Summer's Over

Gareth

Indeed. DFDS is in no way a good example of how to remodel a ferry company. They are a faint shadow of what they used to be and have completely destroyed their once-fine passenger route network. I too was wondering how to respond to that post, but I agree, probably best to just leave it at that.

Anyway......this thread is about the BF winter schedules.....! ;)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did not mean to call anyone a snob, but to me it came across that way.if you read the comments a lot of people praise bds ferry and even class it above some of the so called blue flag ferries.

BDS is a fine ship and would be equally comfortable covering more of BF's routes in a similar fashion to Armorique. If one was to place their ship guides side by side, one would see that their concept is very similar.

As Gareth points out in his thread opener, from the new season Etretat is no longer being used on the longer Spanish crossings, it makes me wonder whether BF had this in mind all along, knowing how comfortable and popular BDS was on the Harwich-Esbjerg route.

I think we some times loose the plot. As it's name implies BF are a ferry company. The bulk of their passengers see the ships solely as a way to take themselves, their families and their cars across the Channel at an economic, value for money fare, as do the freight companies.

They should not be considered in any way as the alternative to a "cruise". I haven't' been on the BDS but in my opinion the Armorique suits the bill perfectly. I would far rather have a quality meal in Plymouth before an overnight departure (try the "Samphire Bush" just over the wall from the ferryport) or similarly a meal Roscoff or Carantec. Then a quick nightcap in the Arm's comfortable bar before a good nights sleep in her comfortable and very quiet cabins.

DFP might not be too far off the mark regarding an ex Baltic ship built in '92... A colleague of mine who relocated from LNG in Pembroke to Barrow Island say's that BF are one of three companies who have enquired about chartering the ex Silja Europa.For me she needs a bit too much work and again is a little on mature side.

Apart from Etretat's dubious reliability record I too cannot understand why so many people prefer the Baie de Seine.

We came back from Le Havre on Saturday 17th October on the Baie de Seine and found it to be a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Even though the sea was very calm there was a continuous vibration which was particularly evident in Deck 10 reading lounge. it was so annoying that we rapidly returned to our cabin, where it was still noticeable.

It reminded me of our early crossings to St Malo, back in the 80's, when every panel in the cabin seemed to vibrate.

Suffice it to say that SWMBO has decreed that for future trips I am never to book a crossing on Baie de Seine!

It's a shame because l do agree that the public spaces are far better than on board Etretat.

I've been classed as many things in my life, a snob has never been one of them! I just don't think that £800+ for a sailing to Spain classed as "Economie" which has a limited customer offer is good value. BF made their name and reputation on offering their customers quality and reliability, not something any Visentini is renowned for especially when their cost pre loved is comparable to a cruise ferry. P&O lowered their standards and vanished, do we really want BF to do the same?

Yes but it was never "P & O Economy" it was just economy "P & O" - if you get me. BF have been very clear to differenitate economie from their main core brand, and even highlight all the things you are missing out on at the time of booking economy.

Can't see this happening aha

Nope me neither, The other two he mentioned were Attica and St Peter Line.I wouldn't be surprised if they all got an invite... I'd go just for the jolly!

My money is on her heading north to the Baltic again on charter to SPL just like the other two.

Nice rendering JS...

I'm not so certain what differences there are between some ships BF ships and BDS, apart from less cabins. Obviously Pont Aven is more advanced than BDS but that's because it is more of a cruise ship, but some of the others... I'm not so sure

Although I have never travelled on either of them, looking at guides downloaded from the BF site, the BDF and Barfleur (smaller and older) appear to have near identical facilities and a very similar layout, SO why does one have the "economie" epithet and the other one "cruise"

Although I have never travelled on either of them, looking at guides downloaded from the BF site, the BDF and Barfleur (smaller and older) appear to have near identical facilities and a very similar layout, SO why does one have the "economie" epithet and the other one "cruise"

Because if BF rebranded Barfleur economie, everyone in Dorset would have a tantrum

Yes but it was never "P & O Economy" it was just economy "P & O" - if you get me. BF have been very clear to differenitate economie from their main core brand, and even highlight all the things you are missing out on at the time of booking economy.

Hf, you've got a point there. P&O's customer focus was the problem rather than the three ships. BF were very quick to stop their mini cruise offering possibly once they saw the shenanigans on the PoB.

Because if BF rebranded Barfleur economie, everyone in Dorset would have a tantrum

So long as the fares were reduced accordingly I can't see anyone minding but that's not going to happen when she is having no trouble attracting passengers at the current rate.

I think she'd have to be branded Economie if she was put on any other BF route apart from Poole-Cherbourg. Fond of her as everyone may be, she is not up to the standard of the cruise ferry fleet, even Armorique. On Poole-Cherbourg expectations are different, which is not unreasonable given it is only a 4-hour crossing.

Archived