Sign in to follow this  
regandeddie

Poole/Cherbourg day trip 3/8/15

Booked this through the member's offer :) as a surprise for my son, as he'd not been on the Barfleur before. Left the IOW the previous evening as we didn't fancy getting up for the 5.30am red funnel sailing (and the lymington ferries don't run late enough for the return) and we spent the night with family near Southampton. Still an early start, mind, as we left the house just after 6.30 and got to Poole in about an hour.

Check-in and boarding was accomplished with the minimum of fuss, and breakfast gratefully consumed; in fact, though I usually avoid a cooked breakfast on BF (as it seems the one thing that in my opinion they consistently fail to get right) I relented on this occasion and enjoyed by far the best one yet (a world apart from the shambles I encountered on the Bretagne once, and the hit-and-miss efforts on the PA) along with some croissant, pain chocolat and a big bowl of fruit salad.

Crossing was smooth, and we were joined about 40 minutes out of Poole by the Coastguard helicopter, which was performing training by winching guys/stretchers to and from the back of the boat whilst underway and hovering about 30 feet above our heads! This was by far the coolest thing I saw all day

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n250261[/ATTACH]

Had lunch on board too, in order to maximise our available time to "mooch" around Cherbourg (and also because a lot of places shut at 2 or don't open Mondays) so I enjoyed a very reasonably priced (£4) Salad Nicoise from "le cafe", my son went for a Menu Enfant with a Croque Monsieur, yoghurt, drink, box of sweets/toys which was great for a fiver, although I think the girl on the till was new as I and the other lady working had to explain to her a couple of times what the kid's choice was, how to charge for it, what it came with, etc. My wife and sister enjoyed a couple of ham baguettes and all was good, lunch-wise.

We were docked, immigrated and shuttle-bussed into town by 2.15, had a wander around the shops that were open whilst trying to avoid the warm drizzle (aka Standard Normandy summer weather) and ended up, as usual at Les Eleis. Scouted out some bargains in H&M's sale (a lot of 70% off reductions, especially in the kids clothes which were starting at 1 or 2 euros) Carrefour had a similar fire-sale on clothing and my son bagged himself a pair of trousers, reduced from 10 euros to 1.98.

Loaded up with wine, chocolate and cheese, we were shuttled back, checked in, and got our shopping in our cabin (8406); had a freshen-up with a pretty good shower, had a nice steak dinner, tiramisu for dessert, cheese and biccies and did a bit more shopping. Wine tasting in the shop ended in the purchase of even more wine, and a couple of hours' sleep was enjoyed by a number of our group in the cabin (along with the requisite phone/tablet charging).

There was also a sunset, modelled here by my son..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n250262[/ATTACH]

Docking, passport control all went quickly, car retrieved from the carpark, and a drive back to Southampton for the 23.55 boat, home by ten past one. Long day. Good fun though :)

• Like 2

It is a great report - great way of spending the day in my opinion, good value for money. I will rebook - wanting to, waiting till after the school hols.

Good report, must say I much preferred les ailies (sp?) shopping centre when you could park outside. Find it a trudge with the trolley to the multi storey car park.

Update:- I received a phone call from Jane at Brittany Ferries, who had read the report and wondered if my son would be interested in some information about their ferries - I said that he would be delighted. Then this turned up this morning...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n250332[/ATTACH]

A lovely hardback book (full of history, pictures, and stats!) a pen and a (handwritten!) card; thank you very much Jane! Also, thanks to BF - outstanding customer service :)

Now, we need to start planning the next trip, i've still got 4 ferries to try yet, and my son still has 6 on his to-do list!

• Like 1

That book is excellent - I have a copy. I also have ferries to try - when I can afford it, haha!!

This is a great report and is really tempting as we're spending a week in Dorset and to kill a day £12 pp is really not bad at all considering a rover ticket on the Swanage Railway is £12.50! Would you recommend it and if so would you recommend taking the car or/and getting a cabin on the return journey?

