Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

Yes the Tors had pools - but on a 24 hr sailing.

Although you are right to say that the Pearl has one and associated hot tubs, although closed when I was on her last December.  Perhaps the pool on the Wonder and Aki could be utilised during the Summer months as boarding does start around 3 / 4pm.

It’s worthwhile looking at Eckero Line’s Finlandia which is a sister and was thoroughly refurbished by Eckero - a little disappointing makeover in my view, but obviously different considerations required for the short sea Helsinki - Tallinn route compared with Newcastle - Amsterdam.

• Like 1

It will certainly be interesting to see what DFDS do with the 3-tier area overlooking the bow, and also the conservatory-like area at the stern; I'm not sure all that natural light can be used to best effect on their new route somehow...

Edited by Ryan_H

37 minutes ago, Northy said:

Just been enjoying hhvferry’s excellent post on the Aki and associated Superstar. A very interesting read. Many thanks.

http://hhvferry.com/blog/?tag=moby-aki

When I wrote that piece back in 2011 it would have been difficult to foresee that within a decade the three built to operate in southern Europe would end up in northern Europe and the one built to operate in northern Europe would have ended up in southern Europe. 

The ferry world works in delightfully mysterious and unpredictable ways.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ryan_H said:

It will certainly be interesting to see what DFDS do with the 3-tier area overlooking the bow, and also the conservatory-like area at the stern; I'm not sure all that natural light can be used to best effect on their new route somehow...

One seems to think the rear glassed area will be utilised as a bar/club area and front as restaurant/buffet.

I rather hope they leave the lifesize Loony Tunes characters where they are in the passenger spaces. I can imagine some wonderful (no pun intended) scenes at two o'clock in the morning when a drunk Geordie tries to pick a fight with Wile E. Coyote for eyeing up his bird and a stoned Amsterdammer tries to share a spliff (carrot) with Bugs Bunny. Ed. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, hhvferry said:

When I wrote that piece back in 2011 it would have been difficult to foresee that within a decade the three built to operate in southern Europe would end up in northern Europe and the one built to operate in northern Europe would have ended up in southern Europe. 

The ferry world works in delightfully mysterious and unpredictable ways.

Do you think they will keep all that glass on the front of the ferry ? Could we end up with a Pont Aven situation?

Was supposed to travel on King earlier this year but couldn't make it. Will take the number of ex BF boats in the med to 3?

Be interesting to see how they go. I wonder what this might prompt P & O to do with their Zebrugge boats, they're a similar age.  

10 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Was supposed to travel on King earlier this year but couldn't make it. Will take the number of ex BF boats in the med to 3?

If you include the Adriatic as part of the Med, which I think is the official definition, it'll be four core ships - VDL, Pont l'Abbe, Duc de Normandie and Duchesse Anne.

Plus the Gotland and Condor Vitesse which were more marginal to BF.

And not too far away, the Tregastel in the Red Sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Do you think they will keep all that glass on the front of the ferry ? Could we end up with a Pont Aven situation?

I'm sure they will, the cruise aspect of these ships was a key reason they wanted them, to retain that aspect of the Ijmuiden operation rather than a pair of more conventional ro-paxes which would have transformed the route into a more conventional passenger and freight one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

The bow of both ships have a lower fo'c'stle allowing seawater to drain unlike the Pont's which is a flat surface.

• Like 1

I've been looking at some photos and videos of the two new ships. I notice that they appear quite tall and slab-sided  - though I wouldn't describe them as ugly. However given that the current ships regularly need tugs in Ijmuiden, I wonder how the new pair will get on? It will definitely be interesting to see how they cope with the worse the North Sea can throw at them...

11 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

I've been looking at some photos and videos of the two new ships. I notice that they appear quite tall and slab-sided  - though I wouldn't describe them as ugly. However given that the current ships regularly need tugs in Ijmuiden, I wonder how the new pair will get on? It will definitely be interesting to see how they cope with the worse the North Sea can throw at them...

The current vessels are hardly streamlined either tbh.  What Wonder and Aki do have is a LOT of power - over 50,000 kW from the main engines alone.  It remains to be seen of course if they will require tug assistance for what is quite a tight berth to get on to at IJmuiden.  Theres also the possibility DFDS could choose to do some technical upgrades as well.  "Technical Investments" were mentioned in the press release but this could be anything from maintenance to upgrades.  It will be interesting to see what they have planned though.  When FINLANDIA (ex Moby Freedom and direct sister to 'Wonder') came up to Eckero it is said she was in quite poor condition technically despite only being 11 years old, but I'm sure DFDS have given both vessels a thorough inspection and factored in any issues in to their plans.  

Moby have lost two ships capable of 27-28 kts service speed and received vessels of around 20 kts service speed in exchange.  They have not yet confirmed what they have planned for the soon to be former DFDS vessels, though the exchange is wisely taking place in the low season for Moby.  Perhaps there will be some fleet shuffling.

On 06/09/2019 at 21:27, Nick Hyde said:

Now when will Pearl and Crown be replaced?  Now they'll be the old girls in the fleet! 

No current plans for replacement.  Both have had money spent on them in the recent past and it seems the strategy is to continue with the current tonnage, for now at least.  Worth remembering that Crown is younger than BRETAGNE, BARFLEUR, and NORMANDIE and Pearl is only a few years older than the latter two.

