Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

I looked at the official UK sea statistics data and see the Ijmuiden route had yet another record year passenger traffic wise last year. Around 600,000 were carried. This must at least suggest the future is bright, and that difficult although it is, effort will be put into finding replacements. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Hyde said:

I looked at the official UK sea statistics data and see the Ijmuiden route had yet another record year passenger traffic wise last year. Around 600,000 were carried. This must at least suggest the future is bright, and that difficult although it is, effort will be put into finding replacements. 

Yep, very much a passenger centric route which suits traditional cruise ferries rather than RoPax and clearly illustrates why DFDS wouldn't contemplate moving to another Dutch port.

On 01/05/2019 at 10:19, Ryan_H said:

A week tomorrow  I’m embarking on a trip to Gothenburg via the DFDS route from Ghent. As far as I’m aware this is their only freight route accepting any passengers, and as such is now the closest you can get to a ferry connection from the UK to Scandinavia. I do wonder whether we will see any attempt to build on this offering in the future...

Sadly the chances of any ferry comapny (re)-opening a route to Scandinavia is pretty much zero.

Quibz.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:49, Le Quiberon said:

Sadly the chances of any ferry comapny (re)-opening a route to Scandinavia is pretty much zero.

Quibz.

hopefully with Brexit DFDS will reopen  Uk to Denmark as duty free will come into play where DFDS said they used to make money on

• Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 17:40, sparkey said:

hopefully with Brexit DFDS will reopen  Uk to Denmark as duty free will come into play where DFDS said they used to make money on

I'm not sure duty free would do much even if it were brought back, which I think is unlikely whatever sort of Brexit we end up with (or don't). The tax free shop was always very popular with Norwegians on the route to Newcastle,  as was the outlet at the port itself, but it clearly wasn't enough to keep the route open. 

My main hope is that the current love for budget airlines starts to change, perhaps as a result of new environmental taxes. Perhaps this could, in time, help resurrect some of the lost North Sea routes. 

DFDS’ newest freight ferry named Troy Seaways in Turkey

Following a change to the Turkish flag yesterday, our second Jinling vessel was named Troy Seaways at a festive ceremony in the Pendik Terminal today.

DFDS’ new vessel is similar to the 237-meter-long “Ephesus Seaways” and thus one of the two largest freight ferries in the Mediterranean.  The naming ceremony was hosted by Peder Gellert Pedersen, Executive Vice President of the Ferry Division, and Selçuk Boztepe, Senior Vice President of BU Med.

Among the many guests from customers, media, partners and other stakeholders were name sponsor Mine Sahillioğlu who is the wife of Garip Sahillioğlu, chairman of Mars Lojistik A.Ş, a customer of DFDS’ Mediterranean services.

She was introduced by Selçuk Boztepe, Senior Vice President of BU Med. who also said: “With Troy Seaways, we are proud to continue our tradition of naming our vessels after the UNESCO cultural heritage sites in Turkey. Troy Seaways will further strengthen DFDS’s ferry operations on the Mediterranean route. We hope that this significant investment will have a positive impact on DFDS customers’ operations and Turkey’s exports, just as in the legend of Troy.”

In his lunch speech to the name sponsor, Peder Gellert Pedersen said: “Troy Seaways is now the newest ship in our fleet and a strong symbol of the world today characterised by technology, efficiency and international trade. However, the name you have given it is from ancient history, and this beautiful meeting between old and new is very meaningful for a ship that will sail the same waters and trade in the same places as ships traded thousands of years ago.”

He added: “It is difficult to predict what history will say about our time and this event, but I hope and believe it will manifest as something great in our time. That the freight ferry you have just named will contribute to growth in trade between Turkey and the EU to the benefit of our Turkish logistics customers, the Turkish industry and employment – and that this will also be the case in the EU countries with which we are trading.”

“The ancient name is hopefully also a symbol of resilience. Symbolising that we will be strong enough to withstand the risk of new barriers for trade caused by economic downturns, Brexit or risk of global trade wars, and that we can make our business prosper in the long term and thus earn our right to carry this ancient name across the sea. The ship you have just named is very well fitted for this task. It can carry as many as 450 trailers, making it one of the biggest in the world of its kind. It is also so well designed that it can be loaded and discharged in a few hours, making it one of the most efficient of its time.  And it is due to its size and modern equipment reducing its emissions to the environment per transported trailer significantly, making it one of the most sustainable ones.”

“Troy Seaways” will take up service from Pendik to Europe on June 22, 2019.

Rebranded funnels: Maritime look and clear communication of the name

DFDS is testing a new funnel look. It includes the use of our name rather than the logo and tests a blue wave that aims to underline the maritime nature of our business. The logo isn’t to be used alone but only together with our name to ensure that we are recognised in our markets. Thank you to Mike Hughes for taking the picture.

Some of you might have noticed a change to a couple of funnels on our ferries. The Maltese cross has been replaced by the letters DFDS as can be seen above on the funnel of Ark Germania.

Over the centuries, DFDS has had many different funnels looks – varying from bands of special colours to the recent ones with a huge Maltese cross. “However, we have grown considerably in recent years and are now operating in new markets where we have a rather new history and are less known and where our market studies have revealed that the Maltese cross isn’t directly and automatically associated with DFDS if it is used alone. Therefore, we have started testing a new way of branding our ships to ensure that we communicate our name as efficiently as possible in both our old and new markets,” says Peder Gellert Pedersen, Head of the Ferry Division.

