Sign in to follow this  
jonno

SNAV & Grandi Navi Veloci tonnage for sale.

I also agree that a new build would be better for BF's sake. That way, they can specify the exact capacity and configuration it needs as well as the type of facilities it includes.

Cap would in no way suit the Saint-Malo service. Not enough facilities and under capacity.

"Negotiate for one to replace Bretagne? For me that would be it, I certainly wouldn't rotate the Pont on to the St Malo run for a non new build."

But would they fit St Malo they are 20 odd metres longer than the Pont. I like the idea but the problem is what ports they fit into.

If I had a preference, I'd opt for the slightly older Excellent... 187m, ten years younger than the Bret' and could quite easily fulfil the Etretat role when the new build arrives. BF would then have four ships capable of 28-30kts.

I can't really see it though as BF had the chance of buying one of the super ferries when they opted to pay £61m for the Cap'.

Edited by jonno

I'm with solo. Better to fund a new ship, even if it is more. We'll have another "proper BF ship" then, like Bretagne.

I was never saying not to stop the new build (although technically it is already stopped or 'on pause') - just use one of these in the period of the build and then sell again. they seem suitable, especially the speed to cover BF routes well during the period of the build of any potential new flagship, improving capacity, schedules, fuel costs etc, if it facilitated moving the Bretagne on early - not something which I want, but just being practical!

Doubt if BF would be interested -- too little clear headroom on the main vehicle decks. Just 4.3m when 4.5m would be the absolute minimum.

Why has that not caused a problem for their previous operator then?

Standard single height semi-trailer in 4.25m, the new EC directive in 2014 states that all new single deck high cube trailers must be a maximum of 4m.

This means more trailers on the roads covering more miles. This to me makes a bit of a mockery of the emission regs...?

BF offer a clearance of 5m, this is due to their membership of the HTA- Heavy Transport Assoc', although I don't know if that is for all crossings or their need for a more dedicated freight carrier such as BDS or Etretat.

Edited by jonno

The merry -go-round continues... GNV have placed La superba up for sale again after she was taken off the market and used for the annual ferry conference, this time for a more expensive £67m, must be due to the new paint job... The major difference now is that they are open to charter offers too.

• Thanks 1