On 06/09/2019 at 23:33, Le Quiberon said:

One seems to think the rear glassed area will be utilised as a bar/club area and front as restaurant/buffet.

I'm not sure what the merits of converting the three tiered show lounge area into a restaurant would be?  The twin level area at the stern is already a bar so far as I am aware and the vessels already have multiple dining options.  Hard to say what they will do as they are quite different ships to the current tonnage - perhaps they could even just rebrand the existing facilities to see how things go for the first year or two (not sure how much use an outside pool will be for a North Sea route in winter mind)!  I'm sure we will find out more relatively soon given the vessels are to be delivered at the end of next month.

• Like 2

We were (finally) thinking of using the route next year for few days break and the Mrs will only go if it’s a “good” cabin but I notice in April it’s only coming up with basic sea view and no window cabins so they must be waiting to figure out the configuration of the new ships, it’s still showing King Seaways.

I think there'll be quite a few members of this forum wanting to try these out next year ;) I note from Fakta om Fartyg that the quoted top speed is 29.5 knots - is that accurate? Seems very fast, clearly they won't need to utilise anything like that speed on the Ijmuiden route.

16 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

It remains to be seen of course if they will require tug assistance for what is quite a tight berth to get on to at IJmuiden.

The ships were designed to be Bastia-max which is (/was, they haven't operated there since the Freedom was sold) a bit of a squeeze in summer so they are quite manoeuvrable although they are used to relatively calmer seas most of the time.

Moby have lost two ships capable of 27-28 kts service speed and received vessels of around 20 kts service speed in exchange.  They have not yet confirmed what they have planned for the soon to be former DFDS vessels, though the exchange is wisely taking place in the low season for Moby.  Perhaps there will be some fleet shuffling.

The original concept for the Wonder and Freedom was brilliant: in summer they covered three different routes which previously would have needed four ships: overnight each way Genoa-Olbia with return day trips at either end Genoa-Bastia or Olbia-Civitavecchia.

One rumour is the DFDS ships will take over Olbia-Genoa from the ex-Tors which in turn will flip to the Olbia-Livorno/Piombino routes that the sold ships have done in recent years but even they aren't fast enough to be like for like replacements.

I'm not sure what the merits of converting the three tiered show lounge area into a restaurant would be?  The twin level area at the stern is already a bar so far as I am aware and the vessels already have multiple dining options.  Hard to say what they will do as they are quite different ships to the current tonnage - perhaps they could even just rebrand the existing facilities to see how things go for the first year or two (not sure how much use an outside pool will be for a North Sea route in winter mind)!  I'm sure we will find out more relatively soon given the vessels are to be delivered at the end of next month.

At a guess the self service becomes the smorgasbord and the small formal restaurant becomes a Blue Riband or steakhouse. I think the forward showbar will be kept in full although Corsica Ferries have appropriated part of the top level for more restaurant space on the ex-Superstar.

Then you have the open plan area on the starboard side which has a pizza place, a cafe and the shop plus the aft twin level bar which DFDS may want to shuffle around. Definitely exciting times!

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, neilcvx said:

@hhvferry what range  of cabins do you think they will have?

Pretty standard range, although there isn't much in the way of top tier categories (junior suite is the best). This is from the Moby website for the Wonder - pics aren't necessarily on one of these two but they're instructive enough.

I imagine they will lose the little recliner lounge which is aft on one of the cabin decks but DFDS might also want to add some more premium cabins somewhere. Maybe it could be an extension at the top rather than losing any of the other public spaces.

image.png.3a80d8927238088f69388c4a3dbf7702.png

image.png.f9d7c7b37013baef3f39acbb57b01a64.png

• Thanks 2

What Shipyard will DFDS send the pair to get the work done?

Shame that Moby will no doubt paint there 2 new ships like the rest of there fleet.

5 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

What Shipyard will DFDS send the pair to get the work done?

Shame that Moby will no doubt paint there 2 new ships like the rest of there fleet.

Good question - I'd have thought there's a few yards in the Med. which could do the work? But then DFDS may prefer a 'tried and tested' option in Northern Europe.

On 06/09/2019 at 20:43, Le Quiberon said:

The open deck right at the top of the ship is unsuitable for a North Sea vessel. One of the strong points of the King/Princess is the various deck space on port/starboard and stern of ship.

This move has come quicker than expected, surprised all and caught a few off guard. My feelings are mixed.

2 distinctly Mediterranean vessels on the North Sea? hmmm....

I really don't see your point!

hmmm a third identical sister the FINLANDIA, the former MOBY FREEDOM (built in 2001) operates successfully year round for Eckero Lines from Tallinn to Helsinki and has done since 2012.

Edit... others have mentioned the FINLANDIA.

GSI has released this new artist rendering of the new DFDS Baltic-Class. 2x54000 Grt 230m long Freight oriented Ropax!
Will be ready in 2021 and operate in DFDS network between Baltic state and Germany and will be able to accommodate 4500 Lane meters mostly freight.

Source: Ferryvolution

71472783_2442563179194984_4396808989292101632_o.jpg

• Like 1