Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

11 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Who? Superfast tried and failed with a pax service, now DFDS with freight service, sadly I think no one would want to risk it

Only with a substantial Scottish government grant.

Very interesting, would two of these ships, configured differently, be suitable for the Newcastle-Holland route? I'm guessing probably not due to their high freight capacity...

On 23/04/2018 at 14:13, neilcvx said:

This has been announced by P&O.

After the fire on FINLANDIA SEAWAYS, DFDS decided to stop its service between Zeebrugge and Rosyth, Scotland. (news 16 April 2018)  
P&O Ferries now announced their plans to lift capacity on the Zeebrugge-Teesport route by almost 25% within the next month, in order to create a gateway to Scotland.

How this increase in capacity will be realised is still kept confidential. P&O is understood to be looking at a different configuration of ships.

The company currently carries more than 100,000 freight units a year to Teesport from its continental hub at Zeebrugge. The 12 sailings a week service is provided by the BORE SONG and the MISTRAL.

Customers will benefit from P&O Ferries' plans to increase the capacity of its ships combined with the introduction by PD Ports of a new rail service to Mossend in Scotland. The timetable of both services will be fully integrated so that freight can be moved from one to the other with minimal delay.

• Like 1

Mossend = Eurocentral just off the M8 on the Edinburgh side of the Glasgow outskirts makes sense as it has good rail freight links , interesting stuff.

There is a nice animation showing the new freighter vessels which DFDS has ordered. I am told the first one will be called Gothia Seaways, a nod to former Tor Gothia. I don't know why DFDS have moved back to the Seaways naming, after Cote Des Dunes / Flandres, but I am told all the new ships will be 'Something Seaways'. 

DFDS also won some completion in being the best in Europe or something. 

Have a nice day all :)

On 17/05/2018 at 14:11, jonno said:

This has been announced by P&O.

After the fire on FINLANDIA SEAWAYS, DFDS decided to stop its service between Zeebrugge and Rosyth, Scotland. (news 16 April 2018)  
P&O Ferries now announced their plans to lift capacity on the Zeebrugge-Teesport route by almost 25% within the next month, in order to create a gateway to Scotland.

How this increase in capacity will be realised is still kept confidential. P&O is understood to be looking at a different configuration of ships.

The company currently carries more than 100,000 freight units a year to Teesport from its continental hub at Zeebrugge. The 12 sailings a week service is provided by the BORE SONG and the MISTRAL.

Customers will benefit from P&O Ferries' plans to increase the capacity of its ships combined with the introduction by PD Ports of a new rail service to Mossend in Scotland. The timetable of both services will be fully integrated so that freight can be moved from one to the other with minimal delay.

What they don’t mention is the larger vessel is only chartered for 3 months!  Estraden could end up back on her old route when Mistral comes back from charter to Stena.

On 26/04/2018 at 09:40, Ryan_H said:

Very interesting, would two of these ships, configured differently, be suitable for the Newcastle-Holland route? I'm guessing probably not due to their high freight capacity...

Newcastle - Ijmuiden needs more freight capacity actually, and I imagine the ending of the Rosyth operation will increase demand a bit too.  Freight space is in demand in the North East and I believe DFDS are basically full every night these days.  I don’t think the E-Flexer vessels would suit the passenger market though - there’s a lot of overnight “cruise” customers for example.  The E-Flexer isn’t the only passenger vessel DFDS have on order either - they have a couple of Chinese RoPax’s of the own (Knud E Hansen) design coming too so I wouldn’t rule out them getting a bespoke vessel designed.  Perhaps something that could also be adapted to suit the Oslo route as well?

8 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Perhaps something that could also be adapted to suit the Oslo route as well?

Are there any plans for new builds for Oslo-Copenhagen?

12 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

What they don’t mention is the larger vessel is only chartered for 3 months!  Estraden could end up back on her old route when Mistral comes back from charter to Stena.

Newcastle - Ijmuiden needs more freight capacity actually, and I imagine the ending of the Rosyth operation will increase demand a bit too.  Freight space is in demand in the North East and I believe DFDS are basically full every night these days.  I don’t think the E-Flexer vessels would suit the passenger market though - there’s a lot of overnight “cruise” customers for example.  The E-Flexer isn’t the only passenger vessel DFDS have on order either - they have a couple of Chinese RoPax’s of the own (Knud E Hansen) design coming too so I wouldn’t rule out them getting a bespoke vessel designed.  Perhaps something that could also be adapted to suit the Oslo route as well?

This is what I have for DFDS orders. Sorry, the last columns are length, GT, lane metres, cars, pax and fuel.

DFDS Ro-Pax GSI   Deltamarin TBN1 Q1-2021     4500   600 scrubber      
DFDS Ro-Pax GSI   Deltamarin TBN1 Q3-2021     4500   600 scrubber      
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN1 Feb-19 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN2   235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN3 Q1-2020 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN4 Q2-2020 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN5 2021 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Pax Avic   Stena RoRo E-Flexer 5 TBN5 2020 212 42000 3100 300 927        
Edited by jonno
  • Like 1

On 19/07/2018 at 23:40, jonno said:

This is what I have for DFDS orders. Sorry, the last columns are length, GT, lane metres, cars, pax and fuel.

DFDS Ro-Pax GSI   Deltamarin TBN1 Q1-2021     4500   600 scrubber      
DFDS Ro-Pax GSI   Deltamarin TBN1 Q3-2021     4500   600 scrubber      
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN1 Feb-19 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN2   235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN3 Q1-2020 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN4 Q2-2020 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Ro Jinling     TBN5 2021 235 58000 6700   12        
DFDS Ro-Pax Avic   Stena RoRo E-Flexer 5 TBN5 2020 212 42000 3100 300 927        

The first Jinling RoRo is probably going to be called GOTHICA SEAWAYS.  DFDS forgot to blur out the name on one of the pictures they posted of her under construction.  They have since replaced the picture!  

