1kerbut1

St Nazaire to Gijon

Is there any news on the service re opening ?, I read on here earlier this year another company had bought the route from LD and were going to open it again.

Edited by Gareth

Nothing I'm aware of since that report. If memory serves, the report said that a company had been granted a licence but had no ship to operate it, so resumption of the route is still probably a long way off.

Sailed on that route a few times in the past,I would only sail that route has a last resort.every time it docked late and a mad dash over to connect with next sailing to Portsmouth and never a reason for docking late.so to me good riddance to ld lines

Isn't there a commitment to carry PSA group and Scania vehicles from Gijon?

I think that is now covered by the St Nazaire to Vigo route which does not take passengers except perhaps "truckies".

I believe informed opinion is that this service is most unlikely to revive.  The operator will need a subsidy from somewhere.  Unfortunately the parallel Suardiaz service between Vigo and Montoir is already subsidised by the EU I believe it is and it is thought it would be considered illogical for the same entity to subsidise two parallel services.  Perhaps Gijon should try to encourage the revival of the service to Poole.  I don't believe LD Lines really tried on this, especially in relation to freight.  The loadings on BF's service from Bilbao to Poole with MN Pelican far exceed anything LD ever conveyed, I believe.  I did hear that LD needed at least forty freight units per trip to make the service pay and that on one occasion they had just three!  The latest figures from "Shippaxinfo" for April this year suggest MN Pelican is averaging seventy freight units per trip.

Balearia are one of the Mediterranean operators BF need to be rather wary of.  Maybe Balearia's ambitions could extend to reviving all of GLD Atlantique's routes.  Interestingly they have two further Visentinis on order due for delivery next year, both able to burn LNG.  They needed them in a hurry so went to the Visentini yard who got out the plans for their famous series of ropaxes.

I was referring to a report in "Shippaxinfo" when I mentioned "informed opinion" in a previous post.  It would seem they were not as well informed as I had supposed if indeed what is now suggested about Balearia proves to be correct.

These two further Visentinis are most intriguing, especially as they will be able to burn LNG and so be able to operate in an Emission Control Area such as the English Channel.  Also Balearia want them quickly, next year in fact.  Hence reviving an established design.  Interesting times but we'll just have to wait and see!

21 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

Balearia are one of the Mediterranean operators BF need to be rather wary of.  Maybe Balearia's ambitions could extend to reviving all of GLD Atlantique's routes.  Interestingly they have two further Visentinis on order due for delivery next year, both able to burn LNG.  They needed them in a hurry so went to the Visentini yard who got out the plans for their famous series of ropaxes.

Good grief, they're not still building them are they?! :o

10 hours ago, Gareth said:

Good grief, they're not still building them are they?! :o

Yes, it would seem they are!  But I don't think I've seen any indication as to where they're to be used.  However this report about Balearia and Gijon-St Nazaire/Montoir for next year and the fact they're wanted in a great hurry, for next year in fact, does rather point in a certain direction.

One would hope that PHC are banging the big drum on behalf of Poole just in case Balearia are planning to resume where LD Lines left off.  One hardly has to mention that LD used Visentinis for its Biscay services and then to note Balearia wants two LNG Visentinis in a hurry!

There is some very interesting information in the News Board forum in the thread about BF's new ship, Honfleur.  Recent posts more relevant to this thread deal with ambitious plans for port development in northern Spain.  However one does wonder how it all squares with existing arrangements.  In particular one may ask what happens to Suardiaz's concession to convey cars manufactured in Vigo across the Bay of Biscay from Vigo to Montoir.  One wonders what sort of service Balearia are proposing to institute between Gijon and Montoir and are these two further examples of Visentini's long running series of ropaxes which Balearia have on order for delivery next year have anything to do with this especially as the specifications given in "Shippaxinfo" indicate 150 cars and just over 800 pax.

12 hours ago, georgem7 said:

http://www.passengership.info/news/view,baleria-orders-two-new-gasfuelled-ferries-in-200-million-deal_46349.htm

I think these are the new ships for Balearia. I'm led to believe they are being built at the same yard as, but they are different than the normal visentini ship. 

I think that image is of the ship Balearia have building art La Naval. The Visentini ships have the same dimensions as the standard ones from that yard - no publicity images have been released of them that I've seen and it could be that, LNG apart, they are broadly similar to the yard's regular output.

2 hours ago, hhvferry said:

I think that image is of the ship Balearia have building art La Naval. The Visentini ships have the same dimensions as the standard ones from that yard - no publicity images have been released of them that I've seen and it could be that, LNG apart, they are broadly similar to the yard's regular output.

