Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

DFDS are now dealing with amendments to May bookings as follows:

For travel until 31st of May 2020, DFDS offers two alternatives:
• Free rebooking (no amendment fees apply). If the new ticket is more expensive than the original ticket, the customer will pay the difference.
• Free cancellation (no amendment fees apply) and a travel credit equivalent to the ticket price will be issued and can be used as payment on future sailings.
• In order for the above to come into effect, the customer must advise us latest 24 hours before departure
• Travel Credits expire 31 Dec 2020 and travel must be conducted latest 30 June 2021
• The travel credit is a personal travel credit and cannot be transferred to others
• This goes for individual bookings independently of booking channel (direct or 3rd parties)
• The above applies for all routes and is for ferry crossings & mini cruise only (not packages)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Angel said:

DFDS are now dealing with amendments to May bookings as follows:

For travel until 31st of May 2020, DFDS offers two alternatives:
• Free rebooking (no amendment fees apply). If the new ticket is more expensive than the original ticket, the customer will pay the difference.
• Free cancellation (no amendment fees apply) and a travel credit equivalent to the ticket price will be issued and can be used as payment on future sailings.
• In order for the above to come into effect, the customer must advise us latest 24 hours before departure
• Travel Credits expire 31 Dec 2020 and travel must be conducted latest 30 June 2021
• The travel credit is a personal travel credit and cannot be transferred to others
• This goes for individual bookings independently of booking channel (direct or 3rd parties)
• The above applies for all routes and is for ferry crossings & mini cruise only (not packages)

Thanks that's really helpful. Myself and family members have bookings in May so this is very reassuring. 

5 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

Thanks that's really helpful. Myself and family members have bookings in May so this is very reassuring. 

Ryan, to obtain a travel credit there is a link to a form you can fill in on DFDS Covid-19 FAQ page https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-ferries/corona-virus or you can call them on 0800 917 12 01 to discuss an amendment.  As I was planning to travel for a specific event in May and wouldn't be likely to make use of a travel credit I asked for a refund and this was agreed.

• Like 2

Thank you, I had booked Dover-Dunkirk around a concert in Ostend on 4th May. Bizarrely, it has hasn't yet been cancelled. I'm happy to defer the booking assuming it is rearranged for another date this year. 

Posted (edited)

Amsterdam - Newcastle  service now suspended up to and including 20th May

Following the continued government measures intended to delay the spread of COVID-19 virus, we regret to inform you that we will now suspend sailings on our Amsterdam - Newcastle service up to and including 20th May.

We fully understand the government precautions have important health goals, and as our priority is to ensure the safety and health of our customers and crew, we have taken this difficult decision.

Please note that it is possible to re-book online and we encourage customers to do that as soon as possible here https://fal.cn/37sue. Bookings that have not been rebooked online via self-service by Friday 24th April will automatically be cancelled and a travel credit issued. 

As our phone lines are currently very busy, we kindly ask you to e-mail us with any queries on travel.sales@dfds.com or alternatively, visit our frequently asked questions here https://fal.cn/37suf.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause our valued passengers and we hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely 
Kasper Moos, VP & Head of Passenger

DFDS

Edited by neilcvx
  • Thanks 2

https://www.dfds-news.com/featured/passenger-business-in-the-time-of-corona/
highlight is,

“We do not anticipate a big-bang restart. Rather, we expect a gradual start with an initial focus on certain passenger groups. Our assumption is that initially, there will be a higher demand for holiday travel and other travel than for short cruise trips with on-board events and experiences,” he says.

“Even a well-planned, controlled and gradual restart will not remove all the uncertainties which the coronavirus crisis has created 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

https://www.dfds-news.com/featured/passenger-business-in-the-time-of-corona/
highlight is,

“We do not anticipate a big-bang restart. Rather, we expect a gradual start with an initial focus on certain passenger groups. Our assumption is that initially, there will be a higher demand for holiday travel and other travel than for short cruise trips with on-board events and experiences,” he says.

“Even a well-planned, controlled and gradual restart will not remove all the uncertainties which the coronavirus crisis has created 

Is a closure of Newc - Ijm immanent? 

55 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

MV Sharkface is sad:(

It’s almost as if the Economie branding was designed to make ships look odd. In full DFDS livery she looks like a proper ship.

I’m sure she would have looked great in full BF livery (the old one) too. 😉

• Like 1

I've always enjoyed sailing on her, the deck 10 cabins were as good as the older '89-'92 commodores and a lot cheaper, never had a bad meal on her, never felt claustrophobic considering her limited superstructure, her quiet lounge with wifi wouldn't have been out of place on any other vessel, the dog walking area was a totally exclusive pet owner open deck space, perfect for our canine loving friends and the Saturday morning sailing to Santander was very civilised.

