's interesting though that they didn't see any need to increase overall capacity or change the seats/berths ratios between the two ships.

Yes, MSM has 419 seats although only 124 are sold for overnight reservations, it's the same for Normandie, 416 for a day sailing, 108 sold for an overnighter. Only the Pont' & Bretagne sell their full allocation.

It's very similar to the Cap', as she now has a full time night configuration, her capacity has halved, your deckplan site illustrates this.