Update:- I received a phone call from Jane at Brittany Ferries, who had read the report and wondered if my son would be interested in some information about their ferries - I said that he would be delighted. Then this turned up this morning...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n250332[/ATTACH]

A lovely hardback book (full of history, pictures, and stats!) a pen and a (handwritten!) card; thank you very much Jane! Also, thanks to BF - outstanding customer service :)

Now, we need to start planning the next trip, i've still got 4 ferries to try yet, and my son still has 6 on his to-do list!

Great to see a company that really appreciates their customers in such a genuine way - a really nice touch from BF.

This is a great report and is really tempting as we're spending a week in Dorset and to kill a day £12 pp is really not bad at all considering a rover ticket on the Swanage Railway is £12.50! Would you recommend it and if so would you recommend taking the car or/and getting a cabin on the return journey?
it costs almost the same to get from Bournemouth to Boscombe in a taxi and back (one way is around the tenner mark) and a taxi if I need one to Poole is the same, which why taxis in this conurbation are purely emergency only. I can get to France and back for a £23 return when it costs me the best part of £20 to get a few miles and back locally in a cab. Reckon it is good value.

@8410commodore i've never taken a car across, but I always try to get a cabin on the return to store all the shopping in! It cost us £19.50 for the cabin and £7 to park the car, so the price is pretty much the same as taking your car. The added benefit of a cabin is you can grab a couple of hours kip after dinner...

it costs almost the same to get from Bournemouth to Boscombe in a taxi and back (one way is around the tenner mark) and a taxi if I need one to Poole is the same, which why taxis in this conurbation are purely emergency only. I can get to France and back for a £23 return when it costs me the best part of £20 to get a few miles and back locally in a cab. Reckon it is good value.

It's excellent value! A 40min train journey from where I live to London Paddington would cost £20, even with a student railcard and it being off peak!

Very, very tempted! Would you personally recommend taking the car for going around Cherbourg for the fairly long afternoon or is it nice a small to walk around with places to sit etc?

Thanks!

@8410commodore i've never taken a car across, but I always try to get a cabin on the return to store all the shopping in! It cost us £19.50 for the cabin and £7 to park the car, so the price is pretty much the same as taking your car. The added benefit of a cabin is you can grab a couple of hours kip after dinner...

Thanks for the reply and suggestion! It's interesting to note about it being the same price as a car!

I am a footie, but I would recommend taking the car into Cherbourg as it cuts walking time and a long afternoon passes by quite quickly, unless you are taking one of the overnighters back time passes very quick. Taking a car into town would give you more time to play with if you are catching the 18.30 boat back. I find once I have been in Maccy, walked round Carrefour, I have to clock watch ad I walk back to the terminal for a sit upstairs. Not sure where the parking is though, think around Eleis?

We always take a car and go straight from the ferry terminal to Auchan, up the hill at La Glacerie. Plenty of open air parking and, we think, a better store than Carrefour.

We also solved the "problem" of the afternoon being too short by staying overnight on a couple of occasions and returning the following day. Still counts as a day return :)

We also solved the "problem" of the afternoon being too short by staying overnight on a couple of occasions and returning the following day. Still counts as a day return :)
I want to do that one - the other alternative is to go home on one of the overnighters to Poole, get straight off the boat for a morning shopping in Poole before going home. Do my Poole shop at the same time!!

I've booked a trip to Cherbourg for Thursday with my mum and sister, and we're thinking of going to La Cité de la Mer and I seem to remember that in the Voyage magazine they usually have a discount for entry to the place. Is this still the case? And as a foot passenger do you still get the Voyage magazine?

Incredibly excited to explore the Barfleur and Cherbourg!

Voyage magazine copies are available on the ship, if you can't see any, ask the info desk peeps, they will probably find you a copy. Guess the discount is still valid, not 100% certain!!

The 1.50 Euro discount coupon is on page 26 of the current magazine and is valid until 30th Sept 2015. It doesn't specify how many people can use the coupon so you might need one each.