Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

Regarding the Newcastle to IJmuiden route, a couple of FACTS

1. DFDS has publicly stated that the route is performing well

2. There are live plans to bring in replacement tonnage

This was all discussed at the "capital markets day" presentation just last month!

https://www.dfds.com/en/about/investors/capital-markets-day

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An interesting read. I note that they view Newcastle-Amsterdam as a 'ro-pax +' route, as opposed to Copenhagen-Oslo which is seen as a 'cruise' route. This would seem to suggest some kind of enhanced ro-pax vessels for the future, rather than cruise-ferries, though I also note that they are considering 'different renewal models' which presumably means if the right vessels become available somewhere, they might acquire them?

7 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

An interesting read. I note that they view Newcastle-Amsterdam as a 'ro-pax +' route, as opposed to Copenhagen-Oslo which is seen as a 'cruise' route. This would seem to suggest some kind of enhanced ro-pax vessels for the future, rather than cruise-ferries, though I also note that they are considering 'different renewal models' which presumably means if the right vessels become available somewhere, they might acquire them?

The route has strong freight trade as well as the passenger trade, so what would traditionally be called a “cruise ferry” wouldn’t be suitable.  Lack of vehicle space is already an issue and they are looking to grow the route.  There’s nothing wrong with a Ro-Pax - even Brittany Ferries are rather fond of them these days!!!

The future (sadly) is ro-pax.

Judging by the video, DFDS are looking to replace the vessels soon as we already presume, but that is very much ongoing.

It is all speculation but good to see some positivity regarding their vision for Newc-Ij. It would seem crazy for them to close down a very profitable, successful route.