Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

http://splash247.com/dfds-charters-t...uildings-siem/

DFDS have ordered 2 new freight ships on bare boat charter with an option to purchase...

They will be built in Flensburg and due for delivery in May and September respectivley.

So I guess this is where people start speculating, so might as well kick it off... I'm guessing to replace Hafnia Seaways, and Jutlandia Seaways

-DFP

--MY 200th POST!--

DFP, do you think that they're a bit young to be replaced... Sealandia & Suecia perhaps?

DFP, do you think that they're a bit young to be replaced... Sealandia & Suecia perhaps?

Possibly, I was thinking that according to the DFDS 150 book they weren't optimised for north sea operation, and have had many problems when the weather was bad, Selandia and Suecia could be transfered to another route, but I think they are good, solid north sea ships with scrubbers recently fitted.... Saying this, you are right and they are rather old. Ark Futura could be up for replacement especially now DFDS has re-won the ARK contract.

-DFP

Petunia Seaways (The one with an awful oopsie on her front, after meeting a car carrier in Immingham) speant the last couple of days in Esbjerg, before heading to Germany, to be lengthened by 30 meters, and repainted.

Very very very unlikely, BUT, I have heared that possibly, a new ship will be brought to replace Crown on Oslo to Copenhagen, allowing Crown to replace both King and Princess, which would make NEW - AMS, a 1 ship service, but as I said please take this with a lot of caution, as it was just over heared while I was on Crown a few weeks back.

Petunia Seaways (The one with an awful oopsie on her front, after meeting a car carrier in Immingham) speant the last couple of days in Esbjerg, before heading to Germany, to be lengthened by 30 meters, and repainted.

Very very very unlikely, BUT, I have heared that possibly, a new ship will be brought to replace Crown on Oslo to Copenhagen, allowing Crown to replace both King and Princess, which would make NEW - AMS, a 1 ship service, but as I said please take this with a lot of caution, as it was just over heared while I was on Crown a few weeks back.

If that happened then route closure would surely follow shortly afterwards...

If that happened then route closure would surely follow shortly afterwards...

There were rumours among the staff just last month that Princess was to be replaced and a new ship would enter the operation but nothing had been confirmed.

I would be very surprised and upset if DFDS were to cut the Newcastle - Ijmuiden route given its widely publicized operational success over recent years.

There were rumours among the staff just last month that Princess was to be replaced and a new ship would enter the operation but nothing had been confirmed.

I would be very surprised and upset if DFDS were to cut the Newcastle - Ijmuiden route given its widely publicized operational success over recent years.

Just as well its a lot of rumours and codswallop .

Yes, I was never saying it was true, just reporting back, what I have heard.

Also, my friend in Denmark, who works for DFDS in co-creation, has sent me some great pictures on Instagram, of Petunia Seaways (Or is it Primula) split in half, in dry dock..

DFP

Just as well its a lot of rumours and codswallop .

Yes, I was never saying it was true, just reporting back, what I have heard.

Also, my friend in Denmark, who works for DFDS in co-creation, has sent me some great pictures on Instagram, of Petunia Seaways (Or is it Primula) split in half, in dry dock..

DFP

I traveled back on Princess Seaways on Monday, I did think it would be King which made me a little excited to be briefly reunited with our old friend the Val, anyway...

The question is, I thought only King hand clamshell bow doors, fitted by BF, with the other three sisters have a bow visor. Being the first built, was Princess always this way or was she altered down under or later?

It seems strange to have four sister vessels built differently.

No, Jonno, both the DFDS pair were built with clam doors. They were built as Nils Holgerson and Peter Pan I believe, for TT line. The P&O pair was built for Olau with visors.

I traveled back on Princess Seaways on Monday, I did think it would be King which made me a little excited to be briefly reunited with our old friend the Val, anyway...

The question is, I thought only King hand clamshell bow doors, fitted by BF, with the other three sisters have a bow visor. Being the first built, was Princess always this way or was she altered down under or later?

It seems strange to have four sister vessels built differently.

I hope you enjoyed the Princess, I think she's a lovely ship, one of my favourites...

She's definitely in good nick for her age. I was impressed to see that her white superstructure and railings were clean & crisp, at this time of year there's usually the telltale rust marks appearing around the edges, maybe it's just a result of the milder weather we've had so far?

Yes OK, maybe internally she's a bit dated which is to be expected considering her age but, the carpeting was clean and well maintained, my cabin was fresh with, surprisingly, no evidence of the usual wear & tear scuff marks you see around furniture and bunk bases.

I went for the A la Carte in the Blue Riband which for me was every bit as good as Les Abers & Le Flora, well presented, top quality and stylish. I pre booked the three courses for £27 which considering the hotel prices I've just paid I felt was really good value, although I think I'll opt for the buffet next time.

I went to Holland via Stena, Yes they're big and modern with more space and there is certainly a marked difference in the fixtures and fittings but the Princess felt more intimate and cozier although that could just be my age and my love of '80's cruise ferries.

Pont Aven next, 11th December...

• Like 1

No, Jonno, both the DFDS pair were built with clam doors. They were built as Nils Holgerson and Peter Pan I believe, for TT line. The P&O pair was built for Olau with visors.

Thanks Gareth, that's were I was confused, I always thought BF removed the visor when they strengthened her bow.

Sounds like you had a great trip jonno. I'm hoping to get up to Newcastle before Christmas, though I expect I'll end up on the King somehow!

Never quite understood why the deck numbering on the Princess is not the same as the King, everything is numbered one deck lower down.

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a great trip jonno. I'm hoping to get up to Newcastle before Christmas, though I expect I'll end up on the King somehow!

Never quite understood why the deck numbering on the Princess is not the same as the King, everything is numbered one deck lower down.

Good point, I wonder if deck 3 being higher on Princess is the reason, together with the shallower bow?

I've got the plans lurking in the recesses of my hard drive somewhere, it would be interesting to see.

I assumed this was due to the fact Val was fitted with a 'deck 4' by BF. Princess obviously doesn't have it and deck numbering continued onto the next deck