Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

22 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

GSI has released this new artist rendering of the new DFDS Baltic-Class. 2x54000 Grt 230m long Freight oriented Ropax!
Will be ready in 2021 and operate in DFDS network between Baltic state and Germany and will be able to accommodate 4500 Lane meters mostly freight.

Source: Ferryvolution

71472783_2442563179194984_4396808989292101632_o.jpg

In the refit thread I mistakenly said that DFDS charter the two ships these will replace... They bought the first whilst under construction and the other back In 2016, they also have an option on Regina although she seems to be returning to Grimaldi next month.

On 06/09/2019 at 22:08, Ryan_H said:

It will certainly be interesting to see what DFDS do with the 3-tier area overlooking the bow, and also the conservatory-like area at the stern; I'm not sure all that natural light can be used to best effect on their new route somehow...

It’s been a while since I’ve been to Newcastle, but is it perpetually dark there? Amsterdam is on about the same latitude as Birmingham.

Would have thought apart from the deepest winter from Nov to Jan, the big windows are perfect for a 5pm departure and 9.15am arrival, especially sailing up the Tyne.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2019 at 21:24, jonno said:

In the refit thread I mistakenly said that DFDS charter the two ships these will replace... They bought the first whilst under construction and the other back In 2016, they also have an option on Regina although she seems to be returning to Grimaldi next month.

Regina remains part of the long term strategy at DFDS, according to their latest market update on the issue anyway!

On 04/10/2019 at 20:54, TonyMWeaver said:

GSI has released this new artist rendering of the new DFDS Baltic-Class. 2x54000 Grt 230m long Freight oriented Ropax!
Will be ready in 2021 and operate in DFDS network between Baltic state and Germany and will be able to accommodate 4500 Lane meters mostly freight.

Source: Ferryvolution

71472783_2442563179194984_4396808989292101632_o.jpg

Original source is actually Chinese media (I sent this to Ferryvolution and DFDS Enthusiasts).  Unfortunately there's no info on how recent a render it is, but I have since received info that indicates this may be an old render.  The funnel logo may indicate this as well, as DFDS are phasing out the Maltese cross (though I don't read into these things too much).

• Like 2

It's good that they've done this and refreshingly up-front and honest. I remember them doing something similar to this back in 2006 when they were taking over the Norway route and selling the Princess of Scandinavia to Moby in the process.  

Interesting that Commodore Cabins are 'under review' - surely they will want to offer the same, if not better, range of cabins as on the current ships?

Does anyone know when the Moby ships are actually being handed over? I only ask because I saw something on YouTube which seemed to imply that they had finished service on 5th October...

1 hour ago, Ryan_H said:

Does anyone know when the Moby ships are actually being handed over? I only ask because I saw something on YouTube which seemed to imply that they had finished service on 5th October...

Moby Aki is currently dry docked in Genoa... I assume Wonder is close by but has her marine tracker turned off.

• Thanks 1

On 08/10/2019 at 19:06, neilcvx said:

“Luxurious cabins” but maybe not commodore ones.

Has this now changed on the Q&A page? It now says that there will be commodore cabins but no commodore lounge.

1 hour ago, Northy said:

Has this now changed on the Q&A page? It now says that there will be commodore cabins but no commodore lounge.

Yep some updates on the Q&A page, I suspect there will be a few updates now and then.

1 hour ago, Northy said:

Yes, it seems to have.

They have also changed the questions about there being a cinema and around food/drink venues:

Current restaurant and bar facilities will move to the new ship. The Columbus Club and Navigator's Bar will be upgraded to a two story seaview facility

So would be a fair assumption that the a la carte on the Moby ships will become North Sea Bistro, the self service becomes Explorers Kitchen and Coffee Crew/Starbucks goes into the pizza/coffee shop location.

Here's another Image of them both courtesy of Ferry Shipping Summit.

Points given for naming the splendid '70's built ship in the middle which made a brief appearance on BF's Caen route... Sailed from Liverpool-Belfast for a bit and Newhaven - Dieppe as did another of her Corsica fleet mates. Her bow can be seen in the image hhv has posted above.

2053591821_NEWDFDS.jpg.51b4040ec668da6d0bb718497df65188.jpg

I * think* it's either the Corsica Victoria or Sardinia Regina? Amazing just how small she looks compared with the two Moby ships! A bit like when you compare modern cars with their 1970s equivalents I suppose...

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Here's another Image of them both courtesy of Ferry Shipping Summit.

Points given for naming the splendid '70's built ship in the middle which made a brief appearance on BF's Caen route... Sailed from Liverpool-Belfast for a bit and Newhaven - Dieppe as did another of her Corsica fleet mates. Her bow can be seen in the image hhv has posted above.

2053591821_NEWDFDS.jpg.51b4040ec668da6d0bb718497df65188.jpg

Yeah... I think the answer is 6 posts up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Danim24 said:

Yeah... I think the answer is 6 posts up!

Yep I saw that after posting, I was hoping you wouldn't notice! Looking at her I thought she was Victoria II and in my defence M'Lud Regina is her twin sister.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jonno said:

Yep I saw that after posting, I was hoping you wouldn't notice! Looking at her I thought she was Victoria II and in my defence M'Lud Regina is her twin sister.

Here's a BF image of her (the current Corsica Victoria). From the good old days when BF followed proper flag logic and painted the flag logo in reverse on the port side of the funnel, like P&O used to.

image.thumb.png.ca970747cbfcaa7d05a15df85e0a8613.png

Edited by hhvferry
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

Here's a BF image of her (the current Corsica Victoria). From the good old days when BF followed proper flag logic and painted the flag logo in reverse on the port side of the funnel, like P&O used to.

image.thumb.png.ca970747cbfcaa7d05a15df85e0a8613.png

Beautiful ships, part Armorique part Prince of Brittany. I used to love the tiered stern decks. I had a flick through the BF fleet book which has a picture of Gotland as was, Corsica seem to have built a hideous looking extension on top of her midships superstructure. Thanks for posting this hhv...

4 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

70s ferries were the most handsome by far. Think MS Hamburg, the Tor twins,  Dana Regina,  Corbiere,  Stena Danica, Mona's Queen etc

On which point, Knud E Hansen did the detailed concept and external styling work for these Moby ships - and, as much as you can style a pair of floating bricks with bows, it shows.

Edited by hhvferry

2 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I might be completely wrong here but have these two ships had their bow doors welded shut?

They look open in the above photo! Ed. 

• Haha 1