"Shippaxinfo" in its latest edition (July/August 2017) in its regular "Ferry on Order" feature does have a small illustration of the side elevation of these Balearia Visentinis and indeed they would seem to be broadly similar to the yard's regular output.  However the principal change would seem to be that the ventilation apertures on the upper full length vehicle deck have been eliminated.  It is believed that this feature so prominent in previous vessels of this series contributed to the serious fires on Sorrento and Norman Atlantic.

It is interesting that no route for these vessels has been specified anywhere that I've seen.  In the quote earlier in this thread from local media in the Asturias region of Spain what would seem to be an important meeting of interested parties is scheduled for next month.  Thus something may emerge after this.

Balearia will be getting a subsidy for two years for Gijon-Montoir if it happens. Thereafter I suppose they will on their own.  Thus like LD Lines before them they may consider it wise to expand into more commercially viable routes like Gijon-Poole and Montoir-Rosslare in order to establish their position.  Indeed on Montoir-Rosslare it was reported that business was just beginning to pick up when LD closed everything down!

2 minutes ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

"Shippaxinfo" in its latest edition (July/August 2017) in its regular "Ferry on Order" feature does have a small illustration of the side elevation of these Balearia Visentinis and indeed they would seem to be broadly similar to the yard's regular output.  However the principal change would seem to be that the ventilation apertures on the upper full length vehicle deck have been eliminated.  It is believed that this feature so prominent in previous vessels of this series contributed to the serious fires on Sorrento and Norman Atlantic.

It is interesting that no route for these vessels has been specified anywhere that I've seen.  In the quote earlier in this thread from local media in the Asturias region of Spain it is reported that what would seem to be an important meeting of interested parties is scheduled for next month.  Thus something may emerge after this.

Balearia will be getting a subsidy for two years for Gijon-Montoir if it happens. Thereafter I suppose they will be on their own.  Thus like LD Lines before them they may consider it wise to expand into more commercially viable routes like Gijon-Poole and Montoir-Rosslare in order to establish their position.  Indeed on Montoir-Rosslare it was reported that business was just beginning to pick up when LD closed everything down!

I wonder why all talk of revival of a Gijon route has Poole as the UK terminus.  One would think that Plymouth might be a more attractive option, both for freight customers (better road links) and the ferry operator (shorter route so less fuel etc).

Or does BF have some kind of exclusivity rights at Milbay? 

44 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder why all talk of revival of a Gijon route has Poole as the UK terminus.  One would think that Plymouth might be a more attractive option, both for freight customers (better road links) and the ferry operator (shorter route so less fuel etc).

Or does BF have some kind of exclusivity rights at Milbay? 

Because it's those from Poole that do most of the speculating.

• Like 3

I would agree supporters of Poole would like to see a return of a carpax service to Spain but, of course, should Balearia be thinking along these lines they can go wherever they like -- but there are not that many options.  Portsmouth would appear to be getting a bit over-congested both ashore and afloat.  The arrival of HMS Queen Elizabeth isn't going to help.  Personally I have no doubt that MN Pelican is at Poole because of restricted trailer parking at the PIP.  I believe BF do have some sort of exclusive use arrangement at the Millbay terminal at Plymouth which would seem to contravene the national open port policy but then the Millbay facility may not be the entire Port of Plymouth.  There is Falmouth but does this port have the appropriate facilities and is it not too far from population centres?  

By the time one may speculate Balearia could be planning a Spain-UK service Poole ought to have its South Quay fully operational -- which makes things somewhat different from LD Lines days.  Also in setting up their Biscay operations Balearia may seek to re-employ former LD staff and one understands from this website that PHC are still on friendly terms with LD reps at Poole who could argue for this port.  Since BF is well established at the PIP with three large ferries on Spanish services it might make better commercial sense for a potential competitor to go elsewhere

But all this is entertaining speculation but we shall just have to see what in fact happens.

You mention Falmouth HT but there are no facilities.  For years people have said Falmouth should have a ferry service but once BF started using Plymouth it was never going to happen, as a lot of trade would have to come from outside of Cornwall, why drive 60 ml past Plymouth to catch a ferry?

18 hours ago, Solo said:

You mention Falmouth HT but there are no facilities.  For years people have said Falmouth should have a ferry service but once BF started using Plymouth it was never going to happen, as a lot of trade would have to come from outside of Cornwall, why drive 60 ml past Plymouth to catch a ferry?

There simply isn't the space in Falmouth to do it,  nor the road infrastructure to support it. Even if someone was willing to build a terminal. The dream is that it would be great for Cornwall, but I highly doubt it would be economically viable.