It's no wonder that DFDS wanted her back. Shame BF couldn't have kept her.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amsterdam - Newcastle service now suspended up to and including 3rd June

Due to continued government measures intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19 virus, we will unfortunately now suspend sailings on our Amsterdam Newcastle service up to and including 3rd June.

We fully understand the government precautions have important health goals, and as our priority is to ensure the safety and health of our customers and crew, we have taken this difficult decision.

To rebook, please email us on travel.sales@dfds.com. Bookings that have not been rebooked by Friday 15th May will automatically be cancelled and a travel credit issued. 

As our phone lines are currently very busy, we kindly ask you to e-mail us with any queries on travel.sales@dfds.com or alternatively, visit our frequently asked questions here https://dfds.co/FAQ-UK.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause our valued passengers and we hope to see you again soon.

Sincerely 

Kasper Moos, VP & Head of Passenger

https://www.facebook.com/25821818116/posts/10158449851673117/?substory_index=0

Edited by neilcvx
  • Thanks 1

https://www.facebook.com/25821818116/posts/10158523102318117/

⛴COTE D’OPALE ⛴
Almost one year after the first steel plate was cut, COTE D’OPALE has made her first milestone – float-up & launch into the water at the shipyard where has been built! 🍾
She will now undergo her internal fitting before setting sail in June 2021 to service our Dover-Calais route & join our eight other ships sailing on routes between the UK & France. We’ll look forward to bringing you more news of her progress and welcoming her to our fleet!

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if the Ijmuiden route does start again next month, and if it does, what measures they put in place onboard. For a route which heavily promotes 'entertainment' (i.e. a lot of boozing) I'd have thought the challenges will be significant. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

It'll be interesting to see if the Ijmuiden route does start again next month, and if it does, what measures they put in place onboard. For a route which heavily promotes 'entertainment' (i.e. a lot of boozing) I'd have thought the challenges will be significant. 

I asked that question on Twitter and got i we don’t know answer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DFDS have said that the Newcastle ships will remain in Amsterdam until the 17th June, same goes for Pearl & Crown Seaways in Copenhagen.

This from SHIPPAX.

BU Short Routes & Passenger have extended the suspension of our Amsterdam – Newcastle and Copenhagen – Oslo services until 17 June.

“Our ability to resume sailings is, as you know, very dependent on the national measures to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. “If our passengers can’t cross borders, we can’t sail and therefore have no alternative but to extend the suspension,” says Kasper Moos, Head of BU Short Routes & Passenger.

“Our customer service colleagues are now working hard to inform our customers about this, rebook travel and handle requests.

“We are all very eager to start sailing again, and we are even receiving requests from passengers who can’t wait to get out to sea with us. However, there is little we can do until the relevant nations have reopened borders for travellers and tourists. Even though some governments have indicated they will make a decision about this before mid-June, patience is still required as we don’t know what they will decide. We also need both Denmark and Norway to open their borders before we can start sailing on the Copenhagen – Oslo route. The same goes for the Netherlands and the UK for the Amsterdam – Newcastle route.”

“As we informed earlier, working groups are already looking into which changes a post-Covid-19 operation will require in the market and on board. However, one thing is certain: When the borders reopen, we can offer one of the safest means of travel. There is plenty of space for social distancing on those large ferries, and passengers have their own cabins. We will of course continue to comply with all recommendations for using public areas and restaurants, including extra cleaning and disinfecting touchpoints to protect the health of both passengers and colleagues.”

Edited by jonno
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have been thinking about this route alot and what DFDS plan to do with it as it is, essentially, sold as a mini cruise generally.

The pandemic is going to change ferry/cruise travel until everyone has been vaccinated which will be a long time.

Its a horrendous thought for those who enjoy ferry/cruise travel.

The good thing is that this route ie very popular so if it does end, another operator could run it and make it a success if done properly.

Edited by Le Quiberon

I was pleasantly surprised by Calais Seaways when I sailed on her last year, probably the nicest ferry I've sailed on Dover-Calais (though having the club lounge to ourselves probably helped!) I guess she'll be for the chop when the new E-Flexer arrives. 

• Like 2

Sadly my only real memory of her was the forward lounge and not liking the small forward facing windows. This must be either during P&OSL or P&O times, not sure exactly when.

• Like 1