The gradual rebranding process will be managed by Jette Lundquist, Head of Marketing. She says: “We have already rebranded two vessels, and their funnels are now adorned with a light blue wave together with the DFDS name. The blue wave is inspired by the angle in the parallelogram around our logo and by the maritime nature of our business. It provides a sense of movement and energy,” she says.  “The blue colour ensures continuity since it is being used across all online and offline material already.”

No change to logo

“It is important to note that we will not be replacing the logo. However, in the future, we will only use it together with the DFDS name, such as on signs, stationery, equipment and advertisement."

Rebranding-funnnels-ark-germania-845x469.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

“However, we have grown considerably in recent years and are now operating in new markets where we have a rather new history and are less known and where our market studies have revealed that the Maltese cross isn’t directly and automatically associated with DFDS if it is used alone. Therefore, we have started testing a new way of branding our ships to ensure that we communicate our name as efficiently as possible in both our old and new markets,” says Peder Gellert Pedersen, Head of the Ferry Division.

If they are less/not known, what difference will the funnel make? How many companies will choose a ferry crossing because they recognise the funnel???

The Maltese cross looks far better.  Hopefully common sense will prevail in the end and it will be reinstated. It will certainly make the passenger ships look less elegant.

As for the name Troy Seaways, have they fully researched the connotations behind that name? Especially given where she’s being deployed?!

• Like 1

I have just done a return crossing on 'King Seaways' (voyage report coming soon) and have heard on-board, and I wish to confirm sources to myself - that DFDS have put out a tender for two new vessels for the route that will have a larger capacity to take freight.

As has been long discussed whether it is a new-build or whether they are waiting for an opportunity to buy suitable tonnage when available is unknown but as expected DFDS will probably go for something more like what Stena have on the Harwich - Hook routes. Also when I mentioned the tight turning circle on the Tyne this was quickly beaten down as Port of Tyne already handles some medium/large cruise ships.

It was noted that any changes would be a couple of years in the making at least, which is probably why DFDS invested in the two current vessels recently, however, it must be said - particularly on the King - that time is starting to show particularly in the cabins which are nowhere near the standard of the two Stena vessels.

I am guessing time will tell.....

Even if DFDS ordered something similiar to the Harwich twins I would be very surprised if their new ships did not include a proper Lounge bar with full live entertainment and a choice of decent wait service restaurants.

50 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Even if DFDS ordered something similiar to the Harwich twins I would be very surprised if their new ships did not include a proper Lounge bar with full live entertainment and a choice of decent wait service restaurants.

Oh yes I am in no doubt about this, especially given the length of the crossing they will have to appeal to the mini cruise market - so numerous bars, lounges, restraunts etc would be needed.

As mentioned many times before, the route is doing extremely well so I cant see DFDS abandoning it - for me it will be interesting to see if they go for two new builds or look to see whats out there - of which there are very few options. 

One feels that the e-flexers being rolled out of China would have been ideal.

On 23/06/2019 at 13:19, Le Quiberon said:

Oh yes I am in no doubt about this, especially given the length of the crossing they will have to appeal to the mini cruise market - so numerous bars, lounges, restraunts etc would be needed.

As mentioned many times before, the route is doing extremely well so I cant see DFDS abandoning it - for me it will be interesting to see if they go for two new builds or look to see whats out there - of which there are very few options. 

One feels that the e-flexers being rolled out of China would have been ideal.

DFDS don't compete with Stena nor P&O, they don't sail to the same city and their customer base is poles apart compared to four Rotterdam ships. DFDS at Newcastle are about passengers. The route will never see ships similar to the Harwich twins and certainly won't see an E Flexer, Ijmuiden is too small to handle a 186m long Visentini far less a 240m Stena Britannica or a 215m E flexer. It doesn't have anywhere near the space required for freight either. Remember that the Stena's have 8 vehicle decks all capable of handling freight and shoehorn passengers, the Prides are similar but have a slightly more even balance but are still freight focused being able to carry 400 trailers at any one time.

At 160 odd metres the two Peter Pan class they use now are the biggest they'll get in and that's touch and go on a very windy day.

1 hour ago, Le Quiberon said:

Thanks for pointing that out - what tonnage out there do you think would be suitable replacement to the two current sisters?

DFDS mentioned in 2017 that they were seeking a yard to build new ships for the route, everything else is of a similar vintage. I wonder if GSI will get the nod after they complete the two 600 pax 4500 lane metre ferries they're half way through building.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

DFDS mentioned in 2017 that they were seeking a yard to build new ships for the route, everything else is of a similar vintage. I wonder if GSI will get the nod after they complete the two 600 pax 4500 lane metre ferries they're half way through building.

do you have any sources for this?

Also is 600 passengers enough?

2 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

do you have any sources for this?

Also is 600 passengers enough?

The 600 pax ships are being built for the Baltic ready for 2021, they have no connection with Newcastle. There's information on the DFDS press centre website.

My expectation is that they will run the two current vessels into the ground and then close the route (textbook DFDS) - seeing a permanent end to the route.

Just as the Newc' _ Scandi routes never re-opened, neither wil this one. When its gone, it will be gone.