Sign in to follow this  
colinschandler

0870: Brittany Ferries Say No

Delighted to see that BF have at long last dropped the rip-off 0871 numbers used to contact them or make a reservation. They now have got new 0330 numbers which will be included in the inclusive minutes on landlines and mobiles. I always thought that it was unfair to make you use a premium rate number if you wanted to spend money with them. Recently they had even found a way of routing calls to the "Say-no-to-0870" website 0752 Plymouth numbers back to the 0871 ones.

A good bit of customer service now

I don't believe 0870 or 0871 have ever been rip-off numbers. They should never have been reclassified as premium rate, and if calling from a landline are barely any more expensive than a national call on many tariffs. BF have recently renumbered all their lines to 03x at great expense no doubt. You can now call using 0871, 03x, or the local number if you have been given it. The old 0870s have/are being phased out I believe, as will the 0871 at some point I guess.

The fact that BF make a profit from the calls no matter how small makes them a premium number also 03 numbers are usually included in mobile phone call allowances

Hands up who is old enough to remember when mobile numbers were 03x!?

My first Vodafone contract was an 0374 xxx xxx :)

Mine was as well. An old Nokia on Vodafone contract about the size of 2 TV remotes stacked on each other with an aerial which you had to pull up. If you dropped it that was that, let alone get it wet!

Just checked and with the recent price hikes, to phone the old BF 0871 number would cost me 53p per minute with the Vodafone "access charges". So the 0330 change could not have come at a better time as these are included in my free inclusive minutes bothe on my mobile and landline.

Just checked and with the recent price hikes, to phone the old BF 0871 number would cost me 53p per minute with the Vodafone "access charges". So the 0330 change could not have come at a better time as these are included in my free inclusive minutes bothe on my mobile and landline.

53p is worst case scenario. But that's why they did it now.

Since July this year, I think BF has been in breach of Ofcom regulations which require an advertiser to state the cost of using an 0870 /1 number which is in addition to the access charge made by the customer's own telephone service provider. My mobile phone cost is 53p per minute to an 0870 number which is outrageous given that I have free minutes to ordinary numbers. Greedy companies relied on ignorant customers to make money from these numbers and now thankully Ofcom has stepped in. It is bad on BF that they seem to have ignored the regulations for most of this summer.

Since July this year, I think BF has been in breach of Ofcom regulations which require an advertiser to state the cost of using an 0870 /1 number which is in addition to the access charge made by the customer's own telephone service provider. My mobile phone cost is 53p per minute to an 0870 number which is outrageous given that I have free minutes to ordinary numbers. Greedy companies relied on ignorant customers to make money from these numbers and now thankully Ofcom has stepped in. It is bad on BF that they seem to have ignored the regulations for most of this summer.

Why since July? Was the regulation brought in then? I'm sure that I saw the cost displayed on the "contact us" section of the website before it changed.