Sign in to follow this  
apinnard

Ex Fastcat Ryde & Shanklin

Just found this on the internet regarding the old Fastcat Ryde and Shanklin. They were used during th Sochi Olympics and then for a while in early 2014 on a service between Russia and Crimea. Th article is old so may be irrelevant but one would imagine they are both probably nearing the end of their lives being aluminium.

http://www.rosmorport.com/news.html?id=3056

They only used them in the summer. They were sent to Sochi in Severnlink colours, even the seat backs still have Severnlink embroidered on them.

Still both sending live signal on AIS, their in Anapa

There can't be long left on their life span. Those MTU's were notoriously awful too.

Similar vintage catamarans are being sent to the beaches. Not in the same league, but HSS Discovery is currently on the beach at Aliaga in Turkey for recycling.

There can't be long left on their life span. Those MTU's were notoriously awful too.

Similar vintage catamarans are being sent to the beaches. Not in the same league, but HSS Discovery is currently on the beach at Aliaga in Turkey for recycling.

Don't know so much, Red Jet 1 and 2 are still working hard and their older. Wightlink did have a lot of problems with the engines over the years but eventually they were sent back to Germany for full rebuilds so when they were sold they were virtually new engines, of course it depends how they have been looked after by the Russians. Lot of Wind Farm boats have MTU's and their quite reliable but their a lot newer models.

I believe the HSS's were sent to the beach more for the fuel costs, being gas turbines than the general condition of them.

Interesting find today

When looking on ship finder I seen that Sochi 1 (ex Fastcat ryde) today s currently in a boat yard!

Does anyone know where this is or what it is ??

Hope she hasn't been sold or even scrapped!!

Thanks

Wightlink1

Edited by wightlink1

HSS Discovery is currently on the beach at Aliaga in Turkey for recycling.

That makes me really sad. I always thought that design-wise the HSS craft were way ahead of any of the standard Incat designs. Several happy Christmas trips to Hamburg via Harwich and Hoek, and I recall them handling the North Sea in winter surprisingly well.

To be honest, I wouldn't be that surprised if they were scrapped in the not too distant future. After all, some of the HSS's are going as said above, and Pat and Pam only made it to 20 - 22 years old each before they went (and both were used sparingly towards the end too). The waterjets were built in 1996 as I recall, so sort-of getting there.

I suppose fast craft have a harder life, but there again the hovercraft seem to make it a bit further.