Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

Very funny...I was just referring to the scorch marks on the doors, and also on one of the shots of Moby Aki in dry dock, they just looked as though they'd been welded to me that was all. I know a lot of Mediterranean ferries tend only to load through the stern.

2 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

Very funny...I was just referring to the scorch marks on the doors, and also on one of the shots of Moby Aki in dry dock, they just looked as though they'd been welded to me that was all. I know a lot of Mediterranean ferries tend only to load through the stern.

Don't think they were ever welded just not used, shipspotting.com has a few pics of her with them open over the years. 

Certainly when I did a trip on Moby Corse last year, it looked like all the ferries in the region stern load only.  Moby Corse and Moby Otta had their bows welded shut.

file-1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Moby Otta never had bow doors.  Was always a stern-only loader.

That's right, neither did her sister Moby Drea.

17 minutes ago, jonno said:

That's right, neither did her sister Moby Drea.

That's why they looked welded shut then! 😉

Edited by Lapper
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Lapper said:

That's why they looked welded shut then! 😉

Nope, Otta and Drea's bow don't look welded up as the doors where never there in first place. Moby Corse, pictured above on the other hand did have clam shell doors  and used them regularly when she was BF's Pont L'abbe hence the visible welded seam.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonno said:

Nope, Otta and Drea's bow don't look welded up as the doors where never there in first place. Moby Corse, pictured above on the other hand did have clam shell doors  and used them regularly when she was BF's Pont L'abbe hence the visible welded seam.

I get that.  That's why I said they looked welded shut and had an emoji at the end.  I didn't get as close to Otta as I did to Corse (I was right on the quayside until they moved me off as she came onto the berth over 2 hours late!) so I couldn't see clearly and was not aware they didn't feature in the first place.

For me it was a step back in time to go on Moby Corse as I went on her as the Dana Anglia when I was 8 years old.  Still has the red hand rails that I remembered from then and Triangle!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jonno said:

As an aside I recall the Tor ships did have small “bow” doors but located low down on each side just back from the bow. However back on topic does anyone know how often the Newcastle ships used their bow doors?

1 minute ago, Northy said:

As an aside I recall the Tor ships did have small “bow” doors but located low down on each side just back from the bow. However back on topic does anyone know how often the Newcastle ships used their bow doors?

Everyday when they dock in Ijmuiden.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2019 at 19:42, Nick Hyde said:

70s ferries were the most handsome by far. Think MS Hamburg, the Tor twins,  Dana Regina,  Corbiere,  Stena Danica, Mona's Queen etc

Still have my ½ Stein and key ring from 1987 re the start of ms Hamburg being used to ply the route Harwich - Hamburg. They used Hotel of a 100000 stars to England  as advertising, great memories and great ferry. Very tragic when it was involved in the Accident in 1989, how ever the Captain (Captain Kullack)  was exonerated, he had handed over control that evening. It was a very Scenic route down the Elbe  and at a decent time. Especially the weekend stopovers on board in Hamburg. If I remember correctly their was only once when the ship stayed in Hamburg and did not sail due to the weather. It stayed in the port for the two days to keep to the usual schedule. 

IMG_7291.jpeg

Edited by spll
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, spll said:

Very tragic when it was involved in the Accident in 1989,

There's a macabre youtube video from onboard right after that incident which I won't link to because it shows at least one of the victims.

The amount of damage she sustained is incredible though - it's quite remarkable in moderately rough seas that she didn't take water onto what was left of her vehicle deck given how much was exposed to the sea. One surviving passenger was reported to have been flung from the Hamburg's aft lounge onto the bow of the colliding ship.

Image from - https://clinsiel.de/goodbye-hermann-helms/

2017-05-30-Einsatz-HERMANN-HELMS-1k-f%C3%BCr-Englandf%C3%A4hre-e1496242927544.jpg

• Like 1

It appears the King Seaways and Princess Seaways will wear Tirrenia rather than Moby colours next summer as the group shuffles ships between its various brands. Which notionally means DC comics livery rather than Looney Tunes although that distinction has been blurred recently. They are slated to operate on the Genoa-Porto Torres and Genoa-Olbia routes in peak season. No names have yet been announced, they appear in the Moby booking engine simply as KSE and PSE.

Edited by hhvferry
  • Thanks 2

On 17/10/2019 at 18:27, hhvferry said:

It appears the King Seaways and Princess Seaways will wear Tirrenia rather than Moby colours next summer as the group shuffles ships between its various brands. Which notionally means DC comics livery rather than Looney Tunes although that distinction has been blurred recently. They are slated to operate on the Genoa-Porto Torres and Genoa-Olbia routes in peak season. No names have yet been announced, they appear in the Moby booking engine simply as KSE and PSE.

I've been told that Bithia is up for grabs?

6 hours ago, jonno said:

I've been told that Bithia is up for grabs?

Everything is up for grabs. They thought they'd shifted the Bithia to La Meridionale earlier this year but it fell through. If you've got cash and want to buy a ship or a tug or anything which isn't nailed down they're interested.

• Haha 2

On 21/10/2019 at 06:27, hhvferry said:

Everything is up for grabs. They thought they'd shifted the Bithia to La Meridionale earlier this year but it fell through. If you've got cash and want to buy a ship or a tug or anything which isn't nailed down they're interested.

