Sign in to follow this  
Andy

SCRUBBERS: Mont St Michel

Mont St Michel is the next member of the fleet to be having scrubbers installed, commencing on the 25th September at the Astander Shipyard in Santander.

The new scrubber installation will, unlike other members of the fleet, be housed in a new upper deck structure between her two existing funnels. An artists impression is yet to be released showing how this will impact her design.

I really hope it doesn't impact her design too much, bu I'm sure they will do as much as possible to change the existing design as little as possible.

Well, nails were bitten to the quick as to what our friend in Poole would look like, luckily been sympathetic with her and the end result is almost un-noticeable. Any idea why they are opting to do Mont different, maybe it is harder to incorporate the units on her the same.

Hope she doesn't look like that DFDS monstrosity!!

The issue with doing a commercial trip is that they would need a bigger crew who will need transportation back to France. I think that MSM will go down to Santander with a skeleton crew.

Well, nails were bitten to the quick as to what our friend in Poole would look like, luckily been sympathetic with her and the end result is almost un-noticeable. Any idea why they are opting to do Mont different, maybe it is harder to incorporate the units on her the same.

Hope she doesn't look like that DFDS monstrosity!!

Incidentally, I wonder if anyone actually worked out the financial cost of the aerodynamic changes from installations such as Optima Seawas. They essentially just put an enourmous drag-sail on the back of her, and over many thousands of miles, that must rack up a lot in extra fuel?

Her stacks taper off at the stern to accommodate public deck space.

Stena had planned to build port & starboard 3m stanchion supported inboard platforms to house filters on Scandinavica before they chose the alternative fuel route, she looks similar to MSM from the back. The upper forward superstructure would also reduce drag?

BF have been kind enough to drop us an e-mail with some images of MSM's scrubber installation. It's observed that the installation is rather complex and should be more straighforward on the PA and Armorique when it comes to their installations.

An additional (third) funnel will be installed on Deck 9 between the two existing funnels. This means the views from Les Romantiques on Deck 8 will not be obscured. Whilst it will limit the outside space on Deck 9, passengers will still be able to walk outside from the cafe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n251152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n251151[/ATTACH]

That looks a really smart piece of design. (But eerily reminds me of my dummy funnels for Barfleur April Fool.....may not have been that silly after all!)

That looks a really smart piece of design. (But eerily reminds me of my dummy funnels for Barfleur April Fool.....may not have been that silly after all!)
Probably took inspiration from it and used it on Mont...😉

Is this the first three funnel passenger ship since the old Queen Mary? ;)

Stena Germanica has 3, although one is more an exhaust than a funnel.

Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas both have 3. A large central funnel and twin funnels further aft and just forward of the structure for the sky jump simulator.

Never seen a PIC of that ship

YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN A PICTURE OF ORIGIONAL QUEEN MARY, WHAT NEVER EVER?

HOW OLD ARE YOU AND WHERE DOES YOUR INTEREST IN SHIPPING COME FROM?

I would have expected a shipping enthusiast to at least know of the Queen Mary even if they haven't seen a picture of her which I find rather strange to say the least.

I take it you have heard of the TITANTIC!

Edited by canberra97

I would have expected a shipping enthusiast to at least know of the Queen Mary even if they haven't seen a picture of her which I find rather strange to say the least.

Something tells me neil's post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 2

I think you need to calm down and take a look at peoples profile pictures before you have a rant.

• Like 1

Thanks. So far, looking at the first reckon Barfleur looks least different, followed by Normandie, then Cap due to her wings being removed. I think at the moment, Mont is going to have the most drastic change in appearance. Pont and Armorique will probably look more like Normandie.

Looks from the schedules like Bretagne is essentially sticking to covering St Malo while those two are away and that (apart from a couple of weekends in March when Bretagne covers) the Plymouth-Roscoff service is being closed down until Armorique gets back. Spain is being handled by CF and BDS - three sailings a week to Santander and two to Bilbao between them.