Danish Ferry Person

DFDS SEAWAYS: News & Updates

In a way it would have been a nice idea for DFDS to have upgraded the front of Princess in line with what BF did to King. But then again that would have involved investment in passenger ships so perhaps not surprising it didn't happen.

I actually think the Princess has a slight edge over the King; I find the bar and restaurant areas slightly nicer, especially the lovely compass bar in the Princess. I actually thought the King worked better as val de Loire in her previous life, but DFDS should be commended for keeping both ships in such excellent condition, if nothing else.

We've discussed this route's future a number of times now and i still think that ultimately DFDS will either pull out of this route or transfer the current Copenhagen-Oslo ships over in a few years time.

In a way it would have been a nice idea for DFDS to have upgraded the front of Princess in line with what BF did to King. But then again that would have involved investment in passenger ships so perhaps not surprising it didn't happen.

I understand where you're coming from Gareth but I look at it this way.

Most of the early to late '80's cruise ferry's are still going strong, the Peter Pans, the Croatian built sisters, the twins working for Stena and St Peter Line and let's not forget Mariella, Anastasia & Cinderella. all covering very busy sea routes carrying millions of passengers on a yearly basis.

Most if not all have had major rebuilds in their lifetime and a few have seen life on the other side of the world before returning to home waters. I think that is a testament to the investment made in them in what for many is now well over a quarter of a century of service. Stena Saga & Princess Maria are both 35 years old.

Tallink spent 10m euros on Europa last summer and have announced a further 15m euro investment in her for early 2017, she's only a year younger than Normandie.

I'll be honest, I wish BF would adopt a similar strategy, it's probably too late in the day for Bretagne, Normandie & Barfleur but surely keel up refits for the Pont, Armorique & MSM would guarantee a further 15 years rather than having to start thinking about new builds when they're just in their early 20's

Services go every other day from the 11th of January until Febuary 21st.

Thanks - I'm guessing they will go to Poland. I'm sailing on the King on February 15th so she must be in first....will track on Marinetraffic.

It will be interesting to see whether or not they receive the new colour scheme, most of the fleet now seems to have been re painted so you'd have thought they would...

King went up for last year :=)

oh right, thx - Gareth was correct then.........never realised that Amsterdam was a dry-docking option for DFDS, cheaper than sailing to Poland.

King Seaways has left Ijmuiden and currently off the West coast of Denmark heading North.....so most likely heading to Poland, Marinetraffic unhelpfully still shows Ijmuiden as the destination.

Edit - destination now showing as Gdansk.

Edited by ac_freeman

King Seaways has left Ijmuiden and currently off the West coast of Denmark heading North.....so most likely heading to Poland, Marinetraffic unhelpfully still shows Ijmuiden as the destination.

Edit - destination now showing as Gdansk.

Where she will be reunited with her former fleetmate, Bretagne! :)

I've been trying to find some pictures of her post-refit, does anyone know if the new livery has been applied? Thanks

Me too - nothing so far, worst case I will be able to let you know after my sailing on King Seaways next week....

Looks very smart indeed....I do like the new colour scheme in the Columbus Club. Funny that they have not added the new colour scheme to the hull, they obviously have their reasons - looking forward to seeing her for myself next week, must be 2 or 3 years since I last sailed on her........ don't think I'll need my sun cream :)

Edited by ac_freeman