Sign in to follow this  
d2frs

BARFLEUR: Earlier Departure Saturday Morning

Just had a text from BF advising the departure time for Barfy has been brought forward to 08:15 due to "operational changes" Anyone any clue what the operation changes are? The BF website still says sailings as normal.

Edited by d2frs

I'm wondering whether it's tide related. The wind is due to pick up along the south coast from around 0600 with gusts upto 35/50 mph at Poole with Plymouth expecting gusts in the region of 70mph around 0900.

Cherbourg will be experiencing a steady 30mph when you dock.

She does indeed, first attempt failed looked like wed made it at first so I retired for breakfast and a glass of wine :-) captain to make a decision on whether to sail or not in 30 minutes

Captain Roignan on is he? Wonder if the Liberation will sail, she's sitting there as well, be a bit iffy for her - surprised if she sails and Barfleur doesn't!!!

The com's from reception are pretty terrible lots of passengers whinging why aren't we leaving, very little info being given on why we can't leave, I know, the wind is blowing us on to the quay . Barfy is very quiet. 20% full on the upper car deck. Probably cheaper for BF not to sail.

â€We are not now sailing,  cancelled and rebooked from Portsmouth. Oh well!  Makes for an interesting morning!  Can't blame them really weather is getting worse here.‹

I met someone who was on the cancelled crossing and there was a fair bit of difficulty in getting off the berth if I understood. Very, very windy in Poole.

It looked like they'd done it back end was well clear of the quay when I went for breakfast. Â Oh well aboard Normandie 60 cars on board so I'm told but very quite in all the public areas.. Â Â So dinner at 18:15 it is then.

Well all you lot the ship had Technical problem with the genitor which lost power that's why the Vessel went back along. We were told may sail in 30/45 mins and weather was deter ate so Master decide to stay along side

Brittany Ferries is back to its old ways of just giving a bland "technical problem" as a reason for delay / cancellation. At least when Condor Liberation is cancelled (often!) there is always a very detailed explanation of the problem and somehow this makes me feel a lot more sympaphy for them.

Barfleur hardly ever has any technical problems, let alone be cancelled for them at such short notice. And it is a proper technical problem, though. Condor do explain in a lot of detail, though. And makes it easier to understand.

Certainly no mention of a technical problem when I enquired of the deck staff, couldn't get off the quay due to the winds tug assistance wasn't enough.

Hope you have a good journey, I must book her up myself soon.

Thanks Khaines, I think things may get a little exiting approaching Guernsey plus after your account of her,I'm looking forward to my 1st trip on her.

Most of us just go along with the reason of a technical problem, it's only us ferry freeks who like to know why. Condor on the other hand have to be a little more transparent because of their lame excuses in the past.

Certainly no mention of a technical problem when I enquired of the deck staff, couldn't get off the quay due to the winds tug assistance wasn't enough.

Im sure the the staff in the terminal have no understanding of generating power to the bow thrusters which had a fault. As far as they are concerned it's Weather related

Thanks Khaines, I think things may get a little exiting approaching Guernsey plus after your account of her,I'm looking forward to my 1st trip on her.

I guess she may get a little lively, quite blustery, not sure what conditions are like out there, but it won't be millpond, so she will probably liven up.

Be interesting to find out what happens this Sunday morning as it's forecast to be a little blowy again. No texts yet advising of a change of sailing time however.