Sign in to follow this  
bowlerreg

Another Calais closure

I'm a bit lost in this all, but what right/business do the former MFL employees have to be on the former MFL ships? Are they on some sort of contract to stay on-board and provide maintenance to keep them ticking over?

I'm sure this has been covered but there's been so many twists and turns in the MFL saga that I have no idea anymore!

• Like 1

On the Daily Mail website it said that P&O had rerouted some ferries to Boulogne-Sur-Mer due to the chaos. Surely that's not true? I can't imagine their ships would fit in the harbour and the infrastructure there is completely mothballed. Couldn't find any evidence of it in the ship's tracks on Marrine Traffic.

I don't think they did this time but they did last time a few weeks ago. The Hub berth in the outer harbour is usable by all P&O's ships and last time they ran France-bound into Boulogne. Only reason they couldn't take northbound traffic from Boulogne was because of the absence of UK Border Control there at the moment. Daily Mail is clearly confusing yesterday's blockade with a few weeks ago. But yes, in principle, Boulogne is perfectly usable.

Calais was open again this morning. From the published reports it appears that a couple of lifeboats from the MFL ferries went and sat in the entrance to the port and declared it closed. So the authorities said, 'OK then'. Imagine what would happen if somebody tried that at Portsmouth!

I had thoughts of those titchy lifeboats being able to be pushed aside anyway by the larger ships - just shove them out of the way on the way out. But sensible head told me these boats were probably manned so that wouldn't have been possible.

According to the DFE forum, this is apparently now all over, with the ships due to be handed to DFDS tomorrow morning, 0800BST! If it happens.....big if.....then this has all come to a resolution very suddenly!

A three-way deal backed by the French government was reached late on Monday to save most of the workers' jobs. The deal came a day after the French seamen staged a six-hour blockade of the key port with two lifeboats, trapping 6,000 Britons in ferries for hours.

The French transport ministry says that under the deal, 402 out of 487 jobs would be saved at the ferry firm Scop SeaFrance.

Scop SeaFrance had been operating the Calais-Dover route under the corporate name of MyFerryLink until it went out of business.

MyFerryLink 'Rodin' in port at Dover, June 29, 2015

A MyFerryLink boat Alamy

Its protested had been protesting plans to sell off some of their ferries to rival Danish firm DFDS, fearing heavy job losses.

The contents of the agreement will be presented to members of the seamen's union at a meeting this afternoon.

As part of the deal, the workers will on Wednesday hand back two ferries, the Rodin and Berlioz, that they have been occupying for the last two months.

In a Gallic twist, the deal was clinched after French authorities caved into militant unionists demands to cart equipment from the two boats off in lorries, including cafeteria gear, consumables, sports equipment and TVs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11836310/EU-migration-crisis-live.html

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/09/01/56433/calais+blockaded+over+coffee+machine+dispute.html

Wow!

That's one ferry company I'd never dream on travelling with, can disrupt thousands of families' travel plans for whatever reason for the sake of a coffee machine. Why would DFDS want to employ these people?

"French authorities caved into militant unionists demands" - who'd have thought? Hollande that pathetic waste of Earth's natural resources, he's got to be the worst thing that has happened to France since Robespierre. When he gets voted out soon he'd have left that country in a far worse state than when he started. And people think Obama has been ineffective as a president, Hollande is something else.

I'm certainly no Daily Mail reader - I'm neither a crazy leftist or an irrate right winger - but Calais is certainly somwhere I wouldn't touch with a barge pole at the moment. You've got these poor migrants who are trying to escape genuine terrors and their biggest hurdle at the moment is a bunch of short-sighted unionists who had zero forethought to what would happen if Eurotunnel chartered the ships to someone else. Now everyone else is paying for their ignorance and arrogance.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/09/01/56433/calais+blockaded+over+coffee+machine+dispute.html

You've got these poor migrants who are trying to escape genuine terrors and their biggest hurdle at the moment is a bunch of short-sighted unionists who had zero forethought to what would happen.

They did get a majority of seats even if it was on the back of only 36.9% of the popular vote.