Seems they have to behave now.  While the court in Milan threw out the bankruptcy proceedings it has been reported that unless things improve the directors will be held personally responsible for transactions "carried out in conflict of interests".  I assume that refers to the recent flogging of anything of value in the fleet!  At least they are talking to their creditors now in an attempt to restructure their debt.  How long can their collection of vintage old ladies keep going without pulling down margins further?

1 minute ago, tarbyonline said:

Seems they have to behave now.  While the court in Milan threw out the bankruptcy proceedings it has been reported that unless things improve the directors will be held personally responsible for transactions "carried out in conflict of interests".  I assume that refers to the recent flogging of anything of value in the fleet!  At least they are talking to their creditors now in an attempt to restructure their debt.  How long can their collection of vintage old ladies keep going without pulling down margins further?

Of course what that means in practice...  

http://www.ship2shore.it/it/shipping/le-banche-tardano-a-liberare-dalle-ipoteche-le-navi-di-moby-destinate-a-dfds_72024.htm

(Google Translation)

Banks are slow to release Moby ships destined for DFDS from mortgages

The ferry exchange announced in September hanging on the choice of Unicredit and MPS in turn pressed by the bondholders

The ferry exchange between Moby and the Danish DFDS announced last September seems to be temporarily on stand-by and can hardly be completed by the end of October as the agreement between the parties envisaged.
 The deal does not seem to have been skipped at the moment, but it will almost certainly be destined to undergo a slowdown (as significant at the moment is difficult to predict) caused by the fact that the lending banks, Unicredit and MPS, have so far not raised the mortgages that weigh on the two vehicles  subject to transfer.  Without this formal step the sale obviously cannot be completed.
 To complicate matters, the bondholders' intention (specifically fifteen hedge funds) would also have included the action of the banks in a potential dispute aimed at ascertaining the responsibilities of those who have depleted the assets of the Moby group.  In short, the bondholders, even though they could not actually claim rights on the company fleet, would like the credit institutions not to free the two ferries subject to imminent assignment in favor of DFDS in exchange for the other two older ships (of over  30 years).
 According to Ship2Shore, to date these mortgages have not actually been raised yet, so that the delivery of Moby Aki and Moby Wonder, originally scheduled for this week, has not yet taken place.  Unicredit, in its capacity as security agent for the pool of institutions that provided Moby with a € 200m loan in 2016, is currently conducting legal investigations on behalf of the other exposed banks (MPS, Banco BPM, UBI and Intesa Sanpaolo) on what to do  .  If, in essence, proceed with the cancellation of the mortgages and then proceed with the sale of the ships without encountering responsibility for the fact that they have somehow endorsed the disposal of modern assets.
 However, time is running out because, whatever decision is made, it risks having a significant impact on the future of the blue whale.  Moby, in fact, had budgeted to accumulate capital gains in the year by 31 December for a total of more than 50 million euros also thanks to these transfers.  Without the completion of this operation, the operating results for 2019 will obviously be different from the forecasts, consequently the relationships between the balance sheet items and compliance with the financial covenants agreed with the banks will also be different.  Without forgetting that the blue whale has announced its intention to start a confrontation with the bondholders which could later lead to a debt restructuring pursuant to art.  182 bis L.F.
 Not to be underestimated, finally, even the fact that the DFDS company had planned several weeks of work on site for the modernization of the Moby Aki and Moby Wonder ferries.  A restyling that could now be questioned if the delivery of the ships, and consequently their entry into service on the new connection between Amsterdam and Newcastle, were to suffer a delay too high.
 At this point all that remains is to wait for the next few days to understand how the situation will evolve and what decision will be taken by the credit institutions exposed with the company of the Onorato family.

18 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

That is a shame, wonder what will happen now - could a e-flexer be suitable?

I've booked a trip up to Newcastle this month just to see them before they go!

Agreement with Moby cancelled - DFDS Press Release.

Agreement with Moby cancelled

October 29, 2019/0 Comments

Our passenger ferries on the Amsterdam – Newcastle route offer excellent customer service and will continue doing so until a new solution is in place.

On 6 September 2019, DFDS entered into an agreement with the Italian ferry company Moby to acquire two ferries, Moby Wonder and Moby Aki, for deployment on the Amsterdam-Newcastle route.

Moby would in turn acquire the two passenger ferries currently operating on Amsterdam-Newcastle, King Seaways and Princess Seaways.

The agreement was expected to be completed in the second half of October 2019 but Moby has unfortunately not been able to meet the delivery terms of the agreement. The agreement has therefore been cancelled.

“We will continue to explore solutions for a renewal of the ferries on the Amsterdam-Newcastle route in line with our customers’ wishes and our strategic ambitions for the route and for DFDS.

The two current ferries offer a great service today, and they will continue doing so until a new solution with new ferries is in place. Therefore, this will not change our plans for developing the route, it will merely delay it,” says Peder Gellert, EVP and Head of DFDS’ Ferry Division.

https://www.dfds-news.com/featured/agreement-with-moby-cancelled/?fbclid=IwAR0z6HTyp70s-dIk1yAndJU8OTjdJGxdjRcSDIzsTfl3LB_qISkZBaN8X04

• Confused 1

Was really looking forward to seeing the Moby ships on the Amsterdam route. Will any other new replacements, including e-flexers, really equal the potential wow factor the Moby ships would have brought? Those forward facing double level public rooms looked particularly impressive.