Sign in to follow this  
Andy

SCRUBBERS: Mont St Michel

Yes, I'm interested in the last question there too. With only the one drydock I would have thought it unlikely that they could both be going there at the same time.

Jonno I think the schedules in the link pre-date the switch for the last three ships from LNG conversion to scrubbers. Looks like LNG was going to take two months whilst scrubbers takes three. As that switch happened back at the start of the year when Pegasus was abandonned I think these schedules must be from a while back.

Edited by Gareth

Yes, I'm interested in the last question there too. With only the one drydock I would have thought it unlikely that they could both be going there at the same time.

Jonno I think the schedules in the link pre-date the switch for the last three ships from LNG conversion to scrubbers. Looks like LNG was going to take two months whilst scrubbers takes three. As that switch happened back at the start of the year when Pegasus was abandonned I think these schedules must be from a while back.

Why does it matter they only have one dry dock?

Cap Finistere and Barfleur were done on a wet dock

http://img.europapress.net/fotoweb/fotonoticia_20150528170940_644.jpg

• Like 1

Why does it matter they only have one dry dock?

Cap Finistere and Barfleur were done on a wet dock

'>http://img.europapress.net/fotoweb/fotonoticia_20150528170940_644.jpg"]http://img.europapress.net/fotoweb/fotonoticia_20150528170940_644.jpg

No, not quite right I'm afraid (otherwise I would not have made the comment). Cap Finistere and Barfleur both spent about a week either side of the drydock period at the wet dock having preparatory and finishing work done, but the bulk of the process (about two months) was spent in drydock. What I don't know is whether those parts of the process HAD to be in drydock or whether they HAPPENED to be because the dock was not required for anything else. If the latter then, yes, they may well be able to cope with both ships at the same time and juggle the drydock between them. If the former, then no way will they be able to deal with both simultaneously.

Yes, they were on here. Barfleur's AIS was switched off while she was in the drydock, whilst Cap's wasn't. They both spent over two months in it.

Edit: Tried to find them in the Barfleur tread, but all that is in there is links to outside sources, most of which no longer seem to work. So that must be what I was thinking of. However, that thread does document her entry into end exit from drydock so it's rather academic: Barfleur went into the drydock on 14 March and came out of it on 5 May. A week short of two months in it therefore.

Edited by Gareth

Think she had her under the waterline repainted or something, remember her bulbous bow looked freshly done. So she probably had her bottom scrubbed as well, and repainted.

They maybe having work done on their propellers too. Some vessels are incorporating their scrubber fitting with a differing blade configuration which aids fuel consumption.

Just had a closer look at the schedules on the weekend Armorique is due to take over from MSM at Caen. Quite a tight change of scene for Armorique - her last sailing on Plymouth-Roscoff is the afternoon departure from Roscoff on 26 September - getting into Plymouth at 2010 that evening. She is then scheduled to take the 0830 departure from Caen to Portsmouth the following morning (27th). So unloading at Plymouth, getting from Plymouth to Caen, and then loading at Caen for the 0830 departure, will all be crammed into an 11 hour window. Quite something when a glance at the map reveals the Plymouth to Caen passage should probably itself take something approaching 12 hours at normal cruising speed!

AS the crow flies Plymouth to Caen is 200 miles give or take a couple of miles. Armorique service speed is 25knots (28.7695 mph). so we are looking at 7 hours flat out as the crow flies, allow an extra hour or two to get out of Plymouth port limits,​ and to berth at Caen so I would say a 9 hour crossing time, hour at each end for loading and she might just make it.

I'm sure Armorique did some day time St Malo to Plymouth in 7-8 hours, Caen isn't much difference when you take out the channel islands getting in the way.

About 40 nautical miles further in fact. Got the charts out and measured it. From the end of pilotage at Plymouth to the start of pilotage at St Malo is approximately 140 nautical miles. Flat out at 25 knots the open sea stretch of Plymouth-St Malo ought to be doable in just over 5 and a half hours therefore. Add on around 45 minutes at each end for harbour pilotage that means that flat out Armorique should be able to do Plymouth-St Malo in around 7 hours. Sounds reasonable, although of course that is ignoring any adverse tide and any headwinds / headseas slowing her down, making the 8 hour scheduled normal duration for St Malo appropriate.

Plymouth-Caen cannot, of course (unlike Plymouth-St Malo), be traversed as the crow flies, as that would mean contravening the Casquets TSS and colliding with Barfleur (the point, not the ship!). Measured along the navigable route I make end of pilotage at Plymouth to start of pilotage at Ouistreham approximately 170 nautical miles - almost 7 hours at 25 knots, which then gets to 8 and a half hours when adding on 45 minutes at each end. So I agree, flat out with a tide that is at least not adverse and in the absence of heavy seas or a strong headwind Armorique ought to be able to make this passage in a good 9 hours. An hour at each end for unloading and loading....then 11 hours fits. Just! (But not a lot of leeway).