I can't personally see DFDS ridding of the King/Princess until they absolutely have too. It must be reiterated that the Newcastle-Ijmuiden service is outed as a cruise experience, and they need cruise like ferries to serve the routes. The new-builds they have on order seem more suited to freight services - and bare in mind that the King/Princess could have another 10 years in them.

On 21/07/2018 at 19:00, tarbyonline said:

The first Jinling RoRo is probably going to be called GOTHICA SEAWAYS.  DFDS forgot to blur out the name on one of the pictures they posted of her under construction.  They have since replaced the picture!  

Gothia seaways, not Gothica. 

On 23/07/2018 at 21:48, Le Quiberon said:

I can't personally see DFDS ridding of the King/Princess until they absolutely have too. It must be reiterated that the Newcastle-Ijmuiden service is outed as a cruise experience, and they need cruise like ferries to serve the routes. The new-builds they have on order seem more suited to freight services - and bare in mind that the King/Princess could have another 10 years in them.

I generally agree, but with my business hat on, DFDS could reduce overall sailings to the Netherlands by replacing King and Princess with ROPAX ferries (move a single ship off the Rotterdam rotation from Immingham or Felixstowe), and use it for another sailing. Pure speculation though. I can for sure see a single second hand cruise ferry (perhaps larger than King and Princess, but smaller than Colour Magic) and a smaller RoPax, so  they can get the best of both worlds. That being said, I haven't been briefed recently by DFDS about load factors and demands for the routes. 

On a seperate note, I have heard that (again, from my 80% correct source) that Baie De Seine will spend her first returned winter at DFDS (next year, so over a year away) on refit cover, before settling down on an unconfirmed permanent route. Again, I have been told that given the time between this, and the constant chance of change from both DFDS and BF, all this should be taken with intense pinches of salt. It will be interesting to see where BDS does end up...  

If DFDS were to replace the Newcastle-Ijmuiden vessels (and I do not think that will be anytime soon) something like the Cap Finistere or even Silja Europa would be perfect for that route.

On 25/07/2018 at 23:58, Le Quiberon said:

If DFDS were to replace the Newcastle-Ijmuiden vessels (and I do not think that will be anytime soon) something like the Cap Finistere or even Silja Europa would be perfect for that route.

One ship with far less facilities than the current one and one that’s regard as uneconomical, strange choices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

One ship with far less facilities than the current one and one that’s regard as uneconomical, strange choices.

Yeah, they are odd choices, but I get where he's coming from... In reality, none of us can comment on which ships would be best suited, because no one here knows the load factors for the ship, and the relative amenities. 

We'll all find out what DFDS plan in due course - I'm still expecting one second hand cruise ferry, and one upmarket RO-PAX new build. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Although you could make the argument that BF saw Cap Finistere as a suitable replacement ;)

54 minutes ago, Danish Ferry Person said:

Yeah, they are odd choices, but I get where he's coming from... In reality, none of us can comment on which ships would be best suited, because no one here knows the load factors for the ship, and the relative amenities. 

We'll all find out what DFDS plan in due course - I'm still expecting one second hand cruise ferry, and one upmarket RO-PAX new build. 

Surely they would want vessels of equal capacity and standard?

• Like 2

Silja Europa is huge with over 3500 beds and very little car deck space, a cruise ferry in the truest sense and quite similar to the Color line sisters.

I doubt there is any suitable route for her out of the UK unless BF decide to start a PIP-Roscoff-Cork-Santander service designed for footies with deep pockets for a lavish onboard spend for it to be financially viable at about a grand per cabin.

Maybe she'd be popular on a purely passenger orientated new Norway route stopping at Kristiansand, Stavanger and Bergen, charge a bit more and sail around the fjords a bit longer. Turn her into a realistic alternative to the traditional cruise experience the same way St Peter Line have with Princess Anastasia on her round trip jolly across the Gulf of Finland. 

Again it wouldn't be cheap but neither are the straight forward sailing Fantasy and Magic from Kiel and they're full to bursting with queues for the show lounge starting half an hour before the doors open not to mention the long queues at the tills of the 4 or 5 duty free shops onboard.

But not Ijmuiden...

The Peter Pans at Newcastle are popular because they're the best fit for the job. DFDS don't need larger vehicle decks to accommodate much freight as they have Immingham & Vlaardingen sewn up serving Holland and Scandinavia.

One of the few which may be suitable for them is Vikings Amorella, she's one of the many sisters of Crown Seaways and will be available in 2020 but as she's only 12 months younger (1988) what would be the point... another destined for the Moby paintbrush no doubt.

Cap' Finistere? Too much vehicle space which would be wasted and not enough going on upstairs to make her attractive to the mini-cruise party atmosphere the route is so good at.

My gut tells me neither are going anywhere for a fair bit longer yet.

• Like 1

Did they not just invest a good bit money on a refit for the Amsterdam ships? Seems to be a popular route judging by availability and price so it would suggest folk are happy enough with the ships.

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Did they not just invest a good bit money on a refit for the Amsterdam ships? Seems to be a popular route judging by availability and price so it would suggest folk are happy enough with the ships.

Yep, they're in pretty decent shape for 31 years old. Well worth an overnight trip and a coach ride into Amsterdam if you have the inclination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Yep, they're in pretty decent shape for 31 years old. Well worth an overnight trip and a coach ride into Amsterdam if you have the inclination.

We’re only an hour and a bit away but still haven’t been on them yet a cycling holiday has been mentioned a few times but never got round to it yet.