SNAV & Grandi Navi Veloci tonnage for sale.

Grimaldi owned Italian ferry operator SNAV have placed the cruise ferry Toscana on the market for £20.75m. Capable of carrying 1100 pasengers,Toscana was built for Rederi AB Gotland in 1981 and launched initially as the Gotland before her name was quickly changed to Wasa Star and then Peter Wessel.

Of further interest, Grimaldi's fellow Italian carrier GNV has placed both super ferries on the market. The 2002 Italian built La Superba​ is available for £58.7m with her younger sister, 2003 built La Suprema, available for £61.9m.

Both are 211m long and capable of 30kts, carrying 3000 passengers, 1000 cars and weighing in 50000t.

Another of their fleet, the 1998 built MV Excellent, is available for £42.5m. She again is capable of nearly 30kts and has a capacity of 2230 passengers and 760 cars.

Grimaldi owned Italian ferry operator SNAV have placed the cruise ferry Toscana on the market for £20.75m. Capable of carrying 1100 pasengers,Toscana was built for Rederi AB Gotland in 1981 and launched initially as the Gotland before her name was quickly changed to Wasa Star and then Peter Wessel.

Of further interest, Grimaldi's fellow Italian carrier GNV has placed both super ferries on the market. The 2002 Italian built La Superba​ is available for £58.7m with her younger sister, 2003 built La Suprema, available for £61.9m.

Both are 211m long and capable of 30kts, carrying 3000 passengers, 1000 cars and weighing in 50000t.

Another of their fleet, the 1998 built MV Excellent, is available for £42.5m. She again is capable of nearly 30kts and has a capacity of 2230 passengers and 760 cars.

I think the problem is that these ( Superba & Suprema) were both built to southern European specifications and the required upgrade as well as the need for scrubbers would possibly make these too expensive

Edited by ferries1st
qualify which vessels

I think the problem is that these ( Superba & Suprema) were both built to southern European specifications and the required upgrade as well as the need for scrubbers would possibly make these too expensive

They have typical Italian build standard (not always a sign of quality but not inferior to most modern ferries). Their interiors arevery deliberately Italian but of a high standard although the number of reclining seats is higher than BF go for on the Spanish routes nowadays.

Two points to note here; sixty odd million plus another ten for scrubber conversion seems like a very good deal to me compared to the cost of a new build. They are quick, have plenty of cabins, and as said previously give BF an instant solution to the ageing Bretagne problem. I'm not sure what typical Italian build standard means but as long as passengers can eat, sleep and relax well then there can't be too much to complain about.

And the Excellent would be an ideal vessel to replace the Irish Ferries ship Oscar Wilde; again sufficient cabins, speed when/if needed on the Dublin - France route and at the right price.

So we're going to spent 60 million on a 12 year old ship another 10 million on scrubbers, rebuild the bow and refit throughout ? millions. Nearly as cheap to go for the new build that could be built to fit the ports it would work from.

Trying to think, as far as I can work out BF has not operated a stern-only loader in the fleet since Penn Ar Bed. (Can anyone think of any others?). True, Cap Finistere tends to operate as one on the Portsmouth-Bilbao route due to the wide linkspans at each end, so if they did want to go for one of these ships I suppose they could be used to Bilbao. But will be no good for Santander and as such could not operate the flagship service and therefore not the answer for releasing Pont Aven to go to St Malo. Nor do they need an answer for that, because they already have their plans - this is what project Pegasus is for.

So we're going to spent 60 million on a 12 year old ship another 10 million on scrubbers, rebuild the bow and refit throughout ? millions. Nearly as cheap to go for the new build that could be built to fit the ports it would work from.

Remember - The newbuild is more like 270million. They could sell this interim option after. The newbuild is a LONG way off still. It would solve the problem of having to use expensive fuel for Bretagne during the build time. It would add capacity.

There is no reason for even thinking it might be on the radar - BF has not indicated that this is something that they are looking into. Someone on here just decided to point out that the ships were for sale and the rest has been unsubstantiated speculation.

There is no reason for even thinking it might be on the radar - BF has not indicated that this is something that they are looking into. Someone on here just decided to point out that the ships were for sale and the rest has been unsubstantiated speculation.

Yes I am aware of this. I just said they could be suitable in light of the lack of tonnage on order.

Me too. I'd far rather they concentrated on building their own rather than faff around trying to make non-purpose-built tonnage fit their brand. Look at the current fleet - the second hand members fit in like a sore thumb compared with what they design and build themselves, and any money spent on second hand tonnage now is money that is not available for financing building. Bretagne can hold the fort while we wait! But BF moved away from being a fleet full of second hand ships when they entered the luxury market in the 90s, and I'd hate to see them return to the days of an eclectic mix of second-hand cast-offs that characterised them in the 80s. Etretat, Baie de Seine and Cap Finistere have already taken them further in that direction than I would have liked.

GNV had both super ferries on the market 5 years ago too and there were no takers then. I can't see which carrier would really be interested in them, their size alone makes them less marketable.

Regarding SNAV, they now have the fully refurbed Bonaparte/Rhapsody so it makes sense for them to try to off load nearly 35 year old tonnage.

I can understand Gareth's point. The two charters and the Cap', a vessel not used to capacity due to poor configuration, do appear like a step backward, although the last pre loved vessel BF bought was the VDL a ship which arguably cemented their position as a luxury carrier.

However I think it's worth pointing out that at £270m, just over the total cost of the Pont, MSM & Arm combined, BF may simply not have the finance available to throw all of their eggs in the one basket.

Negotiate for one to replace Bretagne? For me that would be it, I certainly wouldn't rotate the Pont on to the St Malo run for a non new build.

"Negotiate for one to replace Bretagne? For me that would be it, I certainly wouldn't rotate the Pont on to the St Malo run for a non new build."

But would they fit St Malo they are 20 odd metres longer than the Pont. I like the idea but the problem is what ports they fit into.