Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

11 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Who? Superfast tried and failed with a pax service, now DFDS with freight service, sadly I think no one would want to risk it

Only with a substantial Scottish government grant.

Very interesting, would two of these ships, configured differently, be suitable for the Newcastle-Holland route? I'm guessing probably not due to their high freight capacity...

On 23/04/2018 at 14:13, neilcvx said:

This has been announced by P&O.

After the fire on FINLANDIA SEAWAYS, DFDS decided to stop its service between Zeebrugge and Rosyth, Scotland. (news 16 April 2018)  
P&O Ferries now announced their plans to lift capacity on the Zeebrugge-Teesport route by almost 25% within the next month, in order to create a gateway to Scotland.

How this increase in capacity will be realised is still kept confidential. P&O is understood to be looking at a different configuration of ships.

The company currently carries more than 100,000 freight units a year to Teesport from its continental hub at Zeebrugge. The 12 sailings a week service is provided by the BORE SONG and the MISTRAL.

Customers will benefit from P&O Ferries' plans to increase the capacity of its ships combined with the introduction by PD Ports of a new rail service to Mossend in Scotland. The timetable of both services will be fully integrated so that freight can be moved from one to the other with minimal delay.

• Like 1

Mossend = Eurocentral just off the M8 on the Edinburgh side of the Glasgow outskirts makes sense as it has good rail freight links , interesting stuff.

There is a nice animation showing the new freighter vessels which DFDS has ordered. I am told the first one will be called Gothia Seaways, a nod to former Tor Gothia. I don't know why DFDS have moved back to the Seaways naming, after Cote Des Dunes / Flandres, but I am told all the new ships will be 'Something Seaways'. 

DFDS also won some completion in being the best in Europe or something. 

Have a nice day all :)