Edited by Gareth

So, last day of sailings today for MSM before being taken out of service for her scrubbers. Overnight tonight Caen-Portsmouth and then when she gets to Portsmouth in the morning she is done. Will be interesting to see where she goes. You'd think that if she was off to Cherbourg to de-store then they'd have probably slotted in a commercial sailing Portsmouth-Cherbourg (rather than Caen) tomorrow morning. As there isn't one in the schedules I'm more inclined to think she will not be heading to Cherbourg first. In which case directly to Santander I guess? And as they've arranged for her last stop to be at Portsmouth I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is for her to ship some freight down to Santander as she goes. As they did with Barfleur. Especially with Etretat out of service, will her sailing on Saturday be cancelled or taken by BDS if they cannot repair Etretat in time? Must be a case for taking a load down on MSM.

So, last day of sailings today for MSM before being taken out of service for her scrubbers. Overnight tonight Caen-Portsmouth and then when she gets to Portsmouth in the morning she is done. Will be interesting to see where she goes. You'd think that if she was off to Cherbourg to de-store then they'd have probably slotted in a commercial sailing Portsmouth-Cherbourg (rather than Caen) tomorrow morning. As there isn't one in the schedules I'm more inclined to think she will not be heading to Cherbourg first. In which case directly to Santander I guess? And as they've arranged for her last stop to be at Portsmouth I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is for her to ship some freight down to Santander as she goes. As they did with Barfleur. Especially with Etretat out of service, will her sailing on Saturday be cancelled or taken by BDS if they cannot repair Etretat in time? Must be a case for taking a load down on MSM.

To extend that thought, might BF subsidise a freight transfer to Plymouth. The 3-4 hour drive west would be compensated by a longer sea passage/ driver rest time on the Arm to Ouistreham and remove a bit of freight congestion at Portsmouth?

Out of interest, wonder how well the powers that be are pleased with the performance of the scrubbers already fitted. There have been no reported issues it appears.

Out of interest, wonder how well the powers that be are pleased with the performance of the scrubbers already fitted. There have been no reported issues it appears.

I have heard someone say that some vehicles which are on outside decks have been reporting that there is a residue left on them when they are in the line of the exhaust from the scrubbers. Not sure if that is true or not?

Off topic but I have often wondered why BF choose Cherborg to destore etc... In my opinion I would destore at Portsmouth as that is where most operations go from. DFDS on the other hand, destore at either Esbjerg or Odense for their Northen Europe ships, but I am not quite sure, when Sirena Seaways left for Brevik on the Danish Armed forces sailing, it destored in Esbjerg first, and the same with Patria Seaways before she went to refit in Gdansk. Anyway, just wondered what the point was of it when they could have a smaller warehouse at each port and a big one in portsmouth.

Two reasons. One, the ferry port area at Cherbourg is a vast complex that is highly under-used, so vessels can sit on a berth for days on end without needing to vacate it for scheduled services and there are large areas for storage on site. Two, it's in France and therefore much more accessible for crew to come and go. At Portsmouth ships destoring would get in the way of normal harbour operations in a big way, there would be less storage facilities available and it would be a pain in the neck for French crew to get to by comparison. Cherbourg seems to me to be ideal for BF as a storing / destoring base since its fall from grace as as the ferry port it once was. And it's ideal custom for Cherbourg too, as a way of using facilities that are no longer required for ferry operations. Win-win for both parties, which means the rates BF pay are likely to be advantageous. Advantageous and in their local currency.

Edited by Gareth

Just heard from Brittany Ferries, they tell me that 'Mont St Michel' is due to leave Cherbourg on Sunday (27/09/15), arriving in Santander Monday morning. That is the current plan anyway!

Just heard from Brittany Ferries, they tell me that 'Mont St Michel' is due to leave Cherbourg on Sunday (27/09/15), arriving in Santander Monday morning. That is the current plan anyway!

Interesting, thanks Tony. Wonder what sort of time on Sunday then - to get to Santander by "Monday morning" it would have to be the early hours I'd have thought! Given (a) that MSM only cruises at around 19 knots, (b) the need to head north west at first to pick up the SW-bound shipping lane before Casquets TSS, and © the almost certainty that MSM will have to take the long route all the way round outside Ushant, I can't see her completing this passage in much less than 28-29 hours. Then again, they probably don't want her into Santander in any case before Pont Aven gets away from the berth on her 3pm sailing to Portsmouth so I'd be surprised to see her get there before mid-afternoon on Monday. (That's assuming she will be heading for the berth in the first instance, but as every other member of the fleet that has gone down for scrubbers spent the best part of two days on the berth before heading down to the yard I'd have thought that a safe bet).