Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

CALAIS

Very interesting news item on BBC South Today about how BF are benefitting hugely from the troubles at Calais. Bookings are way up on last year and many sailings sold out. Lots of great footage of various BF vessels in the report too. The article starts at about 6 mins 30 secs in on 29th July Edition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006pfl4

Edited by robbie

Good article and great news for BF too (regarding passenger numbers, that is). Thanks very much for sharing, robbie, wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

But no great surprise eh?

When HMG are telling travellers to avoid Calais (as if it was one of the dodgy hotspots in the world), then what are people going to do?

It's a problem to which, in truth, nobody knows the answer.

I watched it, one question, maybe stupid and daft, but could other ships be chartered to help out temporarily? BF any other company? At the expense of the government, there are ships sitting idle I expect that could be used? Government pays the charter and the operator to run them. Only while this lasts? As said, maybe a stupid question but thought I'd ask anyway!!

Government pays the charter and the operator to run them. Only while this lasts? As said, maybe a stupid question but thought I'd ask anyway!!

"Government pays" means The Tax Payer pays i.e. me.

Well, Paul, I think that this is something that the Government should spend money on if it is possible/viable. This is a situation that is getting out of hand in my opinion and lots of our own countrymen are affected by it as well as others. Therefore the Government should step in, I think many taxpayers wouldn't mind money helping fellow countrymen out and preventing a situation that is very bad indeed already from escalating further. I wish Government money was diverted into things like this. Alongside sorting out how they said they'd deal with the hugely expensive costs of dealing with frequent Traveller incursions by making it easier to get rid of these unwelcome 'visitors'. I am pretty certain that the taxpayer would be quite happy to see money being spent dealing with these situations as well, they blight many residential areas every summer. Less money could be spent dealing with those if the laws enabled them to kick them out quicker. But going back to sorting out the problems in the Eastern Channel/Tunnel - money most definitely needs throwing at it.

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

... or increase the number of sailings of Barfleur - if she can be staffed OK, and all the people booked on her can be contacted easily with the consequent change of schedule!!

It's what she always used to do and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet in the current situation. (There is scope for the same thing at Newhaven too, I understand the Dieppe crossing has been doing a roaring trade since the problems at Dover and that route could easily be taken up to four crossings a day each way with CDA and 7S). Barfleur could (and should) be on a schedule that either takes her out of Poole at 0800 and 1800, with return crossings from Cherbourg at 1400 and overnight, or alternatively 0800 out of Poole with an overnight return, and with a round trip from Cherbourg to Portsmouth fitted in during the day in between.